Terry McLaurin Catch v. DJ Moore Catch

st pete gogolak

Moore started to take his helmet off just as he was exiting boundary of end zone and it didn't come off until he was clearly outside the boundary of the end zone.  Result? 15 yard penalty that may have cost Panthers the game.  McLaurin makes great catch near the end of the game against Indy, takes his helmet off in the middle of the field after the play.  Result? Nothing.  Washington wins the game on one yard plunge.  Is there a rationale for all of this or is it just ad hoc sometimes I'll enforce the rules and sometimes I won't?  

Also, not much was discussed about this but how could a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct NOT be called on Douglas after the Diggs touchdown.  After the play was over he picked up Diggs and threw him to the ground.  It didn't impact game and Bills had plenty of calls go their way but come on, try to be consistent!!

8 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Moore started to take his helmet off just as he was exiting boundary of end zone and it didn't come off until he was clearly outside the boundary of the end zone.  Result? 15 yard penalty that may have cost Panthers the game.  McLaurin makes great catch near the end of the game against Indy, takes his helmet off in the middle of the field after the play.  Result? Nothing.  Washington wins the game on one yard plunge.  Is there a rationale for all of this or is it just ad hoc sometimes I'll enforce the rules and sometimes I won't?  

Also, not much was discussed about this but how could a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct NOT be called on Douglas after the Diggs touchdown.  After the play was over he picked up Diggs and threw him to the ground.  It didn't impact game and Bills had plenty of calls go their way but come on, try to be consistent!!

Eh Moore took his helmet off 2 seconds after the play. McLaurin took his helmet off 15 seconds after the play. Huge difference which would account for the difference in call.

There are a lot of subjective calls during most games, but the helmet rule should be cut and dry, either call it in every case or eliminate the rule all together.  The tackle on Diggs after the touchdown should definitely drawn a penalty.  Diggs had every right to be pissed.

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Eh Moore took his helmet off 2 seconds after the play. McLaurin took his helmet off 15 seconds after the play. Huge difference which would account for the difference in call.

So how many seconds do you have to wait before you can take your helmet off in the field of play?  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Yeah thought they could have called that on the Diggs TD.  But at the time the ref may have viewed it as trying to dislodge the ball to void the catch, or at that point he took his eyes off Diggs and didn't see it.  Will be interesting to see if he gets fined even though no call, that can still happen.

As for consistency, all were different crews each with different levels of what they call or don't call.

My guess is, McLaurin wasn't penalized because he didn't take his helmet off until after Washington called a timeout.  You can hear the whistles and the clock stopping beforehand in this clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIAjwoJ9PEw

Moore took his helmet off in celebration of scoring, which is unsportsmanlike conduct.  Personally, I don't like the rule, but again, I'm guessing that's where the difference is.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

There's no "may have" about it. He did cost them the game. Of course he made a good play to tie it, but if he doesn't get that 15 yard penalty the pat would've been good from where they normally kick it.

3 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

My guess is, McLaurin wasn't penalized because he didn't take his helmet off until after Washington called a timeout.  You can hear the whistles and the clock stopping beforehand in this clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIAjwoJ9PEw

Moore took his helmet off in celebration of scoring, which is unsportsmanlike conduct.  Personally, I don't like the rule, but again, I'm guessing that's where the difference is.

This. Players can take their helmets off during time outs.

13 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

So how many seconds do you have to wait before you can take your helmet off in the field of play?  

I'm not saying it is a steadfast rule but that the officials used some discretion in each. I get discretion isnt what you want but a player could've easily put a late hit on Moore when he took his off and had his back turned to the opposing team. Whereas Mclaurin was wandering around midfield and the play was long over, 15 seconds is an eternity after a play. We should know.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I'd like to see how the rule is written, but I don't think time has anything to do with it.  As the OP states, just inconsistencies between different officiating crews. Which unfortunately happens much too often. 

50 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

which one has the prettier gf/ wife?

it’s about as scientific as number of seconds.

Edited by djp14150

49 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Here's an idea... keep your helmet on? 

“Yeah thought they could have called that on the Diggs TD.  But at the time the ref may have viewed it as trying to dislodge the ball to void the catch,”

Uhhhh NOOOO!

You don’t get to pick the WR up after he has gone to the ground successfully AND then throw him to the ground!

Totally illegal and absolutely a PF.

OK, problem solved.  Didn't know time out was called in Colts game and that it is ok to take helmet off during time out.  Much appreciated explanation.  Call against Moore was still ticky tack as my understanding of the rule is that once you are off field of play, it's ok to take helmet off.  Moore didn't remove helmet until he was off field of play.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

I think he took his helmet off after Wash called T.O. So that might account for the difference. 

Scary Terry sees the refs wave TO. No penalty during a TO break for adjusting your equipment?

Yesterday was Moral Victory Monday on Charlotte sports radio with them not able to shut up about this. Diggs catch in Minnesota was even cited as an example.

A 2-6 team lost because they aren’t very good and their QB started the game like garbage. They had a miracle TD catch to end the game and their backup kicker missed TWO field goals.

Boo effing Hoo. The Panthers suck

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.