Poll: Do you prefer full throttle offense or clock management when ahead in games?

Lost

Poll: Do you prefer full throttle offense or clock management when ahead in games?   

139 members have voted

1. 1. When the Bills are up by 2 touchdowns or more do you keep the pedal to the metal or run out the clock on the ground?

• Stay on the gas even if there's more risk of int's or giving the opposing team more possessions
    • Control the clock and win the game on the ground
    • Just do whatever is working

Not sure if anyone caught these interesting soundbytes from Ken Dorsey's press conference on 10/31 but media pundits were pressing him about his decision to keep attacking on offense when they were up 17 against the Packers which led to Allen throwing 2 picks vs.  playing more conservative by running the ball and winding the clock out the rest of the game.  His response was "Our job is to go out there and score points and we're going to do that the best way possible with the tools we have until we're told differently."  He also went on to say "When you're playing an offense led by Aaron Rodgers, when you start to get into trouble is when you stop being yourself by playing to keep Aaron Rodgers off the field instead of going out there and scoring points yourself."   

I couldn't help but smile when Dorsey said this because I for one love the aggressiveness of the offense regardless of score but I feel like it probably eats away at the soul of Sean McD a little bit when we're out there passing the ball in the 4th quarter while up by 17 points especially when it leads to 2 interceptions.  I feel like it bothered McD even more so in this game because we were running the ball pretty effectively ourselves in the first half. 

So just curious what everyone elses thoughts are on the issue.   

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I support whatever is working for the offense. 
My real beef usually comes from the defense going too conservative when buffalo has a decent lead. 

This bothers me as well.  I have haunting memories of the Bills bend but dont break defense of the 90s every time they start getting too conservative.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

There's a time and place for everything.  For example, after the Cook catch and then the Cook run, we had a second and goal from the three yard line with a little over ten minutes left in the game and a 27 - 10 lead.  I'm sorry but the call there should have been to run on second down.  If you don't get in, run on third down and if you still aren't in, either kick the field goal or go for it on fourth down. You are either up 34 - 10, 30 - 10 or 27 - 10 and GB has the ball around the one yard line with about 8 minutes left.  I'd really like to see if this team is capable of bull rushing the ball into the end zone from inside the five.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

There's a time and place for everything.  For example, after the Cook catch and then the Cook run, we had a second and goal from the three yard line with a little over ten minutes left in the game and a 27 - 10 lead.  I'm sorry but the call there should have been to run on second down.  If you don't get in, run on third down and if you still aren't in, either kick the field goal or go for it on fourth down. You are either up 34 - 10, 30 - 10 or 27 - 10 and GB has the ball around the one yard line with about 8 minutes left.  I'd really like to see if this team is capable of bull rushing the ball into the end zone from inside the five.

If there ever was a time and a place to go conservative, it doesn’t get any better than that scenario.

• Like (+1) 2

Having watched our beloved Bills get their arses handed to them by Tommy/Hoodie so many times I looked forward to our time and now it’s here.

I remember a NE game where they just arbitrarily ran the ball down our throats for a whole drive preceded and followed by the old Tommy/ Edelman pitch and catch show.

I want to see this team and JA get so comfortable  and capable in multiple sets that we can do what we want when we want 

25 minutes ago, Lost said:

"When you're playing an offense led by Aaron Rodgers, when you start to get into trouble is when you stop being yourself by playing to keep Aaron Rodgers off the field instead of going out there and scoring points yourself."   

Truth!  Add Mahomes to that list.

The Falcons really put out the blueprint for how to blow a lead in a big game. I get what they were trying to do - "don't play not to lose."  But Ryan was rushing up to the line when they had that big lead, and they were getting a lot of plays off with over 10 seconds still on the clock.

It's case by case, but the clock CAN be your friend when you have a 2+ score lead.  The best teams can usually switch to the run game & break hearts as they grind out one 1st down after another....

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, just win the games.  Yeah, JA17 is best in business and will prolly be here for a long time.  I am glad that the days of debating EJM are long gone.  But, my god.  Situational football.  Still not great in that regard, but then again there are two teams in the AFC to beat, and likely the same number in the NFC.  So I like the odds, and I say this as someone who does not gamble whatsoever.

There's no 100% right answer. Depends on the team you are playing, to some extent. Depends on how your team is playing. Any big injuries during the game? Defense tiring? What's the score/score differential/time of game/etc.

So my answer is: IT DEPENDS.

Do you trust the HC to make these decisions?  In this case, yes I do.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I support whatever is working for the offense. 
My real beef usually comes from the defense going too conservative when buffalo has a decent lead. 

This is the correct answer. I absolutely loathe prevent defense and this team executes it horribly (13 seconds). They even use it on 3rd and long plays. How many 3rd and 20's is this team going to give up before they realize they don't need to go 30 yards back and then have the team throw it short and we miss 5 tackles? I don't see any reason to ever change up your offense or defense. Just play football

• Agree 1

In the circumstance of the 2nd interception, I think you run the ball there.  Up 17, run it twice.  Bleed about 90 seconds off the clock and go up by 20 with the easy FG.  Alternatively, you might even punch it in and go up by 24.  With either result, you take wind out of the other teams' sails.

Throwing the ball on the earlier one was a little bit more palatable because they were not in easy FG range, so they needed to get closer anyway.  I think that Josh could have run for the 1st down/TD in either situation, but I think they are telling him not to run and take unnecessary hits when he doesn't have to.  If the game is on the line, he should run there.  Up 17 at home with not a lot of time left, better to not run.  Of course, run and slide would have been OK.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Mahomes would certainly try the short touchdown throw in that situation to pad his stats. I sensed Josh was trying to keep pace. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.