If you saw a current Bills player do something stupid, would you lean towards giving him a pass?

Draconator

Summer 2019, I was on the 90 heading south before the 219. It's 55 mph there but everyone goes 60-65. I was probably going 65 (10 mph over the speed limit) and a black Shelby Raptor pickup went flying by me like I was standing still. It was Josh doing what must have been 80-90+ in a 55. I yelled out the window "I wanted Rosen!" True story...up until that last part

I think your expectations are wildly out whack if you expect all 53 guys on the active roster to scrupulously obey all traffic laws.  I mean, come on.  That's a "you" problem.  

I'm sympathetic to the argument that teams should decline to roster players who have been convicted of domestic abuse and other serious violent crimes.  But I don't care if they got into a bar fight in college, have a DUI, have speeding tickets, don't return their shopping carts back to the corral, or whatever.  We all work around a bunch of coworkers with stuff like that in their background and it's no big deal.  Why should pro athletes be treated any differently?

(Of course, if a player gets pulled over for a moving violation, we all know the correct play is to remind the officer that you're a member of the Buffalo Bills and you are worth millions.  That always goes over well.)

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1

It's not like this is a new thing.  Does anybody else remember the "Fredonia 500" when the players would zoom down the 90 after training camp was over in Fredonia? 

I was a kid then but I definitely remember people talking about it.  

You can only be as safe as you can be.  I try not to get mad about anything anymore, it's just not worth it.  I'm not very good at succeeding, but I'm trying. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s 2022-  shut your mouth or risk getting shot.  

I’d do exactly the same thing I’d do if it were a Joe Schmo.  Nothing.  The only other option we really have is to call the cops.  Anything else could get you killed.  People shooting each other for the stupidest things nowadays. 

EXACTLY!!!

The best thing you can do is ask yourself if you are a police officer. If the answer in no, keep driving. If the answer is yes and you are off duty, keep driving.

Police Departments do not want their officers to get involved in traffic incidents/disputes. Doing so tends to bring about lawsuits and bad publicity.

People cut me off constantly. As long as nobody is hurt I don't care at all, and btw, when you see 2 cars speeding in and out of traffic on highways at very high speeds, they are often on their way to a location to make a drug deal and need to be there at a specific time. I also don't care about them. If they kill themselves I am not glad, but I certainly would not give it much of a second thought.

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Boomer Esiasson once passed me on the Long Island Expressway in a 2 seater Mercedes and was doing well over 100 mph.  I think that this was stupid behavior but I didn't care then and I don't care now.

I think it’s worth caring about a little.  Tens of thousands of people die every year because of others’ reckless behavior on the road.

A young 20-something-year-old driving fast?  Doesn't make a blip on my radar screen as long as he wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol.  If he hits somebody it's negligence and he has insurance to cover that.

In general, I would let acts of simple negligence go without much of a second thought.  Activity that is criminal, or morally/ethically questionable, is what I'm concerned about.

I'm  no Pollyanna (and certainly not when it comes to the speed limit), but this is about more than a muscle car getting into someone's head -- that sh!t makes your community (your kids?) less safe, and is a risk to the football team as well.  Call the team, you'll probs get some PR dude, and tell them someone needs to pull that kid aside and tell him to wise up - he's putting himself, your community, and the team's multi-million dollar investment at risk.  Football playin young men don't HAVE to be stupid.

33 minutes ago, eball said:

A young 20-something-year-old driving fast?  Doesn't make a blip on my radar screen as long as he wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol.  If he hits somebody it's negligence and he has insurance to cover that.

In general, I would let acts of simple negligence go without much of a second thought.  Activity that is criminal, or morally/ethically questionable, is what I'm concerned about.

I'm not sure his insurance will cover the grieving of the family - and the damage to the locker room?

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

This happened to me yesterday, so I'm putting this out there for the general TBD population for your takes on this.

French Rd in Cheektowaga, NY (bordering West Seneca) is a 4 lane road with a center turn lane. With is being a residential street, the speed limit is 35mph.  I was driving down going about 45mph, keeping up with traffic. (The cops allow 45mph on most days down French).  I'm in the left hand lane, behind an SUV, with a pick up truck driving along side of us in the right hand land.

In my rearview mirror I see this Chevy Camaro flying up behind us. It wasn't a stock Camaro either, definitely newer model, top of the line package. The guys was looking for every opportunity to pass us. We all pull up to a stop light, I look at the Camaro, the driver has his window rolled down, and it Greg Rousseau. I wave, he gives me the peace sign back. The light turns green, the truck pulls away first, and Groot flies around the truck, pulls in front of him to make a right hand turn onto Union. 

Normally I would be cursing the driver of the Camaro out for being such an idiot. With it being Rousseau, I was just like, "young kid, boys will be boys". That's not the correct reaction to have, but that was my first reaction. 

What would you have done is someone like Allen or Miller did something that if it were any other person, you'd think to yourself, "what an idiot"?

Wait that is not normal????  My Wife does ***** like this all the time????

Seriously I felt more safe on the ASRs in Iraq than I do riding shotgun with my wife

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Bill Lewes said:

I'm not sure his insurance will cover the grieving of the family - and the damage to the locker room?

Obviously there are varying severities of automobile collisions...which would be taken into account.  My comments are related to "simple negligence."  Gross negligence is another matter.

I love you Groot but if you are a bad driver I think you need cut it out.   Athletes are idolized and I get it. But not caring about public safety shouldn't be one of the perks of the job. You have a lot to lose young man. Smarten Up.

• Agree 1

It's amazing with all the dumb stuff these young players do there aren't more off the field injuries

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s 2022-  shut your mouth or risk getting shot.  

I’d do exactly the same thing I’d do if it were a Joe Schmo.  Nothing.  The only other option we really have is to call the cops.  Anything else could get you killed.  People shooting each other for the stupidest things nowadays. 

100000% this...I mean it's at the point now where people ask someone to move their cart out of the way at Walmart and get stabbed and killed...people are literally crazy and you never know what mental state a person is in that day that could make them snap.

• Agree 1

When I was that age, I drove like that.  I also still drive 80+ all the time on the highway (just did a bit on my way to work this AM), but I only do so when the traffic conditions permit it.  I wouldn't hold it too much against Rousseau.  I'm sure he has better hand-eye coordination than I do or ever did.

I do NOT give guys a break that put their hands on women and children or commit serious crimes.

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

This happened to me yesterday, so I'm putting this out there for the general TBD population for your takes on this.

French Rd in Cheektowaga, NY (bordering West Seneca) is a 4 lane road with a center turn lane. With is being a residential street, the speed limit is 35mph.  I was driving down going about 45mph, keeping up with traffic. (The cops allow 45mph on most days down French).  I'm in the left hand lane, behind an SUV, with a pick up truck driving along side of us in the right hand land.

In my rearview mirror I see this Chevy Camaro flying up behind us. It wasn't a stock Camaro either, definitely newer model, top of the line package. The guys was looking for every opportunity to pass us. We all pull up to a stop light, I look at the Camaro, the driver has his window rolled down, and it Greg Rousseau. I wave, he gives me the peace sign back. The light turns green, the truck pulls away first, and Groot flies around the truck, pulls in front of him to make a right hand turn onto Union. 

Normally I would be cursing the driver of the Camaro out for being such an idiot. With it being Rousseau, I was just like, "young kid, boys will be boys". That's not the correct reaction to have, but that was my first reaction. 

What would you have done is someone like Allen or Miller did something that if it were any other person, you'd think to yourself, "what an idiot"?

I'm a bit unclear by what you mean by "give him a pass". 

What would you do for anyone else?  Send your dashcam video to the local police station?  Call 911?

Most of us witness 1 to 100 stupid actions by other drivers a day (number a function of how many hours a day you drive, not where you live).  Do you really get worked up about each and every one of them?  I admire your energy and endurance.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.