Is There So Little Love for Tremaine Edmunds?

Shaw66

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Here’s a question for all the Edmunds detractors. How do you feel about a game like tomorrow’s, knowing you have Tremaine running down backs and covering underneath patterns? If your answer is very confident, you must paying this guy with the highest paid lbs in the league.

I'm stoked to watch him whiff on backs at the LOS, get dragged 5 yards downfield and make zero plays on the ball in those underneath patterns.

• Eyeroll 1

19 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm stoked to watch him whiff on backs at the LOS, get dragged 5 yards downfield and make zero plays on the ball in those underneath patterns.

You’re delusional and an embarrassment to objective observers. If you’ve watched the games without the predisposition of being a hater, which is sad because the guy is a top 10  lb in the game, you would arrive at the same appreciation that every broadcast team has for Edmunds. We don’t have more than a few top players in the game, this guy is one of them. It took him a few seasons to get there, but at 24 he’s there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

You’re delusional and an embarrassment to objective observers. If you’ve watched the games without the predisposition of being a hater, which is sad because the guy is a top 10  lb in the game, you would arrive at the same appreciation that every broadcast team has for Edmunds. We don’t have more than a few top players in the game, this guy is one of them. It took him a few seasons to get there, but at 24 he’s there.

it took him 5 seasons to get to average-above average. Saying he's top 10 is laughable. You either don't watch any games that don't involve Buffalo or have a completely biased perspective. It's blatantly disrespectful to actual top 10 players to say he's anywhere near that list. Milano's on the outside edge of it and he's far superior to Edmunds.

People are grossly overcompensating for Edmunds having a single season that is far better than any season he's ever had (in a contract year of course), and even still what has he done in that season? 1 sack, 5 TFL, 0 Int, 0 fumbles, 4 pass deflections.

There's only so much a being a rodeo clown standing in the middle of a backfield is worth.

Just say he's played great this season and I won't fight you on it. Why isn't that enough? Some people have to ballwash every player around here like they have no competition in the league, when it's nowhere close to true. People did the same thing a couple years ago calling Beasley the #1 slot receiver in the NFL and that turned out rather predictably.

There are a lot of talented players in this league, a small number of them are elite.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

i will say my fav player, but i cringe when we give up third and long, when the defence should make a stop, that i believe is Leslie Frazier scheme.

the whole defence is at fault.

now going forward, we look at costs and do we keep the defence together or go cheaper option in draft.

measure situation after playoffs, the o line needs to be better for sure, we cant keep still, we have to get stronger all round.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

it took him 5 seasons to get to average-above average. Saying he's top 10 is laughable. You either don't watch any games that don't involve Buffalo or have a completely biased perspective. It's blatantly disrespectful to actual top 10 players to say he's anywhere near that list. Milano's on the outside edge of it and he's far superior to Edmunds.

People are grossly overcompensating for Edmunds having a single season that is far better than any season he's ever had (in a contract year of course), and even still what has he done in that season? 1 sack, 5 TFL, 0 Int, 0 fumbles, 4 pass deflections.

There's only so much a being a rodeo clown standing in the middle of a backfield is worth.

Just say he's played great this season and I won't fight you on it. Why isn't that enough? Some people have to ballwash every player around here like they have no competition in the league, when it's nowhere close to true. People did the same thing a couple years ago calling Beasley the #1 slot receiver in the NFL and that turned out rather predictably.

There are a lot of talented players in this league, a small number of them are elite.

Why would you even care how long it’s taken  him to be good? A rodeo clown? You’re just an angry red hot trying to rip anyone who’s getting recognition for being an overachiever. Predictable that you invoke Beasley, who produced big time until last season when he played thru injury. Who cares about his comps around the league? You’re not being forced to support Bills players. There are a host of great lbs around the league. Edmunds is a young guy who’s  becoming great and he plays for us. Deal with it.

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Why would you even care how long it’s taken  him to be good? A rodeo clown? You’re just an angry red hot trying to rip anyone who’s getting recognition for being an overachiever. Predictable that you invoke Beasley, who produced big time until last season when he played thru injury. Who cares about his comps around the league? You’re not being forced to support Bills players. There are a host of great lbs around the league. Edmunds is a young guy who’s  becoming great and he plays for us. Deal with it.

Why would I care about how long it's taken him to get good?
Because he's had 4 awful seasons and one good one. He's the center of a defense that repeatedly falls apart in crunch time. I think the player he is is much closer to that player he's been the first 61 games of his career and not the last 10. I don't want to see our staff reward his one-year wonder play with a long term contract and be saddled with a middle linebacker that can't hit, can't tackle, can't shed a block, can't rush the passer, can't play the football, can't cover a TE, and most of all who I can't count on to make 1 play to win a game.

A rodeo clown?
Yes. A rodeo clown. When all of his flaws are laid bare, as they have been in this thread, people defer to the fact that he's a deterrent in the middle of the field. That he some how causes QBs to not make plays just by virtue of being present. To me, that's saying that he's playing the role of a rodeo clown. He's absolutely no threat to the bull, but maybe he can distract him long enough to protect another player from getting burned. If true (i haven't seen much data to suggest it is) it's a noble endeavor, but not worthy of an "elite" moniker or top LB money.

I'm not looking to rip anyone for being an overachiever. I love overachievers - Freddie, Stevie, Kyle, George Wilson, Ryan Bates, Jim Leonhard, Jon DiGiorgio, MATT MILANO etc. Overachievers are people that weren't supposed to be any good, but carved out a role for themselves based on determination and effort. Soemtimes that role is niche and in the case of Kyle and Milano they became elite stars. That's to be commended.

I rip underachievers - players like Edmunds that have all world ability and don't put in the work to reach their potential. There is nothing about Edmunds 6'5" 250lb 4.54 body that prevents him from laying a jarring hit on anyone. The reason he can't shed a block, intercept a pass, force a fumble or sack the quarterback isn't because he doesn't possess the physical attributes to do so, it's because he doesn't have the technique to do so. In my eyes that's either a lack of effort/practice or a lack of football IQ.

Regarding Beasley - again please try to hold off on the ballwashing. I never said he was a bad football player (though he was objectively bad in 2021). His first couple of years here the hype around him was far far overblown. He was a competent player with solid strengths and significant weaknesses. He was a valuable asset, but some in Bills fandom crowned him the best slot wr in the league. That statement was just as ridiculous then as a statement about Edmunds being top 10 now.

Who cares about his comps around the league?
You do apparently, because this entire discussion is based off your statement he's a top 10 player. If you said we was a top 20 player, we aren't having this discussion.

I don't need to "deal" with Edmunds being good. I want nothing more than for it to be true.

I just don't see it happening. Finding a great MLB is tough, and it would be best if we had one on the roster. I watched him last week fail to wrap up Carter in the flat because he tried to tackle him around the shoulders and he bounced right off him. He's been int he NFL 5 years and he still has ***** tackling form. He still can't shed a block, but thankfully the massive improvement on the DL has prevented him from having to worry about it. He still can't catch a football.

There's a reason he's playing on his 5th year without a contract extension on  a team in win-now mode.

• Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because he's had 4 awful seasons and one good one. He's the center of a defense that repeatedly falls apart in crunch time. I think the player he is is much closer to that player he's been the first 61 games of his career and not the last 10. I don't want to see our staff reward his one-year wonder play with a long term contract and be saddled with a middle linebacker that can't hit, can't tackle, can't shed a block, can't rush the passer, can't play the football, can't cover a TE, and most of all who I can't count on to make 1 play to win a game.

A rodeo clown?
Yes. A rodeo clown. When all of his flaws are laid bare, as they have been in this thread, people defer to the fact that he's a deterrent in the middle of the field. That he some how causes QBs to not make plays just by virtue of being present. To me, that's saying that he's playing the role of a rodeo clown. He's absolutely no threat to the bull, but maybe he can distract him long enough to protect another player from getting burned. If true (i haven't seen much data to suggest it is) it's a noble endeavor, but not worthy of an "elite" moniker or top LB money.

I'm not looking to rip anyone for being an overachiever. I love overachievers - Freddie, Stevie, Kyle, George Wilson, Ryan Bates, Jim Leonhard, Jon DiGiorgio, MATT MILANO etc. Overachievers are people that weren't supposed to be any good, but carved out a role for themselves based on determination and effort. Soemtimes that role is niche and in the case of Kyle and Milano they became elite stars. That's to be commended.

I rip underachievers - players like Edmunds that have all world ability and don't put in the work to reach their potential. There is nothing about Edmunds 6'5" 250lb 4.54 body that prevents him from laying a jarring hit on anyone. The reason he can't shed a block, intercept a pass, force a fumble or sack the quarterback isn't because he doesn't possess the physical attributes to do so, it's because he doesn't have the technique to do so. In my eyes that's either a lack of effort/practice or a lack of football IQ.

Regarding Beasley - again please try to hold off on the ballwashing. I never said he was a bad football player (though he was objectively bad in 2021). His first couple of years here the hype around him was far far overblown. He was a competent player with solid strengths and significant weaknesses. He was a valuable asset, but some in Bills fandom crowned him the best slot wr in the league. That statement was just as ridiculous then as a statement about Edmunds being top 10 now.

You do apparently, because this entire discussion is based off your statement he's a top 10 player. If you said we was a top 20 player, we aren't having this discussion.

I don't need to "deal" with Edmunds being good. I want nothing more than for it to be true.

I just don't see it happening. Finding a great MLB is tough, and it would be best if we had one on the roster. I watched him last week fail to wrap up Carter in the flat because he tried to tackle him around the shoulders and he bounced right off him. He's been int he NFL 5 years and he still has ***** tackling form. He still can't shed a block, but thankfully the massive improvement on the DL has prevented him from having to worry about it. He still can't catch a football.

There's a reason he's playing on his 5th year without a contract extension on  a team in win-now mode.

Edmunds has been to two pro bowls and likely will be voted in his third in 5 years but you act like he is bad. You like to promote that Beasley was average but his stats show he was undoubtedly one of the top 3 slot receivers from 2019-2021. I did not even mention that Josh requested Buffalo get him back, which is usually what is required by elite QBs an average WR. Please stop commenting on Edmunds since you clearly don't understand he and Milano allows our 5-2 defense, not to mention that he was the leading tackler on the #1 ranked defense last year. His abilities are so beyond your comprehension that you make it sound like football stopped in 1985 and LBs are primarily run stoppers now. 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

A rodeo clown?

Do you realize most of this interminable rant is inaccurate and foolish. The important thing to remember is that Edmunds will be paid the average of the top 3 highest contracts in football, because in reality NFL GMs value his length, speed, physicality and vastly improved instincts. He plays every snap, plays thru injury and calls the signals for a top 4 defense regardless of your misguided and hypercritical assessment. He leads the team in tackles and they are amongst the league leaders in yardage allowed and points.The defense is dependent on Edmunds and Milano making plays on backs and underneath receivers. Who, in your infinite wisdom would you replace him with? When Beane resigns him will you admit that you’re just a fan that can’t acknowledge a players incredible development. Do you think he would still be a leader on this highly rated defense if he was the player you’re describing? He’s a pro bowl lb and you’re an efficiency expert that can’t justify paying him. Thankfully you’re not making personnel decisions. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Do you realize most of this interminable rant is inaccurate and foolish. The important thing to remember is that Edmunds will be paid the average of the top 3 highest contracts in football, because in reality NFL GMs value his length, speed, physicality and vastly improved instincts. He plays every snap, plays thru injury and calls the signals for a top 4 defense regardless of your misguided and hypercritical assessment. He leads the team in tackles and they are amongst the league leaders in yardage allowed and points.The defense is dependent on Edmunds and Milano making plays on backs and underneath receivers. Who, in your infinite wisdom would you replace him with? When Beane resigns him will you admit that you’re just a fan that can’t acknowledge a players incredible development. Do you think he would still be a leader on this highly rated defense if he was the player you’re describing? He’s a pro bowl lb and you’re an efficiency expert that can’t justify paying him. Thankfully you’re not making personnel decisions. 

You just described Preston Brown. I see you're far too biased and set in your opinion to be reasoned with.

I'd replace him with Trenton Simpson who is an athletic freak just like Edmunds but a lot more dynamic. He can actually cover slot receivers, light up running backs and sack the quarterback.

Will you admit you were wrong about Edmunds if he doesnt?

Why does everyone who supports him say he's a leader? What has he done to show that he has any leadership qualities at all?

14 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

A rodeo clown?

This is all that needs to be said. Dawson Knox got paid before him for god’s sake lol

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is all that needs to be said. Dawson Knox got paid before him for god’s sake lol

Already wasted too much time and energy with someone who is reluctant to admit they are in the vast minority about Edmunds and won’t concede vast improvement.That’s right replace a pro bowl lb with a 3rd lb from the ACC and describe him with better skills. By the way. Knox was resigned for 35 million guaranteed, it will take more than double to retain Edmunds. That’s why it hasn’t been done yet, so close to Josh’s deal. Just keep rooting against the Bills because of your dug in contempt for Edmunds. What a sorry excuse for someone who trolls our board. I’m finished.

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Already wasted too much time and energy with someone who is reluctant to admit they are in the vast minority about Edmunds and won’t concede vast improvement.That’s right replace a pro bowl lb with a 3rd lb from the ACC and describe him with better skills. By the way. Knox was resigned for 35 million guaranteed, it will take more than double to retain Edmunds. That’s why it hasn’t been done yet, so close to Josh’s deal. Just keep rooting against the Bills because of your dug in contempt for Edmunds. What a sorry excuse for someone who trolls our board. I’m finished.

Edmunds is having his best year as a pro. There’s a reason he was allowed to play into his fifth year without getting locked in long-term. Both things can be true lol.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Edmunds is having his best year as a pro. There’s a reason he was allowed to play into his fifth year without getting locked in long-term. Both things can be true lol.

Sorry I accidentally responded to you when I was trying to finalize a back and forth with an extremely dug in Edmunds denier. He can’t acknowledge the improvement or the guy’s influence on our defense. It’s decision time and I think you’d agree, if we don’t pay him he’s gonna get it from teams that are lined up.

23 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

We’ve been through this bs already. GB game and Dillon drags Edmunds for 4 yds on a tackle. He’s made fun of during the game day thread. Not too long later Dillon does the exact same to Milano. Not a peep. Some of you make sure to catch an Edmunds mistake but never see one by Milano. Ok, got it. If Milano doesn’t drop a sure  pick 6 vs Miami earlier, we win that game. He’s dropped a few of those this year, but it’s fine. Don’t forget Milano gave up the game winning td to KC last year. It’s fine, cuz he’s not this year’s whipping boy. 

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 2

Tonight is exhibit A for why I don’t pay Tremaine $14M+/yr on his next contract. He may have played well tonight, but he just doesn’t move the needle for the defense in a way that commands top dollar. He’s not a defender that shifts the game, never has been. Allocate his money to the OL, protect the franchise at all costs.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Running back gets through the hole at the line its game over. There is no seconds line of defense verse the run with this middle linebacker. Calling him a middle linebacker doesn't even feel right. He's a safety playing middle linebacker. And even as a safety he's still soft as hell vs the run

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.