Is There So Little Love for Tremaine Edmunds?

Shaw66

I looked but didn't see a Tremaine Edmunds thread.  Well, one that was locked.

I was at the game and have had the benefit of no real discussion of the game.  All I knew at the game was that every time I looked, Edmunds was making another tackle.  Not always picture book, but he wasn't missing many.  And his tackles generally were near the line of scrimmage.   And he had a pass break up that nearly was intercepted. 

What is interesting about Edmunds this season is that he's making good stops in the run game, because he isn't being blocked.  The D line, I think, is making it tough for offensive linemen to get to the linebacker level, and Edmunds is able to read and react.  He's been a sure tackler, and his pas coverage last night also seemed solid.   Milano makes more spectacular plays, but I think Edmunds may have had more impact on the defense.

He's not Roquan Smith; he's not plugging gaps and making a bunch of tackles that way.   He really is protecting the whole field, laterally.  His job is make sure that the Bills bend but don't break.  

16 tackles is nothing to sneer at, even if it happened because the Packers featured the run.  Yes, the Packers had a lot of statistical success running the ball, but the Bills are willing to give them that success.   I know that sounds stupid, and McDermott would never say it, but let's face it:   This team is built to say the opponent, "We're going to put up 28 or more - we challenge you to match it."   Their defensive style very much is, "If you're going to move the ball, you're going to do it only with long, sustained drives.  If you can do that, you'll get some scores against us, but we don't think you can do that and get to 28."   And that is exactly what happened last night.   The way that kind of defensive philosophy succeeds is that you make a lot tackles (notice that the Bills often lose time of possession and often have fewer plays than the opponent, which means the Bills are making a lot tackles).  Last night, those tackles came to Edmunds.   

I don't know what I missed about his performance, and I'll be happy to hear what others thought.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I looked but didn't see a Tremaine Edmunds thread.  Well, one that was locked.

I was at the game and have had the benefit of no real discussion of the game.  All I knew at the game was that every time I looked, Edmunds was making another tackle.  Not always picture book, but he wasn't missing many.  And his tackles generally were near the line of scrimmage.   And he had a pass break up that nearly was intercepted. 

What is interesting about Edmunds this season is that he's making good stops in the run game, because he isn't being blocked.  The D line, I think, is making it tough for offensive linemen to get to the linebacker level, and Edmunds is able to read and react.  He's been a sure tackler, and his pas coverage last night also seemed solid.   Milano makes more spectacular plays, but I think Edmunds may have had more impact on the defense.

He's not Roquan Smith; he's not plugging gaps and making a bunch of tackles that way.   He really is protecting the whole field, laterally.  His job is make sure that the Bills bend but don't break.  

16 tackles is nothing to sneer at, even if it happened because the Packers featured the run.  Yes, the Packers had a lot of statistical success running the ball, but the Bills are willing to give them that success.   I know that sounds stupid, and McDermott would never say it, but let's face it:   This team is built to say the opponent, "We're going to put up 28 or more - we challenge you to match it."   Their defensive style very much is, "If you're going to move the ball, you're going to do it only with long, sustained drives.  If you can do that, you'll get some scores against us, but we don't think you can do that and get to 28."   And that is exactly what happened last night.   The way that kind of defensive philosophy succeeds is that you make a lot tackles (notice that the Bills often lose time of possession and often have fewer plays than the opponent, which means the Bills are making a lot tackles).  Last night, those tackles came to Edmunds.   

I don't know what I missed about his performance, and I'll be happy to hear what others thought.  

Edmunds was always making tackles...   6.7 yards downfield.

I'm not being anti-Edwards.  I probably appreciate him more than most Bills fans.  But it's hard to give props to any LB when our defense was gashed for over 200 yards rushing at nearly 7 yards a pop.  

But, yeah, this defense was built primarily to stop the pass (despite our gaudy rush d ranking pre-Packers).  We line up in a nickel defense 90% of the time and our LBs are better at pass d than run d.  

• Like (+1) 3

I’m at the point it won’t matter what he does round here. People literally just want him replaced for the sake of replacing him. First it was his play, now it’s too much money.. 

I don’t get too overly invested in it cause I’ll be fine with whatever the front office decides. I think he’s an above average player and if you can afford to sign him your team is better for it. If they need to invest somewhere else or simply just don’t have the space to work him in I’ll cheer for him somewhere else (outside the division) 

I think if you put him on Tampa, or Pittsburgh or teams that coach aggressive linebacker play he could make more game changing plays and get burned just as bad as devin white does. That’s not what he’s asked to do here, and his replacement will more than likely be the next man up on the chopping block. 

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Edmunds was always making tackles...   6.7 yards downfield.

I'm not being anti-Edwards.  I probably appreciate him more than most Bills fans.  But it's hard to give props to any LB when our defense was gashed for over 200 yards rushing at nearly 7 yards a pop.  

But, yeah, this defense was built primarily to stop the pass (despite our gaudy rush d ranking pre-Packers).  We line up in a nickel defense 90% of the time and our LBs are better at pass d than run d.  

But his job is to make those tackles.   That's my point.   It's not to make tackles for loss.   In fact, his presence is what allows Milano get TFLs.   

He's doing his job, and 16 tackles says he's not missing a lot.  

Plus he's being more physical, and he's covering a big zone in the pass defense.   

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4

He’s playing very well.  If he played like this the last 2 years, we’d have given him an extension already.  

I feel it’s 50-50 that he’s back.  After this season, his price tag will have gone up. Maybe too much to pay

• Agree 5

Great write up Shaw.

I think he doesn't get credit the same way Dion Dawkins doesn't get credit. 

He covers the middle of the field in the intermediate area so well which is

priceless in today's game. It's not on the view of the screen so by default

he's under appreciated. Thats my opinion. I think hes worth $14m a year just

because of his coverage skills. 

Also I feel like the Bills philosophy is between the 40's if "you" (the opposing

defense doesn't make a mistake and makes yards) "it's yours." You can see they

tend to rest Von miller and now even more Rousseau it seems when they are 

on that part of the field against non super teams. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Sometimes I wonder if I watch the same games as Tremaine Edmunds fans..

I saw a guy who was getting eat up by blocks, picking the wrong gaps all Game, and getting run over by Aj Dillon .

Sure he made 16 tackles, but how many were those 6-10’yards downfield?

Now I will say Edmunds has had a pretty good year to date.

But I don’t see how he had a good game yesterday as I thought he was borderline horrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I saw a guy who was getting eat up by blocks, picking the wrong gaps all Game, and getting run over by Aj Dillon .

But I don’t see how he had a good game yesterday as I thought he was borderline horrible.

So I asked this yesterday and wasn’t getting responses-this is not a pro Edmunds post, but you’re putting a lot of blame on Edmunds but made no mention of how terrible the defensive line played against the run. There were plays where Jones literally had multiple holes to choose from-how is Edmunds supposed to defend that? 

this wasn’t his best game, but to only blame him isn’t right

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Roquan Smith had a terrible day against pollard and Dallas. 
Devin white had a horrible game against Baltimore 

Bobby Wagner got gashed run and pass in San Fran. 
It happens. 
As mentioned earlier the D line didn’t exactly do their jobs either. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Thanks.  That's interesting and makes at least some sense.  I don't see it that way. 

I didn't see plays where we was getting eaten up or picking the wrong gaps, but I will readily acknowledge that that could have happened.  I didn't watch him every play.   

But as for the bolded part, that is exactly what the Bills ask him to do.  They want him to play pass defense and clean up the tackles where the defensive line doesn't make a stop.  They don't ask him to plug gaps, because if he's plugging gaps he can't play the pass coverage he does.  Guys who plug gaps have to respect the run fake, and that defeats their drops.  Bills do NOT want him plugging gaps.   They just want the MLB to make tackles downfield.  

I

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.