Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

7 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I think Singletary gets re-signed and this gives us leverage to get him to take a team friendly deal. I see all 3 of these guys next year with Cook eventually being number one after he packs on a little muscle with the TB12 method.

Having both Singletary and Hines staying next year is debatable.  I think Hines takes a bit of pay cut to get guaranteed money.

If all this causes Motor to take a team friendly contract, all the better.  I can't pretend to know what Beane thinks of all that.

The main points of your post were outstanding, and I agree with all of them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

If this is how you view this trade, god bless you for being alive this long 

Ben Affleck Rain GIF by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice@DC Tom

I hope you appreciate how tough this is to do across pages.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

No. They traded a day 3 pick plus a RB picked with a 3rd round pick(who never worked out).  So they traded a 3rd and a 5th for Hines, and then may let Singletary go in the off-season to FA...another 3rd round pick.

As for the bolded, no one knows what calls were made, or what the asking price were.  You only know that none were traded.

You're an idiot.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

35 yards rushing on 5 carries and his single pass target was a catch that went for 41. Looks pretty good to me.

I was just saying the drop rate may have been a little misleading due to a small sample size. I think he can be very dangerous in time, and that time may be starting now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, vincec said:

Isn’t Hines salary twice Singletarys? That seems unsustainable for a backup RB / role player. Feels like a 1 year rental.

From what I saw, there's no guaranteed money after this season, so he can leave or stay, and if he wants to be on a contender, he can restructure.

I also read he asked for a trade, which set this all in motion.

Just now, ngbills said:

I have been having this seen argument. Even Moss saw more action than Cook. But there is this narrative that McD doesnt play rookies. He loves to play the guys he drafted and play them early. 

It's harder for a rookie to see the field with the Bills now than it was 3 or even 4 years ago, but the ones who deserve it, play.  A lot.

Some people like to create conspiracy scenarios where McDermott and his coordinators fiendishly ignore the fantastic talent and play of (name rookie) only to keep a useless horrible veteran on the field ahead of them.  Except that the position coaches and coordinators grade every snap by every player against what that player's job was on that play, and playing time goes accordingly.

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think it's the same thing.

Motor saw almost 70% of the snaps his very first game

2nd game, he got hurt, missed 3 games, worked his way in 1 game, then back up to 66-96% of the snaps.

Cook's usage pattern is much, much different.  Saw a high of 26% of the snaps and 11 carries his 2nd game, got put right back in the closet.  This past game in GB, he saw 25% of the snaps, 5 carries, 1 reception - and two days later we trade for Hines.

I think the Bills aren't happy about some aspect of Cook's development.

Not sure what his snap percentage was his first game. If it was 70% they weren't giving him the ball as he only had 4 carries and only 20 through the first 4 games he played. McDermott trusted Gore more and only changed when Gore started to average 2 yards a carry in games during October. There was no RB in 2019 anywhere near ad good as Singletary is today. McDermott was forced to make him the #1 RB by necessity, not choice.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Ahh, the takes in this thread.

Well, I guess that’s what one should expect from fans when we are a bottom-feeding, can’t-get-out-of-our-own-way franchise….

If ONLY this organization could find a way to do things the right way and act like they CARE about winning!

I mean, it’s got to be easy to be an NFL GM and make 100% of the right moves and draft picks all of the time, right?

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Not sure what his snap percentage was his first game. If it was 70% they weren't giving him the ball as he only had 4 carries and only 20 through the first 4 games he played. McDermott trusted Gore more and only changed when Gore started to average 2 yards a carry in games during October. There was no RB in 2019 anywhere near ad good as Singletary is today. McDermott was forced to make him towards #1 RB by necessity, not choice.

Close to 70%.  45 snaps, 68%.  Gore got 19 snaps, 29%.

Agree on the carries.

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, that sounds different until you realize Cook only has 8 targets, while Hines has 28.  So they're probably not significantly different % in a statistical sense.

so catching 5 of 8 passes is not really much different than catching 25 of 28?

got it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.