Have you ever seen so many teams "give up" to a team before

Sharky7337

9 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I will say this.  I was definitely as confused as many others yesterday watching Green Bay continue to run the football as the clock simply ticked away.  In my mind I did feel a bit like they were kinda throwing in the towel.  There was way too much time remaining with them down three scores at one point.  That's the reigning league MVP under center, I don't care if you've got Kelvin Benjamin with turf toe, Antonio Brown with a lot on his mind, and Josh Gordon with an ounce of gangja in his socks, IMO you let Rodgers air it out....

So yeah, last night probably was the first time the thought crossed my mind, "uhh, is GB just giving up?"

The Packers pass game was locked down from the Bills. They decided to change it up and try new running plays which worked like a charm. They're RB's had a hay day and it was just too little too late for them. My concern was how easily they ran it on us. Like Von Miller said in his post game conference....Bills thought they were going to start throwing considering the score and time left in the game. They just didn't so it caught us off guard. Green Bay didn't give up. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Do you think this bills team (win or lose or whatever in the post season) is one of the best football teams ever seen (just from what we have seen so far)?

IF the Bills can finish the job this season, as well as get out with a 14-3 or better regular season record.... I believe they will deservedly join the conversation of a top 5-10 all-time NFL team.  

The offense is one thing.  It is impressive, explosive, and I daresay Josh Allen is one of the most electric football players ever.  And he is likeable.

But this defense has got to be a nightmare to gameplan for and execute. 

2 hours ago, RangerDave said:

I did notice that after the 2 minites warning, Rodgers threw a complete pass.  The receiver stayed inbounds and it took them 30 seconds to start the next play.  There was no sense of urgency from what I saw.  Two minutes to go and down only ten points.... Josh would be balling!

Bingo !! I commented on this at the time. They were so leisurely huddling and going to the line. Burned 20 to 30 seconds off clock several times late. My other thought is that they didn't want to get Rogers hurt and were circling the wagons for next week.

One or more of Packers, Rams, Bucs not making playoffs. Pack right on the edge of the abyss and def out if Rogers gets hurt.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Green Bay gave up. I get the point that people wonder why they didn't air it out but take out two circus catches by Doubs what other pass game did they have? You can't live on circus catches. I understand why they stuck with the run. 

Problem is when you’re down 17 points in the 4th you have essentially zero chance of winning by running the ball. So in that case they did give up any realistic chance of winning.

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Sorry. I meant Tennesee, which is not one mentioned, but they started playing backups.

If there's absolutely no chance of a comeback it's not giving up if you pull your starters to fight another day. Imagine losing Derrick Henry to an ACL in Week 2 while the team was on the wrong end of an arse whooping in the 4th quarter with no chance of winning. OOOF... 

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

If there's absolutely no chance of a comeback it's not giving up if you pull your starters to fight another day. Imagine losing Derrick Henry to an ACL in Week 2 while the team was on the wrong end of an arse whooping in the 4th quarter with no chance of winning. OOOF... 

Exactly. Our starters were also on the sideline before the end of the 3rd quarter since the game was essentially over.

11 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Just thinking about some of the wins we have seen - we have seen about three times out of our games in just this season where you could argue the teams basically gave up.

Green Bay, Los Angeles, arguably Pittsburg

I do not recall seeing teams do that to any team in my memory.

Do you think this bills team (win or lose or whatever in the post season) is one of the best football teams ever seen (just from what we have seen so far)?

I dont think they "gave up"  I think they decided that was going to be their best way to win the game.  And just never got our of it until too late is all

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Maybe our opponents are not all “giving up”, but interesting comments from at least a few opposing coaches:

McVey - That was humbling

Vrabel - We got our asses kicked

Tomlin - We got smashed

LaFleur definitely appeared defeated right after halftime last night too.  Saleh will be next.

One thing I love with our Bills this year is aside from having certain players that are extremely gifted physically, I think the leaders of this team (Josh, Stefon, Von, Tremaine, Milano, etc.) are giving us a solid mental edge too.

This!

My take is Buffalo could have laid a 50 burger on GB if they had kept their proverbial foot on the gas. 

I dunno, perhaps Josh didn't want to humiliate one of his football hero's. If the score had really gotten out of hand it would have forced GB to pass more. Thus getting Rodgers killed.

Just a thought.

As far as all that running goes. It was what LaFleur did when he took over the team in 2019 in which they went from a 6-9-1 season to several 13-3 seasons. The Bills slammed the door on that 3rd qtr 6:37 min drive on that 4th and one. Plus, the difference being the Packers had WR's Devante Adams, Scantling back then. 

Nowadays, the GB TE Robert Tonyan is their leading receiver with 35 receptions. Next is Aaron Jones with 30. Why they let those two WR's leave...? If their FO didn't want to win they should have traded Rodgers. 

To put that in perspective currently Tyreek Hill has 69 receptions, Diggs 55.

On another note, Jests getting +13... and it should be a Buffalo stomping. 

11 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I will say this.  I was definitely as confused as many others yesterday watching Green Bay continue to run the football as the clock simply ticked away.  In my mind I did feel a bit like they were kinda throwing in the towel.  There was way too much time remaining with them down three scores at one point.  That's the reigning league MVP under center, I don't care if you've got Kelvin Benjamin with turf toe, Antonio Brown with a lot on his mind, and Josh Gordon with an ounce of gangja in his socks, IMO you let Rodgers air it out....

So yeah, last night probably was the first time the thought crossed my mind, "uhh, is GB just giving up?"

Green Bay's O line was getting run over by us in pass protection.  And Rodgers isn't outrunning many defenders any longer.  Plus they were running well on us in the second half.  You keep doing what works.  

Rodgers may have been MVP last year.  But he is not that great any longer.  He has one Super Bowl in 14 seasons as a starter.  And this year will make it 15 years w one Super Bowl appearance.  The hype surrounding Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous and has always been that way.  Brady has 10 Super Bowls.  Peyton 4  Rodgers 1.  Brees 1.  Rivers 0.  End of story.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

yep. they gave up. and to be honest it's a mix of fear and knowledge. Fear cause of the team you're playing against. For years the Bills Feared NE and made one stupid play after another and gave up by mid third quarter. It's also Knowledge that they know if the Bills really wanted to crank it up (even above the INT'S) we could have put more points on the board.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ta111 said:

Problem is when you’re down 17 points in the 4th you have essentially zero chance of winning by running the ball. So in that case they did give up any realistic chance of winning.

I don't disagree that it made the game very difficult to win for them. I know fans thing just be aggressive whoever you have out there... but I think being conservative on offense is the way Green Bay need to go for now. It makes their path to wins very narrow.

I don’t think they gave up so much as the Bills just beat them into submission.   Consider that we score a TD, get the ball right back, score a second TD on the 1st play of the 2nd half.  

Then GB took close to 10mins (I think) to methodically move the ball down the field.  It was a beautiful drive and I can imagine exactly what the coach told them was the game plan to slow down our offense and stay in the game.  They score on that amazing catch.  Score is 14-7, GB bench is ecstatic!   With just about 4mins left, its a one score game and they get the ball to start the half.   The game plan is working. 

Bills get the ball, score a TD. Just under 2mins, GB gets the ball ends up punting.   With 53seconds, Josh hits a bomb to Diggs, we kick a half ending FG. 

Its 24-7.   The Bills easily scored on 4 consecutive drives. And I’m sure Rodgers was thinking well this game plan sucks.. just as the coaches said they’re gonna stick to it.   

GB played tough and physical.  But the game was never in doubt.  The Bills controlled it and every one knew it. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Green Bay gave up. I get the point that people wonder why they didn't air it out but take out two circus catches by Doubs what other pass game did they have? You can't live on circus catches. I understand why they stuck with the run. 

I think they swapped from play to win to play not to be embarrassed and maybe lightning strikes down Josh causing a scoop and score by the defense. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.