Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

13 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

Really? What do you know? I know the punter doesn't see the field much because of the quarterback. I know the quarterback is the leading rusher, and the short yardage back.  Where are they without him. Easily the leauges mvp. 

You act like other teams don't rely on their QB's to run as well, as if the Bills are some anomaly. 

Allen is tied for 4th in the NFL with Jalen Hurts with 306 rushing yards, behind Lamar, Justin Fields and Daniel Jones. He is 6th in attempts at 53, many of those coming on scrambles off pass plays. Hurts leads the NFL with 77 attempts, followed by Fields at 76, Lamar at 75, Jones at 64 and Mariota at 55. Nobody is complaining about them running so much and potentially getting hurt are they?

IMO, the Bills get in their short yardage personnel so often to "keep up appearances" because they are extremely successful throwing out of those formations and personnel groupings to get guys wide open. If they really wanted to run the ball well in those situations they would get out of their heavy personnel, spread them out to create a light box and then just hand the ball off to Singletary who is perfectly capable of picking up yard in those situations and in most cases more.  The Bills are their own worst enemy with that because they insist on using "power" formations which they have proven to not be very good at over multiple years, which brings lots of defenders around the ball in a condensed area instead of simply spreading them out and running it. They simply don't have the personnel up front to "road grade" players out of the way.  They are fantastic at getting out in space and getting to the next level on pulls/traps/counters, etc...

I get why they do it, because they are great at passing out of that formation and need to keep teams honest in not knowing whether they are going to run it or throw it, but still...

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

Are ya from Turkey? You need to watch more games.

Nope but my Dad is.  I watch plenty of games.  Allen isn't even in the top 5 for QB rushes this year.  I think YOU are the one who needs to watch more games.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You act like other teams don't rely on their QB's to run as well, as if the Bills are some anomaly. 

Allen is tied for 4th in the NFL with Jalen Hurts with 306 rushing yards, behind Lamar, Justin Fields and Daniel Jones. He is 6th in attempts at 53, many of those coming on scrambles off pass plays. Hurts leads the NFL with 77 attempts, followed by Fields at 76, Lamar at 75, Jones at 64 and Mariota at 55. Nobody is complaining about them running so much and potentially getting hurt are they?

IMO, the Bills get in their short yardage personnel so often to "keep up appearances" because they are extremely successful throwing out of those formations and personnel groupings to get guys wide open. If they really wanted to run the ball well in those situations they would get out of their heavy personnel, spread them out to create a light box and then just hand the ball off to Singletary who is perfectly capable of picking up yard in those situations and in most cases more.  The Bills are their own worst enemy with that because they insist on using "power" formations which they have proven to not be very good at over multiple years, which brings lots of defenders around the ball in a condensed area instead of simply spreading them out and running it. They simply don't have the personnel up front to "road grade" players out of the way.  They are fantastic at getting out in space and getting to the next level on pulls/traps/counters, etc...

I get why they do it, because they are great at passing out of that formation and need to keep teams honest in not knowing whether they are going to run it or throw it, 

Just now, Big Turk said:

Nope but my Dad is.  I watch plenty of games.  Allen isn't even in the top 5 for QB rushes this year.  I think YOU are the one who needs to watch more games.

Just now, Big Turk said:

Wow. Allen isn't top 5? Tell rest of the leauge that. It's about wins. Go play fantasy football. I can't teach ya anything 

Just now, gridirongold said:

Wow. Allen isn't top 5? Tell rest of the leauge that. It's about wins. Go play fantasy football. I can't teach ya anything 

No...really?  I'm not sure exactly what your point is. You don't actually seem to have one.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Serious question. I like the move of adding Hines (gave up nothing and actually got them to take Moss from us) and think he is a receiving threat and has home run capability. So why did the Colts let him go for nothing?

He kind of spoke out about their QB situation over the years. Contract. They’re looking at a rebuild. Deon Jackson played well.

No idea who Hines is (I had to Google him) but we’ve all clearly seen enough from Moss…and so had the Bills obviously. Being on the west coast I saw a lot of Moss while he was at Utah. He was great in college. It shows how hard it is to evaluate these kids. I’m hoping he gets a fresh start in Indianapolis. 

• Agree 1

i think this move was just to add team speed and give us a little extra wrinkle, so we can run or pass out of same formation a bit better.

wheel routes and screens are totally our absolute weakness schematically on O, we do so much down the field and actually run the ball well enough when we do lately, but we attack guys dropping 8 and doing jail house rushes w kinda the same stuff which puts a ton of pressure on allen, that a guy out the back field who can turn a small play into a big play is a huge get.

i remember our 2021 (post 2022) game at kc, we were in it kinda late, but motor dropping a pass and zero answer for them mugging our WRs all game really showed to me how we needed some more balance.  a couple plays out of the back field passing like that woulda cracked open the miami pass rush this season too.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

No idea who Hines is (I had to Google him) but we’ve all clearly seen enough from Moss…and so had the Bills obviously. Being on the west coast I saw a lot of Moss while he was at Utah. He was great in college. It shows how hard it is to evaluate these kids. I’m hoping he gets a fresh start in Indianapolis. 

I could see Moss having some success elsewhere. He knows he's been a disappointment here and he's been pressing trying to make something happen. He looks nothing like his college tape at his point.

On another team he can just be one of the boys again rather than a disappointing draft pick. A fresh start for him.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’ve never heard of Hines?

He has been around for a while.

Actually had a pretty good game against the bills in the playoff matchup back in 2021

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, colin said:

i think this move was just to add team speed and give us a little extra wrinkle, so we can run or pass out of same formation a bit better.

wheel routes and screens are totally our absolute weakness schematically on O, we do so much down the field and actually run the ball well enough when we do lately, but we attack guys dropping 8 and doing jail house rushes w kinda the same stuff which puts a ton of pressure on allen, that a guy out the back field who can turn a small play into a big play is a huge get.

i remember our 2021 (post 2022) game at kc, we were in it kinda late, but motor dropping a pass and zero answer for them mugging our WRs all game really showed to me how we needed some more balance.  a couple plays out of the back field passing like that woulda cracked open the miami pass rush this season too.

I can’t say I disagree but isn’t that more about play design and play calling than personnel? We were using Singletary in that role in last year’s playoff game against KC and he did just fine, picking up first downs at will. I’ve always felt it was better if you keep the defense guessing rather than them being able to say “Hines is in…here comes the swing pass”.  With that said, I trust the leadership. But I do think this was more about getting ‘something’ for Moss, who they’ve mentally moved on from, than it was about acquiring Hines or any particular skill set. Just my two cents.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Serious question. I like the move of adding Hines (gave up nothing and actually got them to take Moss from us) and think he is a receiving threat and has home run capability. So why did the Colts let him go for nothing?

They could not figure out what to do with him this season.   He was third in the depth chart.  Phillip Lindsey was ahead of him so his touches were limited to a pass threat.  Two years ago when they had Rivers as QB, he was more effective (63 catches)

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Reading it wasn't the problem, making any sense of the words you wrote was. It literally didn't make any sense as a response to the post you were replying to...

You two are from different eras. He's talking fantasy football. His bottom line is the exact statistics and not the value the guy brings to a teams record. So, Mariotta might be ahead of him is his point. 

I will say this is the first person Ive ever heard of with the first name  Nyheim. Pronounced N-I (Long I) eem (long E)

again, perdon if this has already been posted. He suffered a concussion a few weeks back against the broncos. article title below wont post link

Colts' Nyheim Hines ruled out with concussion after hit leaves running back appearing unstable - CBSSports.com

10 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

You two are from different eras. He's talking fantasy football. His bottom line is the exact statistics and not the value the guy brings to a teams record. So, Mariotta might be ahead of him is his point. 

This is my point. He didn't say anything close to what you are going on about. He was talking about where Allen stood in terms of rushing yards and rushing attempts, not about what QB was better.

So, while you did write a coherent thought, it literally made no sense as a reply to his post.

Think of it this way: It would be like somebody writing a post talking about Josh Allen's running stats and I replied to that post by saying my favorite color was green. It is a coherent thought, but a nonsensical reply to the post.

Edited by billsfan1959

26 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

You’ve never heard of Hines?

He has been around for a while.

Actually had a pretty good game against the bills in the playoff matchup back in 2021

Right. i honestly would have thought even a very average fan of the game would be familiar with his game..... Man, everytime ive watched a colts game over the last 3 years i've constantly found myself admiring his game and saying "we NEED that dynamic"

Pure explosiveness 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.