Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I cant wait until next Bills GDT where people freak out about his lack of use or a mistake 5 days after being traded.

Or maybe he will get the Sammy Watkins/Lee Evans "decoy" treatment. Like he might not produce, but he is the reason that everything else around him happens even. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Not sure if this has been posted here. I always like to see how the other team feels about the trade. Colts fans seem pissed which is good

https://forums.colts.com/topic/74316-hines-traded-to-the-bills/

Living here in Indy I am hearing from friends that are huge Colts fans.  They love Hines.   He was stuck behind Taylor and an under performing O line.  Moss was going no where in Buffalo.  Having another receiving threat makes the Bills more dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like this pickup, as the guy adds more speed to the backfield.

I feel like he’s going to be a replacement for Moss, with added value from return ability, and the simple fact he hits holes quickly.

Looks like a solid upgrade imho, and at the end of the day, it’s all about improving the team - even if it doesn’t immediately look like by a whole bunch.

When you are good in the first instance, small improvements can often end up making a significant difference.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

I like Hines and what he offers. I’m disappointed that we needed to make this move after drafting Cook in the 2nd. It would have been nice if Cook was able to play the role of Hines as anticipated. 

He's got a very similar career record as McKissic; would have been interested to see if we would have still drafted Cook and possibly traded or cut Moss before the season had he not stayed with Washington.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wasn’t speaking on physical attributes.  More of a mental tool for 17.  Knowing that he has a guy on third down that can get open.  Diggs is often double teamed on 3rd.    Isaiah’s size limitations and past miscues hurts his reliability on 3rd down.  Hines is a guy that can get open quick, is a seasoned playmaker and will likely be matched up with someone slower than him.  A guy Josh can lean on on 3rd down.  

Well, you are right that McKenzie can't be trusted.  When I look at this receiver group it is 80% Diggs, 20% Davis and a bunch of nobodies.  I thought that Shakir would have gotten more opportunities by now, but the fact that he can't bump McKenzie from the lineup makes for a scary situation.  

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Here's the Colts forum thread on the trade:

https://forums.colts.com/topic/74316-hines-traded-to-the-bills/

They universally hate the trade and think Hines will be a great player for us.

this was pretty funny:

”Moss is a better RB than Hines.   Bigger and will be better as JTs backup and breather back.”

… who wants to break it to him? 🤣😬

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Well, you are right that McKenzie can't be trusted.  When I look at this receiver group it is 80% Diggs, 20% Davis and a bunch of nobodies.  I thought that Shakir would have gotten more opportunities by now, but the fact that he can't bump McKenzie from the lineup makes for a scary situation.  

We added a weapon at a cheap cost that’s how I look at this.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

He's got a very similar career record as McKissic; would have been interested to see if we would have still drafted Cook and possibly traded or cut Moss before the season had he not stayed with Washington.

I think Beane might’ve panicked and drafted Cook for the role he wanted instead of him being BPA. Pure speculation, obviously.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I like Hines and what he offers. I’m disappointed that we needed to make this move after drafting Cook in the 2nd. It would have been nice if Cook was able to play the role of Hines as anticipated. 

This has been said numerous times.  What are your reasons that Cook cannot be the RB1 next year?

If he happens to be able to do more as a receiver too, is that a bad thing?

Beane just needs to get a cheap, bigger back that can play some ST to round out the room.

Just now, mikemac2001 said:

We added a weapon at a cheap cost that’s how I look at this.

Hines is ok and can maybe be a better punt and kick returner than Bills currently have (though I thought Shakir was fine returning punts).  Is he any better than Cook or just more experienced?  For a team that doesn't run the ball much, another RB is an "interesting" acquisition.

Also, note that this team has zero RBs that could be described as "short-yardage" backs.   That is an area the team is pretty deficient in.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

wow! you found one. Good job.

In the top 15 backs there are only 3 drafted after the 2nd round and none after the 4th.

Good players get drafted high for the most part. Tune in for more breaking news at 11.

The major point I was making (you skated) was that teams who intend to focus their offense on the run are the ones who are motivated to invest high draft picks in RBs, so there's a bit of circularity there - top RBs need lots of carries to become such, lots of carries come from run-first offenses, run first offenses draft RBs high.

But now I'm honestly puzzled what your criteria is for "top backs" and where you're looking, because when I look up top RB by yards, I find:

Chubb

Henry

Barkley

Jacobs

Jones - 5th round

Etienne

Sanders

Herbert -6th round

Cook

Stevenson - 4th round

Pierce  - 4th round

McCaffrey

Pollard - 4th round

Wilson - UDFA

Williams -4th round

That's 7 out of 15 drafted after the 2nd round, and 3 drafted after the 4th 🤷‍♂️

Hines is ok and can maybe be a better punt and kick returner than Bills currently have (though I thought Shakir was fine returning punts).  Is he any better than Cook or just more experienced?  For a team that doesn't run the ball much, another RB is an "interesting" acquisition.

Also, note that this team has zero RBs that could be described as "short-yardage" backs.   That is an area the team is pretty deficient in.

Gilliam and Josh Allen 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Whether we like it or not, the Bills short yardage back is lined up under center taking snaps

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I have no problem with the trade compensation, but I don't understand why the Bills would view Hines as better than Cook. 

Neither Singletary or Cook catch the ball all that often in this offense, and both Singletary and Cook are ~ 5 yards/carry back. 

Perhaps the Bills would view Hines as better than Cook because he's an established veteran with vastly more production and experience than Cook. Cook's numbers aren't relevant due to limited opportunities and when/how the Bills have used him (which doesn't inspire confidence at this point). Singletary and Cook may not catch the ball all that often in this offense because they aren't good at it. Hence...Hines.

Edited by Airseven
  • Like (+1) 1

He's more explosive than Cook, which I was a little surprised by. Higher vertical jump and quicker 40 and split times.

32 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The difference is this is a great D scheme for a LB to shine 

This is not a running offense for a RB to shine.

I don't think he's on same level of RB as Milano is for LBers. I think they have different goals and expectations of what they can be now and in the future at their positions. He's not going to get big money anyhow. 

That's why I think he takes less money to stay on a team of guys he loves and continue to play for a perennial Super Bowl contender.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.