Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

On 11/2/2022 at 6:07 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

I believe they made the move with an eye towards the salary cap for next season.

They had just resigned Hines to a pretty sizable contract for a back up RB with the intent to get him more involved. Reports were he had even spent a lot of time with the WR group in camp as well. Since then they have seen Deon Jackson step up and play well in the game Taylor missed at RB. Michael Pittman came back healthy and looks like a pretty legit #1 WR and Alec Pierce has been one heck of a weapon for them. It's a chance for them to get younger and cheaper at the skill positions in what may well amount to a lost season. 

The Colts also have a couple RBs on their practice squad, including Philip Lindsey.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2022/11/1/23435417/nyheim-hines-contract-bills-trade-restructure-salary-this-year-next-colts-dead-money

This year Bills owe $1,833,333/17 per game.  \

Hines played 7 games so far this season missing week 6 game against WTF (concussion) with Colts not having bye week.

Players can only play 17 regular games a season but not sure if being inactive counts as "playing".

Likely he will be inactive vs Jets.

I think Hines will be active and play on Sunday, even if it's only as a PR. Beane stated that Shakir got throw into PR duties when Crowder went down. And that because he's a rookie they don't want to put too much on him and want him to concentrate solely on being a WR.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Who was more painful to watch get the ball, Tolbert or Moss? I still say Tolbert

Tolbert at least the excuse of being 243 pounds. Moss is just 205 pounds. There's some misconception (maybe because of his "business decisions" quote that was like a great tagline for a bad movie) that Moss is some bruiser or the "thunder" to someone's lightning. He isn't. He's 205 pounds, yes, 205 pounds and slow and that's about it.

If you're 205 pounds as a back, you better have wheels. Or a bus ticket.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Is this an either/or? Or am I allowed to raise you a Boobie Dixon?

Yeah, cause you know, everyone loves them some Boobie, 

Best case scenario -- this could be the piece of a ridiculous puzzle. Motor has been good this year, Cook has flashed, but this back has the stats, intelligence, total yards capability, and experience to blow the top off this offense. I would guess we see 10 snaps and I imagine this kid has the grit in him to turn one of them into a jaw-dropper. Great players turn in memorable performances when given the opportunity.

Hines strikes me as a player with greatness in his heart and gut who has been thrust into a situation in which he can unlock it.

Interesting Athletic article by Joe B and Colts beat writer James Boyd

https://theathletic.com/3752980/2022/11/01/nyheim-hines-trade-colts-bills/?source=emp_shared_article

From the Colts’ perspective, Hines is a versatile offensive tool but not irreplaceable. When he was sidelined for nearly two full games, second-year running back Deon Jackson filled in for him and didn’t miss a beat. Jackson, who went undrafted last year, notched 25 carries for 104 yards and one touchdown, plus 14 catches on 14 targets for 108 yards.

By moving on from Hines, who’s presumably happy to join a Super Bowl contender, the Colts probably feel like they can make up for his absence with Jackson and Moss at a discounted rate while acquiring more draft capital.  Boyd

Hines’ move to Buffalo is unlikely to move the needle in a positive direction in terms of his fantasy value. As an RB deriving most of his value via the passing game, we’d have preferred he remain in Indy, where the Colts have averaged 30 more completions to RBs than Buffalo the past two seasons, and outpace the Bills in that department by a 61-35 advantage this season.

Josh Allen leads all QBs (min. 600 pass attempts) in Completed Air Yards/Att. since 2020, and it’s unlikely this team is looking for him to increase his check downs in a significant way. As it stands, Hines will likely mix into the backfield committee in a larger capacity than Moss was, dragging down the values of Devin Singletary and James Cook in the process. — Funston

Though I'm fairly sure it will be taken this way, I'm not posting this to be a "Debbie" but to draw attention to how people associated with the Colts (other than Pat McAfee) see the Hines trade.

Edited by Beck Water

https://theathletic.com/3763324/2022/11/04/bills-thoughts-prediction-jets/

On his own devices, Joe B shares more of the fan positivity:

Hines is a plus route runner from the running back position and can line up in multiple spots. The idea of him lining up in the backfield simultaneously with Singletary pre-snap is something the Bills have likely wanted to employ with James Cook but have been hesitant to give the rookie more than a handful of snaps in any given week. They can motion Hines out of the backfield and get him in a one-on-one matchup with a linebacker or safety, which would become an advantage for the Bills with Josh Allen at the helm. Even when Hines is the only back on the field, he provides a much more dynamic checkdown option in the flat than Singletary, which should draw some attention to Hines and potentially take some away from thwarting the deep ball.

But on offense, the most intriguing option is how Hines can factor in as a receiver. The slot receiver position has left a bit to be desired the last two games. Isaiah McKenzie has struggled with consistency and with Khalil Shakir, the Bills usually shy away from putting a significant role on rookies. The two combined for only four catches and 31 yards over the previous two weeks, which speaks to the potential for more in a usually prolific passing offense. And it goes deeper with McKenzie, who has collected 40 receiving yards in only one of his six games. The more these games rack up, the more indicators the Bills get that he may be best suited to a more limited role.

That’s where Hines could come in, showing excellent footwork in his routes, even occasionally factoring in as the third wideout against nickel cornerbacks. The idea of getting the defense to commit to three linebackers on the field because of Hines heading into the huddle with Singletary, only to line up in the slot is just another way for the Bills to win more from that position.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

https://theathletic.com/3752980/2022/11/01/nyheim-hines-trade-colts-bills/?source=emp_shared_article

Though I'm fairly sure it will be taken this way, I'm not posting this to be a "Debbie" but to draw attention to how people associated with the Colts (other than Pat McAfee) see the Hines trade.

It's from a fantasy perspective, and so I agree with the author- Hines has little fantasy value because he does indeed fit into a RB-by-committee situation and will bolster our special teams. I saw Jackson play when Taylor first was out and he looks very solid, so it is no wonder that Ballard did this deal even though Zack Moss isn't a real prize.

Nyheim's attitude is optimal: buy into the coach and the concepts and super stoked to be part of a high-powered offense. "My goal is to help this team win a championship, even if that's not touching the ball at all." What an attitude.

Well spoken and eager and talented. Really glad he's a BIll. I'm betting he far outperforms the expectations based on trade value.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/nyheim-hines-a-perfect-fit

• Like (+1) 1

Hines top speed, if he is still as fast as the combine or college, is about 22.5 mph, just below Tyreek's 23.24. 

Hines apparently has reached 23.8 mph on a treadmill, but that's not in pads.

Hoping he has good hands, Josh once again has a receiver who can run under the long ball.

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Hines top speed, if he is still as fast as the combine or college, is about 22.5 mph, just below Tyreek's 23.24. 

Hines apparently has reached 23.8 mph on a treadmill, but that's not in pads.

Hoping he has good hands, Josh once again has a receiver who can run under the long ball.

Hines has good hands.  78.3% career catch %

There's more to making receptions deep than "running under the long ball", or we'd still have Bob Foster around. 

What I think the Bills hope for  is that home-run threat from catching passes in the flat or swing passes.  His ability Be That Guy will of course depend on Josh realizing everyone is pretty well covered and hitting him quickly. 

Though the occasional wheel route would be nice. 

I think Beane specifically mentioned "he can play slot receiver for a game" for a reason.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Beck Water said:

its just a matter of how much Josh wants to throw to the RBs. He could have thrown to DS about 20 times last game and gotten 8 yards a chunk every time, especially with the Pack missing two key LBs.  He had one dump down to him, and it went for 16 yards. I just think Josh still loathes those check downs.

You look at Eckler in LA. Herbert looks to his first WR option and if not there, usually checks it down. Eckler always makes a guy miss, and he ends up with like 8-10 catches for 90 yards. Hines could easily match or even exceed that production, if Josh feels like it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.