Week 9: Bills at Jets - Sunday Nov. 6th 1pm

YoloinOhio

I don't really mind Muki, but explicitly calling him out as a breath of fresh air with a bunch of elaborating paragraphs is goofy. The dude is very clearly operating without a full toolbox and every question he asks feels unprofessional and more like a question a 12 year old would ask 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Johnnyp566 said:

To get picked off while trying to “dirt” the ball in the red zone is reckless and a garbage brand of football. Josh Allen is great…but it’s not acceptable when you have the chance to seal the game or ever for that matter.  

Can you please explain what do you mean by "it's not acceptable"?

Serious question. Like you are going to fire him if he does it again? Or you want Bills to get rid of him? Or you stop rooting for the Bills? Or exactly what are you not going to "accept"?

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Can you please explain what do you mean by "it's no acceptable"?

Serios question. Like you are going to fire him if he does it again? Or you want Bills to get rid of him? Or you stop rooting for the Bills? Or exactly what are you not going to accept?

I like when people say something is unacceptable when you have no choice but to accept it. Like when saying 'what an unbelievable play" when you just saw it happen. It's very believable

25 minutes ago, arcane said:

I don't really mind Muki, but explicitly calling him out as a breath of fresh air with a bunch of elaborating paragraphs is goofy. The dude is very clearly operating without a full toolbox and every question he asks feels unprofessional and more like a question a 12 year old would ask 

Gee ..lucky you don’t mind him… I would hate what you would say about someone who really offends you..

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

According to Colin Cowherd the Bills "struggled" against the Packers because they were cocky and full of themselves. This is because the the City of Buffalo has never won anything, so we have no self esteem. 

Yes Colin, that makes sense. Josh Allen is suddenly too-cocky, Sean McDermott is now shooting his mouth off like Rex Ryan, Von Miller is known for his mouth. 

Media loves Stef Diggs, just as long as he doesn't jaw with Jaire Alexander. 

This is the same old media. We're happy for little Buffalo, just as long as they don't really win anything. 

Drop the Bills to 8th on your little Top 10 list Colin, and talk about how running the ball is the Packers new identity. My gosh. 

Let's see if the Bills over-cockiness rubs off this week and we get ambushed by the Jets. 

I saw him yesterday pushing this narrative as he interviewed both Joe Thomas and Sean Peyton and both of them werent having it in the least. Basically shutting him down and sayin Buffalo is doing just fine.

Today he says KC would beat Buff on a neutral field and thats why he has them ranked higher. These 2 teams literally just played in Arrowhead no more than 2 weeks ago and the Chiefs lost.... What in the actual F*** is he talking about??!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah, I have no concerns that Josh is suddenly regressing. 

He was late and threw across his body on the first one. 

And the second one he said he wanted to spike the ball and just didn't get it there. 

What I think the Bills need to work on is getting Gabe involved in every game, smoothing out his up and down performances. If he's not catching deep, are there other ways he can contribute, drag routes across the field and sideline out routes? Not sure on the specifics, but it was clear to me as that game went along in the second half that Gabe could have given the offense a spark. 

Allen regressing? Seriously?  Josh Allen has gone to the next level this season in terms of his deep throws.  He is practically god-mode when pressured.  His reads have been spectacular.

He made a couple of bad throws while up 17 points in a game coming off a bye against a desperate team who's posted 50+ wins the last 4 seasons (the Packers still have talent).

The Bills have beaten the three other AFC division leaders already this year. Allen has out-dueled the three previous league MVPs.  

Despite all that, he's regressing because of two bad throws?  

Edited by Perry Turtle
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

How you figure that? 

Seriously - what are your criteria?

Statistically, Titans and Rams are better on points against and yards against.  Ravens get more TO. 

Titans, Chiefs, Rams, Ravens and Dolphins allow fewer rush yards against.

Packers and Rams allow fewer pass yards against.

I don't want to take away from the Jets, I think they have a very good D.  Salah was a good DC in SF.

But what makes them the best D we've faced in your view?

Defensively, the stats that matter most to coaches are YPC rushing and YPA passing. The Jets currently rank 2nd (3.8 ypc) and 5th (5.8 ypa) in the league, respectively, in those categories. Those numbers are off the NFL.com league defensive stats page. 

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/rushing/2022/reg/all

Edited by K-9

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The stats that matter most to coaches are YPC rushing and YPA passing. The Jets currently rank 2nd (3.8 ypc) and 5th (5.8 ypa) in the league, respectively, in those categories. Those numbers are off the NFL.com league defensive stats page. 

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/rushing/2022/reg/all

Question: how do you know those are the stats that matter most to coaches?  Just curious

Anyway, answers my question about the criteria used to state that the Jets are the best D we've faced.

A counterpoint would be: 5.8 ypp and 3.8 ypa both move the chains.  The Jets are 12th in 1st D/game and 25th in plays per game, which doubtless is impacted by their offense, but nevertheless.

Just now, Beck Water said:

Question: how do you know those are the stats that matter most to coaches?  Just curious

Anyway, answers my question about the criteria used to state that the Jets are the best D we've faced.

A counterpoint would be: 5.8 ypp and 3.8 ypa both move the chains.  The Jets are 12th in 1st D/game and 25th in plays per game, which doubtless is impacted by their offense, but nevertheless.

Because I’ve been around enough of them and have compiled enough film edits for them to know. They wanted to know yards per play given up defensively by opponents both overall and in each category separately for better context and then see if the film matched the numbers and why. Granted, that was decades ago in another life, but I think that still holds true.  

As to the counterpoint, I don’t recall off the top of my head any great defenses whose stats wouldn’t move the chains if those averages are strictly applied to three or four downs. The 1985 Bears is considered the best defense in history and even their per play averages both running and passing “would move the chains.” But we both know football isn’t played like that. 

3 hours ago, arcane said:

Muki talks like a 5th grader lol

1 hour ago, arcane said:

You "don't really mind" the guy so much you had to make two posts with the same theme?  What and how many times would you post about someone you do really mind?

Hint: the elaborating paragraphs were about what McDermott responded and how he appeared, not about Muki. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Gee ..lucky you don’t mind him… I would hate what you would say about someone who really offends you..

Well normally I wouldn't care about C-rate reporting/grammar from some C-rate media organization in Rochester, so in that sense I don't mind him. He sounds like a chill guy to hang out with, so it's nothing personal. 

Just pretty surprising to read that level of praise lol

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You "don't really mind" the guy so much you had to make two posts with the same theme?  What and how many times would you post about someone you do really mind?

Hint: the elaborating paragraphs were about what McDermott responded and how he appeared, not about Muki. 

I guess it's now 3 lol. Seems a fair number for something that actually makes your eyebrows raise in real life.

Anyway

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Because I’ve been around enough of them and have compiled enough film edits for them to know. They wanted to know yards per play given up defensively by opponents both overall and in each category separately for better context and then see if the film matched the numbers and why. Granted, that was decades ago in another life, but I think that still holds true. 

Thanks for the response.  I totally believe that would be important to coaches (then and now) in the context of watching film and looking to see if the film matches the #s.

One thing about the "move the chains" thing (and why I think YPC/YPA aren't the be-all end-all to coaches) is, what characterizes the great defenses is that in addition to being tough to move the ball on, they make big plays.  They force fumbles, they get interceptions, they get sacks. 

Which is of course why teams don't generally embrace the dink-n-dunk down the field offense, and keep trying for the big play.

Anyway, the Jets undoubtedly have good YPC/YPA numbers.  For some other parameters I think are important (no clue whether or not they're important to coaches), 32% or almost 1/3 of drives against them end in a score - similar to the Titans.  They're 9th in TO and 12.4% of their opponents drives end in a takeaway which is 12th, below the Ravens and Titans.  And, they've given up 19 1st downs by penalty, 28th in the league.

I think they're a good defense.  I'm not sure they're the best defense we've faced.  One factor for a few of the D's we've faced is that when the game finished (notably against the Rams, Titans, and Steelers) their defensive stats were notably worse than when it kicked off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.