Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

5 minutes ago, MPT said:

Don't get me wrong, I like both of their skill sets. But neither of them are going to grind out yards between the tackles-- something which Singletary has become very good at. 

He is incredibly quick and shifty. He might not outrace you for 60 yards, but he can make guys miss in the hole. The guys who can do both are rare and special. 

Just now, K-9 said:

And Singletary will never be a receiving matchup problem for defenses, something Hines is very good at. So it’s a complimentary relationship.

I agree with that. I was disagreeing with all the posters who were saying that the Hines trade means that Singletary will be gone next year and Cook/Hines will be our RB tandem. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

ha ha ha ha ha ha someone still thinks the cap is "real"

Well apparently Chiefs also do, otherwise Hill would be still on the team.

Also, if the cap is not "real", why exactly wasn't Poyer extended already?

I do know that cap can be manipulated to a certain extent but it is still more than real in terms of limiting teams to do whatever they want.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MPT said:

Don't get me wrong, I like both of their skill sets. But neither of them are going to grind out yards between the tackles-- something which Singletary has become very good at. 

Just my opinion, but I think they’ll find one easily in free agency next year once Motor leaves.  I also think improving that area has more to do with the line than the back to be completely honest.  

Besides, losing Moss this year means nothing as he contributed little.  I don’t remember a short yardage first down situation he proved to be an asset for.  You can stick any of the current three backs we have back there right now and they improve our chances, statistically.  

This is a win across the board unless anyone is upset about losing the conditional pick.  Nothing else at all to be critical about from what I can see. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

He is incredibly quick and shifty. He might not outrace you for 60 yards, but he can make guys miss in the hole. The guys who can do both are rare and special. 

Again, I don't disagree with that. He'll break some nice runs a couple times a game and, more importantly, he'll be a mismatch in the short passing game. But he won't carry the ball 150+ times a year for 4.5 yards per carry like Singletary does.

1 minute ago, MPT said:

Again, I don't disagree with that. He'll break some nice runs a couple times a game and, more importantly, he'll be a mismatch in the short passing game. But he won't carry the ball 150+ times a year for 4.5 yards per carry like Singletary does.

I’m sorry, my bad. I was referring to Singletary. Oops! 

6 minutes ago, n8dg14 said:

Just my opinion, but I think they’ll find one easily in free agency next year once Motor leaves.  I also think improving that area has more to do with the line than the back to be completely honest.  

Besides, losing Moss this year means nothing as he contributed little.  I don’t remember a short yardage first down situation he proved to be an asset for.  You can stick any of the current three backs we have back there right now and they improve our chances, statistically.  

This is a win across the board unless anyone is upset about losing the conditional pick.  Nothing else at all to be critical about from what I can see. 

Josh Jacobs

2 minutes ago, n8dg14 said:

Agree that the line is more important, but every team in the league is fighting over too few quality offensive linemen. Singletary has proven he can be productive with a revolving offensive line. I hope you're right that they'll find a replacement, but I like the consistency Singletary has shown and I think any replacement in FA will cost just as much and carries a lot more unknown.

10 minutes ago, MPT said:

I agree with that. I was disagreeing with all the posters who were saying that the Hines trade means that Singletary will be gone next year and Cook/Hines will be our RB tandem. 

I see no reason why Singletary has to be let go, either. But it’s not gonna be up to us as he’s an UFA after the season. If he asks for the moon, I can see Beane being reluctant to meet his demands.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And Singletary will never be a receiving matchup problem for defenses, something Hines is very good at. So it’s a complimentary relationship.

Let's not kid ourselves. Our OL isn't going to suddenly learn how to run block. If I have a faster, more reliable rb to throw checkdowns to, sign me up. We have to incorporate more RB throws as part of our "run game".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I see no reason why Singletary has to be let go, either. But it’s not gonna be up to us as he’s an UFA after the season. If he asks for the moon, I can see Beane being reluctant to meet his demands.

just hard with the cap.  some team will overpay, and we need OL big time and Gabe extension soon.  Plus a safety perhaps. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Let's not kid ourselves. Our OL isn't going to suddenly learn how to run block. If I have a faster, more reliable rb to throw checkdowns to, sign me up. We have to incorporate more RB throws as part of our "run game".

this is a good way to look at it.  we now have 3 legit catching backs.  wonder if we see 2 rb sets.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

Great trade!  Moss is gone -- a player who simply doesn't fit this offense.  In comes another weapon out of the backfield, and a legitimate threat as a PR as well.

We all knew this was going to be Motor's last year in Buffalo.  He can exit with a ring, and Hines/Cook will carry the torch just fine.

I am confused by this take (not only by you, but many others).

Hines' cap hits next two years are $4.8m and $5.5m, and unless I am missing something he can be cut for free. At the same time, I'd be really surprised if Singletary gets better deal from any team. I am pretty sure we can keep Devin for $10.3m cap hit in the first two years pf his future contract.

So why exactly are you so sure that we will keep a RB who has not take a single snap as Bills RB over Singletary who we drafted and our QB clearly loves him?

• Agree 1

He can return kicks, line up in the slot, has the speed and elusiveness to run gadget plays....  Seems like he has a lot of the same skill set as McKenzie.  Makes me wonder if there is a wide receiver out there on the street we could sign, maybe someone who has been injured, it would allow us to cut him to make room.  Sometimes feel as if coaches have lost faith in McKenzie and could move on.

If we actually saw creativity from NFL Coordinators that would be one thing.

A true rotation of Singletary, Hines, Cook, two in the backfield, RBs motioning wide, direct snaps, etc.

But we never see that in real life. The Browns can’t figure out how to put Chubb and Hunt in the backfield at the same time, Walker was a backup in Seattle until Penny got hurt, the Bills didn’t use Spiller for 2 years until Fred got hurt.

NFL Coordinators pick one guy, and everyone else just subs in for breather touches. 

I think Cook gets phased out immediately and I have no idea why.

Nothing in Hines game-logs or overall stats screams anything more than average NFL scatback.

Maybe he ran a 4.38, but that was 4.5 years and a bad concussion ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

He can return kicks, line up in the slot, has the speed and elusiveness to run gadget plays....  Seems like he has a lot of the same skill set as McKenzie.  Makes me wonder if there is a wide receiver out there on the street we could sign, maybe someone who has been injured, it would allow us to cut him to make room.  Sometimes feel as if coaches have lost faith in McKenzie and could move on.

I’m not aware of such a WR??   Is there one?? 😜

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.