Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

This dude is fricken fast.  Im stoked about this trade.

4.38 speed, immediately becomes the fastest player on offense for us.

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He gashed us in the 2020 playoff game- he was their #2 rb for the last 4 years.  

Yeah...it wasn't Taylor that started that comeback against us, it was Hines...especially turning short passes into big gains.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I was too lazy to look into the Crowder thread. Thank you on the update.

Hines could have spent the rest of the year with a failing Colts team. He now has the opporunity to contribute to a possible SB winner. At minimum, he will increase his future earnings by not sulking and fitting in as best as he can. Of course, if he's poor character and dim, he may sulk. Hopefully that's not the case.

OK so I could be wrong on Crowder.  Beane said specifically he has NOT ruled out a return (although, based on what guys like Bangedup have said, it not only sounds unlikely, it sounds undesireable for the player who needs to show out for a new contract, AND for the Bills who need to field guys who are at their best)

After listening to one press conference I'm gonna belly up to the bar for my Plate Full Of Crow on Nyheim.  After listening to the Hines press conference, I can not believe he will be any kind of a disruption or a problem to the locker room at all.  Comes across as a very hardworking guy, grateful for the opportunity, and enthusiastic to do whatever he's asked to do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Athletic article about the trade:

https://theathletic.com/3752929/2022/11/01/nyheim-hines-trade-bills-colts/?source=spotrac&pc=spotrac40off2

A little bit concerned by this.

Bills have been giving their RBs about 17 touches per game.  Motor gets 10 of them, Cook and Moss have been splitting the rest.

A platoon of McKenzie, Crowder, and Shakir in the slot have been seeing about 10 targets per game

Giving Nyheim 6 rushes and 6 targets in the air seems kind of ambitious here.  There's only one ball, and I'd like to see Cook and Shakir continue to see some playing time.  If he's upset that he's only been seeing 7-8 touches per game with the Colts, is he going to settle in OK with the Bills?

It could just be me, but I don't think the Bills see Hines as a Singletary replacement as an every-down, majority of the snaps kind of player.

Hines has been a 30-40% of the snaps guy his entire career.

Motor has been a 60-70% of the snaps guy his career, 71% so far this year.

And many of the more closely connected media say that's more than the Bills want to be giving him right now. And many on the board who pay attention agree - it's too much.

If we have 20 snaps where the RB is ran, and 6 where they're a down field target I'd be happy with each splitting ⅓ of the targets. For runs putting 10-12 runs for Singleterry reasonable with the rest being split between Cook and Hines

I do worry about telegraphing plays, however. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Punt returner and offensive weapon.  More I think about it more I like it. Hines is going to make some plays.  Seeing Pat Mcafee’s reaction in real time is all you need to know.   Hines is going to be a factor in the offense and as a returner.

• Like (+1) 1

I normally don't slurp Beane's koolaid, but this move could be genius for several reasons:

1) Legit punt returner going forward

2) If Singletary is not resigned, you can move forward with Hines/Cook and probably at worse get the same total production we are going to see this year which means RB is not a need in the draft or FA.

3) Adding another talented receiving option who was not being utilized properly this year.

All this for a 6th round pick and officially pulling the plug on the Moss experiment is as good a of an in season trade you can make without mortgaging the future.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

And many of the more closely connected media say that's more than the Bills want to be giving him right now. And many on the board who pay attention agree - it's too much.

Too much to give Singletary 71% of the snaps?   I haven't heard any media saying this, nor on the board, help me out here?

Now mind you, he doesn't get that many targets or touches, not by a long chalk.  Maybe 14 targets or touches a game out of 46-47 snaps a game, rest of the time he's blocking.

I haven't honestly seen or heard lobbyists for less blocking touches for Motor.  Most people seem to think he's "got it going on" these days.

But, if Hines can equal or surpass him blocking - more power to it.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

If we have 20 snaps where the RB is ran, and 6 where they're a down field target I'd be happy with each splitting ⅓ of the targets. For runs putting 10-12 runs for Singleterry reasonable with the rest being split between Cook and Hines

So as discussed in the post you're responding to:

"Bills have been giving their RBs about 17 touches per game.  Motor gets 10 of them, Cook and Moss have been splitting the rest."  By touches here I meant rushing carries.  (They get about 7 passing targets per game, most to Motor)

So right now if we give Motor 10 runs as he's currently getting and you suggest, and split the rest Cook and Hines would each get about 3-4 per game.  If we "up" our run game to 20 carries by RBs and nibble away a few of the 7-8 rushes per game Josh currently takes, I don't think anyone here would think that's a Bad Thing

But I think most of those are scrambles, and Dorsey seemed to be pretty adamant in this week's presser that they want to keep in a few designed QB runs each game to maintain them as a threat the opponent's D must defend.  So reducing them might be easier said than done.

On the other hand - if Josh believes he can check down to a guy who could rip off a 30 yd run at any time like Hines can - maybe he'd be more attuned to that option.

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

After listening to one press conference I'm gonna belly up to the bar for my Plate Full Of Crow on Nyheim.

Just from a personal perspective, after watching only one press conference, I can see why Hines was a fan favorite in Indy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, boyst said:

Keep ‘em guessing! When Moss was in, there was very little guessing. He wasn’t going far, and he wasn’t going to get there fast. I’m not hating on the guy. It just is what it is. More speed at the RB position is an upgrade. I can’t wait to see how much. 

• Like (+1) 4

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Now don't categorize all fans that way...........I got home from the game Monday and I had a notification from screwball going by @MasterStrategist calling me out after McKenzie put up a spectacular 14 yards on two touches.    Man that gameday thread is a den of idiocy. 😂

I am a known scoffer of RB impact and the idea of a RB being "another WR" on the field............but Nyheim Hines is electric and far more coordinated than the stiff, hard-handed Lil' Dummy.   No, he's not a $10M/year slot receiver either but the price was right and he gives them more versatility and gets a rookie and hopefully McKenzie off the field on special teams.    He's also just quicker and more elusive in pass routes than James Cook.   Cook is closer to a volume carry RB than him.  They are not redundant, IMO.

Agree about Hines, he will be another weapon on offense for Dorsey to mix in.  Really like the trade.

There was a good article in the preseason about Dorseys philosophy on offense, and wanting to be aggressive/utilize more speed on offense.  This move definitely gets more speed on the field.

Re: McKenzie, you continue to be obnoxious (why call him Lil Dummy?!, dont answer its rhetorical):

1. my post in gameday thread was specifically to say you were likely pouting in the stands when he scored.  He also called that play (tipped Dorsey/Josh about how the edge player was crashing in on prior jet sweep fakes)...doesn't sound like a "dummy"

2.  Hines will definitely take some plays/snaps from McKenzie, no doubt.  Hopefully no more Mckenzie lined up in the backfield on zone reads....But Hines will likely lead to less of Shakir on punt returns, and let Shakir get a bit more involved as a Wr. So yeah indirectly to an extent, but Lil Dirty will continue to get his 3-5 offensive touches per game and likely kick returns.

I spent the day watching college and pro Hines highlights. 

One thing stands out...

If you can throw the ball to him in full stride he is deadly. The Colts could not find the correct ball placement.  He was always waiting on the throw.. He has the speed to be wide open deep but he was rarely used that way.

Short button hook passes mostly 

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, boyst said:

I haven't thought it all the way through, but in theory, assuming he masters our playbook, I can think of ways Hines would make it less likely to telegraph plays and make it harder to for the defense to customize their personnel when they see him in the huddle.  Suppose it's Singletary, Knox, Hines, and 2 WR.  Is that gonna be a heavy set where they should run base, or is that essentially a 3 WR set or even a 4 receiver set and they better roll out the dime or the nickel?

• Like (+1) 3

When I saw speculation that Colts might be moving on from him , I looked a bit deeper.

Looked like Buffalo might have been a good move for him as nothing was happening with him on the Colts and Ryan at QB etc. We could make better uses of his skillset !
pleasant surprise for me !
 And Moss gets a second chance and possibly a better opportunity as a downhill runner ( Bills cant move the LOS in heavy sets :fact)

I approve.
Also delighted to get Dean back. I bet Mr. Frazier is pleased as well.
Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I spent the day watching college and pro Hines highlights. 

One thing stands out...

If you can throw the ball to him in full stride he is deadly. The Colts could not find the correct ball placement.  He was always waiting on the throw.. He has the speed to be wide open deep but he was rarely used that way.

Short button hook passes mostly 

Don't you have to work ?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

After listening to his presser, he sounds like a great guy. Intelligent and process oriented and ready to contribute. That story about Dion finding his pendant was cool and now Dion might be opening up holes to spring him loose.

I’m looking forward to seeing him in this offense. I know I’ll be screaming Go Hines Go!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Mr Hines is Very well spoken and clearly being super straight up honest and transparent in his replies to the media . He doesn't lack confidence. He will do what is asked of him. He is grateful to be in Buffalo. And he wants to contribute as much as he can "even if it's not being on the field" that quote blew me away. I get it though. He will be used perhaps sparingly at first. As he learns the offense his roles and reps will also increase.

He reads like an absolutely perfect fit for this team and gets the process. Stoked to see what he can bring to the table.  He sounds great to me.  😀

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.