Is Jamison Crowder going to return at any point?

Jim

Hey so I don't post much on here, cuz I don't want to add nonsense where none is needed, but I noticed that we've never really gotten any kind of info on Crowder besides the fact that he is on injured reserve. Has anybody heard anything? I know he didn't get a ton of a chance to show what he could do this season, and as of his injury didn't seem to establish a major rapport with Josh, but he was sure-handed as a returner and it couldn't hurt to have another veteran receiver. So what's the deal? Should we assume his career as a Bill is done, or maybe do we get him back late season?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We haven't heard when he'll return. His ankle was actually broken (October 3rd reported) and that's killer for a guy who has to cut. Wouldn't be surprised if it's another 2 - 3 weeks at least. Depends on how serious the break is, of course.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/03/jamison-crowder-broke-his-ankle-sunday/

Edited by Thurman#1

41 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hey so I don't post much on here, cuz I don't want to add nonsense where none is needed, but I noticed that we've never really gotten any kind of info on Crowder besides the fact that he is on injured reserve. Has anybody heard anything? I know he didn't get a ton of a chance to show what he could do this season, and as of his injury didn't seem to establish a major rapport with Josh, but he was sure-handed as a returner and it couldn't hurt to have another veteran receiver. So what's the deal? Should we assume his career as a Bill is done, or maybe do we get him back late season?

Unless they re-sign him, I think his career as a Bill is done.

Dr Kyle Trimble (Banged Up Bills) is usually a pretty good source.  He wrote on the injury after it happened:

He likely suffered a high-ankle sprain with fracture/dislocation. This is the result of the foot being pushed up and getting twisted outward for the high-ankle mechanism. When the foot gets twisted out, the foot complex pushes on the lateral malleolus, and with another force pinning the fibula from above such as the tackle, the bone breaks. This commonly leads to dislocation in the ankle complex as well.

On average, NFL players who have suffered a distal fibula fracture (broken ankle) missed a total of 123.8 days (4 months). Even if he suffered an isolated fibula fracture without any associated damage that required surgery, he would miss 117.1 days (3.8 months). 90 percent of players who suffer this injury return to play the following season. The four-month mark from his surgery date would be the divisional playoffs.

In the best-case scenario, I would consider a return similar to what former Alabama and now Dolphins WR Jaylen Waddle went through in 2020, returning in 11 weeks to play in the National Championship game. Even then, he wasn’t much of a factor and was visibly limited in his abilities. Unfortunately, Crowder is nowhere near as talented as Waddle......Taking this all into account, his season is effectively over. 

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I expected him to fit better in this offense. I was a fan of his previous work. Definitely expected injuries with him but it’s sad it was a longer injury. 
Unless there are more injuries to the receiver group and he rushes to get back I don’t think he’ll play for buffalo again. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jim said:

Broken ankle - anywhere from probably 10 at the low end to season ending.  Depends how bad everything was, but we probably won't hear anything for another 4-6 weeks.

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Depends on the bone, where the fracture is on it... is it displaced... surgery usually means screws inserted to keep it from displacing... ? will they remove screws and is there any ligament damage?  

He's done with Buffalo. We have McNugget, Shakir, and are still in the running for OBJ (along with like 5 other teams it seems). Either way, with the injury and how the roster is right now I can't imagine him ever coming off of IR this season. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.