Week 9: Bills at Jets - Sunday Nov. 6th 1pm

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I have thought about this over the years...

With a number of threads (not all) it is actually much more relevant to keep track of things by TIME or DATE, and not SUBJECT.

It can make finding some types of information a hell of a lot easier.

When it's all piled into 1 giant thread, especially with the amount of garbage in ALL threads here, it make finding timely information almost impossible, or at least very difficult. 

I think this your basic gripe; I agree with it.

I could always be wrong, but I doubt any of the mods are locking or merging legitimate football threads like "Injury report for Week 9".

What happens is that threads like that go two ways: either they don't sustain enough topic-specific discussion (because how much is there to discuss?  [Oh, Milano is questionable.  Oh, he looked as though he was moving pretty well in the reporter videos that were posted.  Maybe he'll play.  Maybe he won't. ]  and they slide down the board, or they devolve into Yet Another Game Week Thread with general discussion due to natural thread drift.

When the threads slide down the board off the first page, the same people who complain they can't find the injury report in a 25 page game week thread, start a thread to complain that they can't find the thread on that topic.  🙄

@WotAGuy has it right.  If you see the Injury Report because you're following along with the discussion, Great.  If you're coming to a discussion board wanting to immediately and easily find a specific information, it really is like going to a Church/Yard Sale or a Thrift Shop looking for a very specific item, like a Dell USB keyboard that is less than 17 1/4" wide.  You might find one at that sale, but it's really the place to go and browse for something that catches your eye and interests you, and there are better places to immediately find that Specific Thing.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could always be wrong, but I doubt any of the mods are locking or merging legitimate football threads like "Injury report for Week 9".

What happens is that threads like that go two ways: either they don't sustain enough topic-specific discussion (because how much is there to discuss?  [Oh, Milano is questionable.  Oh, he looked as though he was moving pretty well in the reporter videos that were posted.  Maybe he'll play.  Maybe he won't. ]  and they slide down the board, or they devolve into Yet Another Game Week Thread with general discussion due to natural thread drift.

When the threads slide down the board off the first page, the same people who complain they can't find the injury report in a 25 page game week thread, start a thread to complain that they can't find the thread on that topic.  🙄

@WotAGuy has it right.  If you see the Injury Report because you're following along with the discussion, Great.  If you're coming to a discussion board wanting to immediately and easily find a specific information, it really is like going to a Church/Yard Sale or a Thrift Shop looking for a very specific item, like a Dell USB keyboard that is less than 17 1/4" wide.  You might find one at that sale, but it's really the place to go and browse for something that catches your eye and interests you, and there are better places to immediately find that Specific Thing.

I mean, anyone can look here... the Bills release them every afternoon Wed.-Fri. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

With Poyer out, it will be interesting to see what Buffalo does at safety.  Obviously, Hamlin is going to continue sub for Hyde.  I expect Johnson will probably start in place of Poyer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dean Marlowe and Cam Lewis get some snaps.  Actually, Cam Lewis is listed as Poyer's backup on the Bills' web site.  It hasn't been updated to show how Marlowe fits into their thinking.

In the Wk 3 and Wk 5 games Poyer missed, Jaquan Johnson played 100% of the snaps for Poyer.  Believe he's the one who came in for Poyer Wk 2 and last week, as well.

One of the things that made Hyde and Poyer such an effective tandem is that they could basically play either role at Safety.   I think that's actually still true with Hamlin, but not true with Johnson.

I don't think it's worthwhile to pay too much attention to the Bills depth charts.  To a certain extent, they reflect the need to put all 53 guys into a slot vs. how the coaches actually view "who would I put in if this guy goes down?"

17 minutes ago, T&C said:

I mean, anyone can look here... the Bills release them every afternoon Wed.-Fri. 

That was pointed out upthread, along with this

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/

which actually gives the opponent's injury report as well.....

....reinforcing the point that if one is looking for specific information like an injury report, this message board is not the best link.

Edited by Beck Water

On 11/2/2022 at 2:10 PM, Big Turk said:

So with Lewis still practicing in full for multiple injury reports now, I am assuming it's still an injury that is bothering him but not enough to keep him out of practice?

On 11/2/2022 at 2:11 PM, Process said:

It's kind of annoying that they include guys like him and vet rest on the injury report. 

At least put them on the bottom or something.

Cam Lewis is reportedly playing with a bone infection that has persisted for.....5 years now?

https://wyrk.com/cam-lewis-bone-infection/

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-cam-lewis-bone-infection-injury-preseason-preview-rumor

It's like "how is this even happening?  How does he even manage with this?"

It's an NFL requirement to list every player who is receiving medical treatment every week on injury report, whether or not they practice in full - and having been chastised in the past, the Bills have recently been sticklers for the Letter of the Law on this point.

The only thing you can bank on is if the Bills organized their injury report differently, outside alphabetical order, someone else would gripe.

8 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

There is a likelihood, granted a small likelihood, that this is the greatest post in the TSW’s 20 or so year history.

The Wall’s checkers should be able to verify this quickly but I am comfortable in awarding it here.

I love it.

God bless, get well my friend, and go Bills.

I...I just...sigh.  I guess that's already on the internet now, forever.

No idea why I thought I'd be in any condition to be playing table tennis today.  I'm just glad to have gotten this over with in time for my "no driving or long car rides" 2 week recovery to clear for the 11 or so hours I'll be on a bus for the day trip to the Thanksgiving game in Detroit.

I guess I'm glad the worst most painful couple days of my life got to put smiles on a few faces lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I...I just...sigh.  I guess that's already on the internet now, forever.

No idea why I thought I'd be in any condition to be playing table tennis today.  I'm just glad to have gotten this over with in time for my "no driving or long car rides" 2 week recovery to clear for the 11 or so hours I'll be on a bus for the day trip to the Thanksgiving game in Detroit.

I guess I'm glad the worst most painful couple days of my life got to put smiles on a few faces lol.

I hear ya, man.  Medical insurance (and medical establishments) are all over "out patient surgery" as a minor procedure.

Instead what it typically means is you feel just as horrid as someone who's in a hospital, except they assess oral medication as sufficient and your odds of actually needing further medical intervention as reasonably low, so they're depending upon your relatives or friends to take care of you - much cheaper than aids or nurses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I hear ya, man.  Medical insurance (and medical establishments) are all over "out patient surgery" as a minor procedure.

Instead what it typically means is you feel just as horrid as someone who's in a hospital, except they assess oral medication as sufficient and your odds of actually needing further medical intervention as reasonably low, so they're depending upon your relatives or friends to take care of you - much cheaper than aids or nurses.

Thanks.  Unfortunately those oral medications ended up not including the stuff specifically meant to ease the pain of passing concentrated urine and clotted blood through a freshly shredded urethra.  Regular painkillers (Tylenol 3s now, the percocets made me sick) will have to do.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think I've seen your entire discussion, but I want to jump in.  

First, let me say that this is, by all measures, an excellent fan forum, based on quality of discussion, information, absence of nonsense.  It's so good that I've long since stopped wishing the moderators might do things a little differently here or there.   It's easier just to accept and live by the rules in place here.  Different responsible people might run it differently, but it certainly works great for my purposes, and probably most other posters agree, if they think about.  

Having said that, I would like it better if people started threads a little more liberally.  Poyer's elbow injury, a thread that came back for six weeks ago to continue a discussion about Poyer's injuries in 2022, is just not a good place to look for not just news, but for discussion also.   We know the history of the first four weeks of the season, and discussion about Poyer now is in the context of what fans know now.   New injury, new thread.   And it doesn't help much when someone changes the title and says "Update, p27."   

As for looking for news, it is darn convenient for fans, and it's what makes the place attractive to a lot of people, is that I know I can come here and if there's news, Yolo's posted it.  I mean, man, what a service that is.   No BS news, just real news, with links.  

Like I said, I've got no complaints.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.