Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

39 minutes ago, MPT said:

A lot of people here are grading this trade on the pieces moved, which would definitely be in our favor (Moss and a 6th for Hines is a no-brainer). However, Hines' contract means we'll be paying him $9 million over the next two years to be a 3rd down back while an unproven rookie will be our RB1. And that's assuming he doesn't get a new contract bump. 

Singletary has turned into a reliable and productive bell cow and I wouldn't have minded paying him $6 million a year especially if the Bills are willing to pay 75% of that to someone with 25% of his production. 

Also, I think people are delusional if they think that Cook was ever meant to be an RB1. He's just not built physically for that role. So now we're paying for a 3rd down back when we already drafted one and we'll still have to pay Singletary, or find a worse option for cheaper in FA, or draft another RB.

Still gonna root for him to do well obviously, but this move is near the bottom of our trade needs. 

We can cut him with no dead cap.  In essence, we got out of Moss’s contract and traded a 5th or 6th for an optional one year

rental speed demon.  If he works out, he might very well be worth 4.5M.  If not, we can cut him and move on.  He may be a nice piece to our Lombardi puzzle.  

everyone talks about motor being slow.  Hines isn’t.  Be happy.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Put me firmly in the "meh" column. More than anything I am just annoyed at our RB roster management. For such an A+ front office, we are so wonky here. 

2 x 3rds on Moss and Singletary
1x 2nd on Cook
Dislike Moss. Trade him for another and more expensive version of Cook, the guy we just spent a 2nd on 2 months ago. 

I am guessing we lean into Singletary the rest of the year and get away from the RB by committee. Which is fine and I actually like. But given our cap constraints for 2023 and the fact that we have 20+ players with expiring contracts, Singletary isn't likely in the plans. Which means we spend another top 100 pick on a RB behind an OL that struggles with run blocking. 

I think this is a fairly inconsequential move but I am really frustrated by it.

As good as Beane is, I love me some Beane, he has completely butchered his management of the RB position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

51 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I like it!  You can clearly see the dimension he'll bring as a proven pass catching option out of the backfield.

18 pages in, I’m gonna skip the Rah Rah or beyatch fest 

He seems to be a hands catcher who runs dig routes. I watched half the vid and i didn’t see any routes being run. Someone mentioned being a receiver, would be cool but does he know any of the route tree?

He doesn’t go down as easy as Moss but his biggest improvement over Moss is his vision. Run after run you can see him choosing his lanes at the first and second level. Moss had no vision.

How is he in pass pro?

I agree that Motor is most likely gone next year and Hines or Cook will be the number one. Straight up have no idea which as this coaching staff is unreadable sometimes.

Zack Moss is gone, and that by itself it a WIN for the Bills. 

That said, I'm not sure why Cook isn't the Bills answer at RB2 though. 

Commentators, this team, makes it sound like a science project to figure out how to use him. 

The other night against Green Bay, they just handed it to him in the middle of the game (not in garbage time) and he was fine, ran for 35 yards. 

So I'm not understanding why the Bills have been so relentless in their determination to get another pass catching back. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They traded a day 3 for a RB insurance policy/ lightning fast pass catching rb.  

Not one IOL was traded…..none were available.  If Poyer isn’t out long, we don’t need a S.  If he’s out awhile, I would’ve liked a S too

We got Dean Marlow.

8 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

It wasn’t a direct McCaffery comparison.  It was just a similar Swiss-army type back we were looking for.  I think he provides a lot of extra speed and value for us.  Can move to receiver slots, return kicks etc. Hard to guard us when we have speed abs receiving options out of the backfield and it has been clear from day 1 that the staff wanted 2 backs on the roster with speed and receiving ability, which we now have with Cook and Hines.  Can give us more versatility overall.

That's fair and I generally agree with this theme. Speed is always a threat and Hines can be explosive. 

This was a move made for this year and I am fine with it. Team has a real shot at the Super Bowl and they acquired some pieces without sacrificing the future. I know playoff time I will be a lot more comfortable with Hines back there backing up Singletary and playing on passing downs.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Maybe he can be the 2020 version of cole Beasley on 3rd down?  Not necessarily out of the slot, but a guy 17 knows will get open and find the soft spot.  

could be a shell killer.  I really do love this move.  We gave up next to nothing for a rocket out of the back field 

Nothing alike at all. Hines does actually play out of the slot, but unlike Beasley, he gets significant YAC and is extremely athletic and versatile.

Beasley at his best was a catch and go down guy.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yeah, might take some snaps away from McKenzie also, possibly the kick returns too. Making a lot of money to not get him involved as much as possible.

People are focused on this hurting Cook's development but I think this trade is more about finding an alternative to Isaiah....Hines can run routes and get open like a slot receiver.  He's been used this way since NC State.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, NewEra said:

We can cut him with no dead cap.  In essence, we got out of Moss’s contract and traded a 5th or 6th for an optional one year

rental speed demon.  If he works out, he might very well be worth 4.5M.  If not, we can cut him and move on.  He may very well be a nice piece to our Lombardi puzzle.  

everyone talks about motor being slow.  Hines isn’t.  Be happy.

I’m not even a Hines fan but I can’t see any scenario this wasn’t a great move. Experience, pass block, versatility running, catching, returning.. And cost controlled. Moving moss and barely no draft capital. It’s a solid move 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

We are going to win the freaking Stanley Cup.

We might. Stanley Cup and a Super Bowl in the same season.  Id take that parlay in 2023. Who knows, Sabres are starting to gel. And on the Hynes pickup, he's good. He can do now what Cook will be doing next year.  Marlowe was a smart move as one of our posters predicted and I almost forgot about Rhodes coming back. As long as we stay healthy for the stretch, we've got the horses to make a serious run at a Championship. 

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's not going to be MVP if that's what you're arguing, but he gives us a legitimate backup to both of the roles that Singletary and Cook play, upgrades our special teams, and should help take away targets from guys like McKenzie. All of those things add up.

The injury protection alone is massive. RBs get dinged up and having to spend any significant time with Moss int he backfield was going to severely limit us.

I agree. I'm just trying to be a little more realistic in my expectations of Hines. Seems like some here are a little too optimistic. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Zack Moss is gone, and that by itself it a WIN for the Bills. 

That said, I'm not sure why Cook isn't the Bills answer at RB2 though. 

Commentators, this team, makes it sound like a science project to figure out how to use him. 

The other night against Green Bay, they just handed it to him in the middle of the game (not in garbage time) and he was fine, ran for 35 yards. 

So I'm not understanding why the Bills have been so relentless in their determination to get another pass catching back. 

Honestly, we have 2 dangerous pass catching backs. Maybe that was their plan. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.