Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

This has been said numerous times.  What are your reasons that Cook cannot be the RB1 next year?

If he happens to be able to do more as a receiver too, is that a bad thing?

Beane just needs to get a cheap, bigger back that can play some ST to round out the room.

Cook hasn’t even been able to consistently get on the field as RB2 this year, though his usage is increasing slowly, so I’m not really thinking about him being RB 1 next year. 

If you take a RB in the 2nd then the goal should be having someone that can be your workhorse and not just someone that is in the game for 10 plays. I can’t imagine Cook’s usage is going to increase now. He’s now the clear odd man out in that RB room until next year. 

Great move. Moss and Singletary are a lot alike and Singletary is running well, playing better. Hines has the highest catch rate among rbs 89% and is 6th in VOA when receiving. Good hands and good after the catch, one of the top pass catching backs is just what the team needs. Great move.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Hines is ok and can maybe be a better punt and kick returner than Bills currently have (though I thought Shakir was fine returning punts).  Is he any better than Cook or just more experienced?  For a team that doesn't run the ball much, another RB is an "interesting" acquisition.

Also, note that this team has zero RBs that could be described as "short-yardage" backs.   That is an area the team is pretty deficient in.

James Cook showed improvement on Sunday - but he's still a work in progress who spent most of the year dropping passes. Nyheim Hines is a veteran who is one of the best receiving RB's in the league right now. He provides much more stability, especially if Devin Singletary we're to go down.

James Cook could become a star. But right now he's still acclimating to the game. He's been much more of a project than I or probably the team expected. McDermott implied he has just now started to practice the way he likes.

In Hines we get much more of a sure thing as we push towards a Championship right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The major point I was making (you skated) was that teams who intend to focus their offense on the run are the ones who are motivated to invest high draft picks in RBs, so there's a bit of circularity there - top RBs need lots of carries to become such, lots of carries come from run-first offenses, run first offenses draft RBs high.

But now I'm honestly puzzled what your criteria is for "top backs" and where you're looking, because when I look up top RB by yards, I find:

Chubb

Henry

Barkley

Jacobs

Jones - 5th round

Etienne

Sanders

Herbert -6th round

Cook

Stevenson - 4th round

Pierce  - 4th round

McCaffrey

Pollard - 4th round

Wilson - UDFA

Williams -4th round

That's 7 out of 15 drafted after the 2nd round, and 3 drafted after the 4th 🤷‍♂️

And that's all that's in the top 30.

I didn't skate your point. It's just wrong.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Cook hasn’t even been able to consistently get on the field as RB2 this year, though his usage is increasing slowly, so I’m not really thinking about him being RB 1 next year. 

If you take a RB in the 2nd then the goal should be having someone that can be your workhorse and not just someone that is in the game for 10 plays. I can’t imagine Cook’s usage is going to increase now. He’s now the clear odd man out in that RB room until next year. 

But, the same thing was done by McDermott with Singletary his rookie year. Until about the 2nd half of the year.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe you are not thinking about next year.  That doesn't mean Beane isn't.  Doesn't this also protect the RB room now in case of injury?

Were you one of the few confident in Moss taking over a larger role?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I am a little surprised they wanted Moss in the deal.

Beane: "I can give you a conditional 6th Rounder and Zack Moss."

Ballard: "If it's OK with you, we'll just take the draft pick, thanks."

LOL

In all seriousness though, there's colts fans on their board who actually like this trade and say Moss is better than Hines.

Sounds like a coping mechanism to me, but hey...whatever.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

This has been said numerous times.  What are your reasons that Cook cannot be the RB1 next year?

If he happens to be able to do more as a receiver too, is that a bad thing?

Beane just needs to get a cheap, bigger back that can play some ST to round out the room.

Not to stray too far, but what is the deal with Cook? I’ve heard he made a sour face when the Bills drafted him, and he’s maybe not a great practice player. Is there an attitude problem? I expected him to be brought along slowly to avoid putting Josh in danger, But I did expect a little more by now. (Though he seems to be progressing now.) Maybe my expectations were unreasonable? Has he been a good soldier and done all the right things? 

Is there something to this, or am I making too much out of idle speculation?  I guess you need to look behind the scenes to know.   🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

If we were trading Moss to the Colts, why didn't we at least trade him for Jonathan Taylor ?

The trade deadline ended before Irsay could hit happy hour. Just bad timing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, frostbitmic said:

If we were trading Moss to the Colts, why didn't we at least trade him for Jonathan Taylor ?

Why would the Colts trade their starting RB for a dude we were just hoping someone would take off our hands?

It would take more than a 6th round conditional pick and Moss to get Taylor, and besides that, Beane said he got Hines for how he can fit in our offense and play in the slot, return kicks, etc.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Eyeroll 1

35 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Cook is averaging 5.5 ypc and 15 ypc on a handful of catches. 

So not sure how arrived at this conclusion. 

Cook was a 2nd Round pick, and outside of his fumble against the Rams, he looks like he belongs. 

In a vacuum, if you just made him the starter today, and gave him 14 carries like Singletary got against the Packers, I think he'd be fine. I think he'd average +4 ypc and look like an NFL player. 

I don't understand why the Bills are rolling Cook out so slowly. Congrats to them for figuring out Moss was useless, but Hines comes in and plays above Cook right away? Not sure the reasoning on this. 

Better route runner…Hines is pretty much a receiver 

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Well, you are right that McKenzie can't be trusted.  When I look at this receiver group it is 80% Diggs, 20% Davis and a bunch of nobodies.  I thought that Shakir would have gotten more opportunities by now, but the fact that he can't bump McKenzie from the lineup makes for a scary situation.  

The rams won the super bowl with a 80% Kupp.  I’m really only worried if Diggs gets hurt.  As long as we have him, we have a great chance regardless of the competition.  He’s better than ever.  

• Like (+1) 2

I like the trade and I think Moss will be a decent rb and have a decent career in the NFL.

The Bills already have a currently better version of him and Hines gives them something they were lacking.

Cook has caught only 63% of his targets, Hines leads the league at 89%.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

James Cook showed improvement on Sunday - but he's still a work in progress who spent most of the year dropping passes. Nyheim Hines is a veteran who is one of the best receiving RB's in the league right now. He provides much more stability, especially if Devin Singletary we're to go down.

James Cook could become a star. But right now he's still acclimating to the game. He's been much more of a project than I or probably the team expected. McDermott implied he has just now started to practice the way he likes.

In Hines we get much more of a sure thing as we push towards a Championship right now.

According to Rotowire, Cook has 2 drops on the year.

Breece Hall has 3.

Just now, Augie said:

Not to stray too far, but what is the deal with Cook? I’ve heard he made a sour face when the Bills drafted him, and he’s maybe not a great practice player. Is there an attitude problem? I expected him to be brought along slowly to avoid putting Josh in danger, But I did expect a little more by now. (Though he seems to be progressing now.) Maybe my expectations were unreasonable? Has he been a good soldier and done all the right things? 

Is there something to this, or am I making too much out of idle speculation?  I guess you need to look behind the scenes to know.   🤷‍♂️

On one hand, practice habits were brought up when discussing why he became the #2 RB behind Singletary. But on the other, several players have mentioned throughout the year about the unbelievable plays he makes in practice. I don't get it was he a good practice player or not? Maybe he didn't have the playback down? That and learning how to pick up the blitz probably.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This also a future move. Cook and Hines RB 1 and 2 next year.

Maybe the part of the trade I don't understand is how anyone could think Cook and Hines are the 1 and 2 next year.

Neither can play in short yardage or between the tackles situations, which, ya know, is important.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.