Ettiquacy when you aren't a fan of your local team????

The Poojer

When I lived in DC, I never rooted for the Redskins or Capitals. At the time, the Redskin fans could still remember their Joe Theismann/John Riggins/Hogs dynasty years, and they were insufferable. I hated Fridays during the season.

I hear their fans have been humbled and taken down a notch given their recent seasons poor performance. The Snyder ownership hasn't been as cheery as the Jack Kent Cook era. The sorrow surrounding the Commanders (4-4) makes me happy.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the 76ers, they are the old syracuse nationals, so i have that connection, but i will NEVER jump on a teams bandwagon just because i happen to live there.  I see too many people who have no issue acting as if they are life long fans just because they are in post season. 

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Eagles suck, Phillies suck, Flyers suck, Sixers suck.  Why do you live there again?  Go Catamounts baby!!

1 hour ago, boater said:

When I lived in DC, I never rooted for the Redskins or Capitals. At the time, the Redskin fans could still remember their Joe Theismann/John Riggins/Hogs dynasty years, and they were insufferable. I hated Fridays during the season.

I hear their fans have been humbled and taken down a notch given their recent seasons poor performance. The Snyder ownership hasn't been as cheery as the Jack Kent Cook era. The sorrow surrounding the Commanders (4-4) makes me happy.

Anybody that roots for the Capitals who was born above the Mason-Dixon Line, those carpetbaggers should be tarred and feathered!

[COUGH, COUGH @SlimShady'sSpaceForce]

Bit... Of a tangent. I was just reading about what they do with hats that get thrown down on the ice for a hat trick.  I guess it depends on team.  Many have different polices, including making them available to charity, or the original owner, the player, etc... Anyway, rumor has it Alexander Ovechckin chooses to keep them for himself.  WITH this knowledge, color me shocked! 😆/sarcasm.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/hat-trick-hats-auston-matthews-1.3802159

"Some players prefer to keep some of the hats as mementos of their three-goal nights (Alexander Ovechkin is alleged to be one such cap collector.)..."

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I like the 76ers, they are the old syracuse nationals, so i have that connection, but i will NEVER jump on a teams bandwagon just because i happen to live there.  I see too many people who have no issue acting as if they are life long fans just because they are in post season. 

The 76ers were my team when I was younger.  While I was a huge Cuse fan, my favorite college player at the time was Charles Barkley.  I also liked Allen Iverson in college, so my Philly fandom continued when they drafted AI.  I since have tuned out of NBA basketball.  Not interesting or exciting to me at all anymore.

I moved to Chicago and married a Bears fan, so I'll politely cheer for them when they're on if it doesn't impact the Bills. Though, the Bears are such a mess, she doesn't want to watch them anymore and prefers watching the Bills. We just picked up tickets for the Christmas Eve game and I'm not sure if she's going to be wearing Bills gear or Bears gear...

In the past, we've tried to go to Delilah's a couple times a season. It's one of the two Bills bars in the city and has more of a tailgate feel than the other one, Lincoln Station.

We haven't been yet this season, partly because the Bills have been on tv here a decent amount this season. But with a stretch of games in the early slate coming up, we'll probably pop in a couple times in the coming weeks.

Also, watching the Bears makes me feel very good about the Bills...

I look for reasons to like them depending on the sport. Right now I want the Chastain kid to win turning left this weekend because dude had balls the size of grapefruit to pull that move off in Martinsville. Phili wise I wanted Iverson back then because he made a difference and made the game different. I like cheering for the Hurricanes because they're a fun presentation at their games. College football i cheer for anyone playing ichigan or an SEC team. 

Can't stand the Yankees, Mets, or Knicks.  Suppose the Blue Jays are really more of our hometown team as we are closer to Toronto, so in baseball I cheer for them.

Basketball, I watch and cheer for whatever team has the player I like to watch the most.  Right now its Luka and the Mavs.

Football I watch all of it and cheer for whoever can help the  Bills the most by winning.   Also always seemed to like the history of the Packers.

Edited by thenorthremembers

by the thread title answering specifically that question: When aren't you  a fan of your local team?

My Answer: when that teams jumps ship up the I-5 from san diego to LA. I used to respect the Chargers and there are tons of connections between our teams going back decades. But the rat b****** owners Alex and Dean Spanos played a money grab to leave town and screw the diehard san diego charger faithful.  Charger gear and swag were actually burned in bonfires lol. You catch my drift.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.