Week 9: Bills at Jets - Sunday Nov. 6th 1pm

YoloinOhio

50 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

LOL

But being serious....the "well-timed" bit will probably take more than 3 practices to get down.

I'd like to see Hines out there returning punts this week, but being realistic, I don't think he's active for a week or 2 until he masters the playbook.  But after listening to his press conference I have no doubt he will do so in short order.  Stretch goal, wonder if we could see him for the Vikings?

A counter point: CMC joined the 49ers on a Friday. 2 days later he was up to snuff enough for 10 touches against the Chiefs. Now, I realize that CMC and Hines are different people in different situations. However getting Hines in on Tuesday and already practicing (and who knows if extra work has been put in after practice. Knowing Allen and reading about Hines....I would bet there is) there isn't really any reason that Dorsey can't have 8-10 plays scripted up with Hines in mind. I expect him to be active this week as the prime PR and see 10-12 snaps...especially if we happen to get up big. He's a pro. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

A counter point: CMC joined the 49ers on a Friday. 2 days later he was up to snuff enough for 10 touches against the Chiefs. Now, I realize that CMC and Hines are different people in different situations. However getting Hines in on Tuesday and already practicing (and who knows if extra work has been put in after practice. Knowing Allen and reading about Hines....I would bet there is) there isn't really any reason that Dorsey can't have 8-10 plays scripted up with Hines in mind. I expect him to be active this week as the prime PR and see 10-12 snaps...especially if we happen to get up big. He's a pro. 

In addition, you don’t have to know much about a playbook to return punts and kickoffs.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

several times a game? no he does not

Not several times a game. Maybe a year. He flopped and got the call about once this year. The Jets guy should worry about not taking stupid late shots at Qb’s that cost his team games. Like the rules or not it is going to get called. It’s about playing smart football. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

can you believe how good the bills are? They have been relatively sloppy with turnovers and are still blowing teams out. 

Bills have also been middle of the road in redzone efficiency after being league leaders in 2020 and 2021.  There remains so much more room for improvement.  This team has not yet realized its full potential.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Bills have also been middle of the road in redzone efficiency after being league leaders in 2020 and 2021.  There remains so much more room for improvement.  This team has not yet realized its full potential.

Have they not realized it?  Or have they not yet chosen to show the rest of the world what they know they're capable of?

• Haha (+1) 1

Something many are forgetting...

In the last game of the year last year, a 27-10 win over these same Jets, Zach Wilson looked dreadful.  The Jets had 59 total yards of offense for the game and 40 of it came on a single pass play(to Crowder if I am not mistaken).  The Bills also played their backups for at least a quarter, so he did nothing against them either...

I honestly don't see the Jets doing much offensively this game, this is really bad matchup for a QB like Wilson especially with the Bills being so disciplined and always in the right spots defensively.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

LOL

But being serious....the "well-timed" bit will probably take more than 3 practices to get down.

I'd like to see Hines out there returning punts this week, but being realistic, I don't think he's active for a week or 2 until he masters the playbook.  But after listening to his press conference I have no doubt he will do so in short order.  Stretch goal, wonder if we could see him for the Vikings?

I believe he will be active this week returning punts and maybe a few packages.  It doesnt take much to learn some simple stuff.  Doesnt need to know the entire playbook to be active.  Doesnt really need to know much of anything to return punts.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Something many are forgetting...

In the last game of the year last year, a 27-10 win over these same Jets, Zach Wilson looked dreadful.  The Jets had 59 total yards of offense for the game and 40 of it came on a single pass play(to Crowder if I am not mistaken).  The Bills also played their backups for at least a quarter, so he did nothing against them either...

I honestly don't see the Jets doing much offensively this game, this is really bad matchup for a QB like Wilson especially with the Bills being so disciplined and always in the right spots defensively.

True but last year was last year.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I believe he will be active this week returning punts and maybe a few packages.  It doesnt take much to learn some simple stuff.  Doesnt need to know the entire playbook to be active.  Doesnt really need to know much of anything to return punts.

Yep.  The guy's been around for a few years.  He's an experienced dude.  Shouldn't take him long to get up to speed.  We'll get a couple of chances to see him with the ball in his hands this week, and the following week should be all systems go.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's fair, but a lot depends upon how similar the terminology and play calls are between Carolina and SF.  One is listed as an "Air Coryell" offense and the other as a "WCO".  I *think* the terminology has the same structure, but not 100%.  So it might be more like going from Portuguese to Spanish than from Portuguese to Flemish.

The other thing is...I don't wanna be "that guy", but I guess I'm gonna.  CMC is a Big Star expected to be a Game Changer - the 49ers hope will transform their season from 3-4 pretenders into legit Contenders. 

Nyheim Hines in his best year on a playoff-contending Colts, was the #2 RB on the team and the #4 receiver on the team - and that was 2 seasons ago.  He is hoped to be, as Beane said "another guy that (offensive coordinator) Ken Dorsey and Josh (Allen) and the crew can use just as another offensive piece" on a 6-1 team currently first place in the AFC with the #2 point-scoring offense in the NFL.

The Game Changer is the guy you design 8-10 plays around on a short week in the hope of injecting some pep into your lackluster offense.

Excited as we are to add Nyheim Hines and to hope that he was a "bad fit" contributing to the Colts offense and will become a much more valuable piece here....8-10 plays is what, 1/4 to 1/3 of the weekly game plan?  Is that really what you do for "just another offensive piece" on a short week?

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

You say 'whining'. I say 'working the refs' to do anything he can to help his team win a game. It is not cheating. It is an art. 

Definitely agree.  But fans of the other team, and probably the other team, consider it whining - like we did when Brady was getting every call he demanded.

It’s definitely gamesmanship. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.