Poll: Do you prefer full throttle offense or clock management when ahead in games?

Lost

Poll: Do you prefer full throttle offense or clock management when ahead in games?   

139 members have voted

1. 1. When the Bills are up by 2 touchdowns or more do you keep the pedal to the metal or run out the clock on the ground?

• Stay on the gas even if there's more risk of int's or giving the opposing team more possessions
    • Control the clock and win the game on the ground
    • Just do whatever is working

I like smart football. Don't be careless. Don't take unnecessary risks. Try not to turn over the ball.

Other than that, full throttle ahead. You can be smart and still aggressive. But also, be willing to change things up if things aren't working.

It depends on offense and defense Bills are facing.

If the offense is a high scoring one you need to weigh whether giving that offense more chances is good idea.

If the defense is one which is good at takeaways (no takeaways are not luck) then you need to question taking chances.

It also has to be weighed about injuries to Bills team and opponent as well as how long each part of team has been on the field.

Bills K-gun used to exhaust opposing defenses but also exhausted Bills defenses because offense was on field for short periods of time.

There is no absolute on this.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Lost said:

This bothers me as well.  I have haunting memories of the Bills bend but dont break defense of the 90s every time they start getting too conservative.  

I love what the defense is doing this year they don’t have to blitz because the line is getting so much pressure on its own which allows us to drop more players back in coverage

Teams will get first downs they will move the ball between the 20s but eventually the defense figures them out

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm for using brains.  Two games in a row, the Bills have 2nd and goal from the 3 yard line, and come away with 0 points after refusing to run the football.  

I hear you….but it’s tough to take the ball out of 17s hands when we’re goal to go.  He’s a human TD

You don't want to be that team that goes from passing attack and up 3-4 scores then puts there foot on the pedal rushing the ball, loses all the momentum and offensive rhythm. That happens to all these teams so I don't mind Allen and the O going full throttle even if he throws 2 picks

Stay on the gas and here's why... the ultimate goal is to win the super bowl. To do so we are going to need to beat the Chiefs and/or other high powered teams. To beat those teams you are going to need to keep the peddle to the metal. Flooring it the entire game without turning the back over is not easy to do, and doing so through the regular season is just preparing us for the playoffs, you can't expect to do something well that you haven't prepared and practiced. 

It's not about winning a regular season game, it's about preparing the team for the super bowl run. 

I am never one to advocate for getting away from a game where you are winning throwing to suddenly feature the run because you are ahead. The issue on Sunday was the gameplan that got them 17 points up at half time featured a fair dose of the run game. Even excluding the two carries for McKenzie (one of which was a touchdown) and the Josh runs the Bills ran 9 times for 79 yards in the first half. That is 8.7 yards a carry. They were stopped for fewer than 4 yards just twice in those 9 plays. They came out to start the second half still 14 points up when they got the ball for the first time.... from then until the second interception they ran 22 offensive plays. Only 4 were runs. They got away from what was working for some reason. That is tough to defend with "oh well they were being aggressive." I am not advocating them going passive. Just keep playing the game. 

It really depends on the game, situation and opponent.  

There is no "identity."  The approach needs to be pragmatic.  Offense and defense.

I know it pissed a lot of people off, but allowing Green Bay to run the ball was the right play with a two-score lead.  They killed the clock on themselves.  The only reason it was an issue (which it really never turned out to be) for the Bills, was because they weren't making tackles.

Anyway ... the answer to the original question will be different week-to-week, in my opinion.

17 hours ago, The Dean said:

There's no 100% right answer. Depends on the team you are playing, to some extent. Depends on how your team is playing. Any big injuries during the game? Defense tiring? What's the score/score differential/time of game/etc.

So my answer is: IT DEPENDS.

Do you trust the HC to make these decisions?  In this case, yes I do.

Some people are acting like we lost when it was a double digit victory against a HOF QB. Alright, it got a bit ugly for a while. It could/should have been much better.  That’s not the end of the world. Win and move on. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I know it pissed a lot of people off, but allowing Green Bay to run the ball was the right play with a two-score lead.  They killed the clock on themselves.  The only reason it was an issue (which it really never turned out to be) for the Bills, was because they weren't making tackles.

It was an issue because they blew all my parlays by keeping JA off the field 😄

• Haha (+1) 1

The playcalling was fine Sunday night. It was the player execution that screwed it up. Namely, Josh.

He and the WRs got too wrapped up in Alexander's head games, and in both INTs Josh was trying to do too much and force a pass in order to let Diggs embarrass Alexander. And both backfired.

Had Josh and the WRs just told Alexander "scoreboard" and stayed in their games, we would have scored 2 more TDs and totally blown them out. And none of us would be questioning the plan to stay on the gas.

edit: For transparency I voted "Do whatever works"

Edited by DrDawkinstein

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.