Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

7 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

I don’t think this acquisition has anything to do with Cook.  I see it as serving multiple purposes.

1. Swapped for a seldom used & bad fit - Moss.

2. Special teams PR / KR

3. Insurance if DS should become injured.

4. Allows Dorsey to give DS a blow occasionally or use these backs in any combo for a new offensive wrinkle.

I’m just going to keep saying it: mckenzie. Dude is super high risk on the field, has been benched before, and has had a rollercoaster season.

slot receiver running jet sweeps and returning kicks?

plus good insurance in the running back room. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he’s good insurance in case of injury at RB

but if you recall the off-season chatter was about him spending more time with the receivers than the backs in Indy. 

I genuinely think it’s as much about mckenzie as cook if talking about what “hole” they may be trying to fill. 

kick returner? Check. 

slot receiver capable of a pretty full route tree? Yup.

3rd down back and potential gadget runner? Sure thing. 

Plus if a back is hurt they have a vet that can pick up slack in a more traditional role. 

exhibit a in the point I’m trying to make 

His versatility is 100% why they want him. This is more about having a receiving threat than another RB, but they have to love the ability to have him run routes or carry the ball on any given play. Throw in special teams and his 'work ethic' to make him the exact type of player that Beane loves. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Serious question: do you see Singletary getting "the moon" in terms of a contract from another team?

It's not his fault that he's been a 10-11 A/G back with the Bills and has had limited touches.  But his best season was last season with 1000+ yds/scrimmage.

What's the going rate for that on a second contract? 

This sounds brutal, but a lot of the NFL (including the Bills next year) run on the "Stars and JAGs" model.  The salary cap combined with astronomical star salaries means the "middle class" of NFL teams - very solid reliable players who contribute consistently - doesn't have a lot of cash left on the table to feed them.

I agree with you about what Singletary has put on his resume and I’m not sure what the moon is exactly, but whatever it is, it may be too much for Beane’s tastes given the other contract issues he has to deal with moving forward. 

Good point about stars and jags, too. 

15 minutes ago, finn said:

What did he say about his practice habits?

Check out how he answers the final question here, it's clear he's talking about a young player they're working with in Cook who they feel has things to learn.

There's no crime in that. The Bills have a high standard in their building, on their practice field. It's not just well what did he do with his touches on Sunday.

Once upon a time Ed Oliver was called out for his habits and Matt Milano was moved to second string during camp and look at those dudes now.

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m just going to keep saying it: mckenzie. Dude is super high risk on the field, has been bunched before, and has had a rollercoaster season.

slot receiver running jet sweeps and returning kicks?

plus good insurance in the running back room. 

This is my thought after watching Hines’ film. He eats into McKenzie’s role and returns punts. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This is my thought after watching Hines’ film. He eats into McKenzie’s role and returns punts. I think by year’s 

Hines has had 2 muffed punts on over 100 punt returns since entering the league. Over the same time period he has had 2 punt returns for TDs. Yeah he will immediately be our primary punt returner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Since 2018 he’s 5th amongst active RB’s in receiving yards …….plus he’s a returner. Good move……gives us depth plus more speed at the RB position.

I'm liking the idea of a vet to handle returns over a rookie and Lil Ball Security.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Malazan said:

His versatility is 100% why they want him. This is more about having a receiving threat than another RB, but they have to love the ability to have him run routes or carry the ball on any given play. Throw in special teams and his 'work ethic' to make him the exact type of player that Beane loves. 

elite speed, and a Swiss Army knife…. But reliable. 

picture the offensive role McK has had recently - the little jet sweep is identical to the above highlight. The option pitch in the backfield that didn’t work for whatever reason. That little inside slant he slipped on in the end zone. Ignoring the highs and lows, it’s text book what Hines is doing. Throw in returning kickoffs. I think this says way more about McK than the starting RB next year. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Serious question: do you see Singletary getting "the moon" in terms of a contract from another team?

It's not his fault that he's been a 10-11 A/G back with the Bills and has had limited touches.  But his best season was last season with 1000+ yds/scrimmage.

This sounds brutal, but a lot of the NFL (including the Bills next year) run on the "Stars and JAGs" model.  The salary cap combined with astronomical star salaries means the "middle class" of NFL teams - very solid reliable players who contribute consistently - doesn't have a lot of cash left on the table to feed them.

I think too many fans are taking the Spotrac "Market Value" of $5.3M per on a 3-year deal as cut in stone.

I'm on Spotrac a lot and they can be a good basis for a player's value.  I can also say that when it comes to RBs they can

be off by a lot compared to other positions.  I personally I see that number lower.

Another thing that's brutal is this.  If Motor's touches are reduced, for whatever reason going forward this year, I can see

that number going down even further than I currently estimate.  When it comes to a RB 2nd contract, it's seeming to me it's all

about the guaranteed money and how it is structured.

Then again, lots of GMs want players from the top teams and pay crazy for the chance to get them.  I have to believe that whatever

Beane would offer (if an offer is given) will make Motor test the market.  Another reason for the Hines trade, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hines has had 2 muffed punts on over 100 punt returns since entering the league. Over the same time period he has had 2 punt returns for TDs. Yeah he will immediately be our primary punt returner.

I am happy with him as a safe returner. But apparently he has a very high fumble rate as a RB which is worrying.

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So the choice for Singletary is - look for a big second contract, play it out and retire in 3-4 years (typical career span of a RB)

Or stay with the Bills for a lower average $/year and extend career due to lower tread on tires per year

At the end of his career, he sees the same wear on his body but the same $ in pocket, its all good. Plus he is much more likely to retire with rings while playing for the Bills as opposed to playing for the middling teams who have money to spend but not the overall talent to win the big one. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.