If Beane doesn't do anything before the trade deadline it's an epic fail

Adamb412

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

That time of year again.

Trade deadline threads are pretty normal around here as well as the sky is falling if we don't get player X.

Beane has done a great job finding quality starters and depth players, hard to predict the injury bug when drawing up rosters.

Yes, but the problem with the injury bug is it’s not a real thing.

In reality if you have one starting safety out for the year and the other dealing with multiple injuries, then your backup safeties are at increased risk to be injured due to increased playing time.

They’re just as likely to get injured as the first two safeties contrary to what many fans around here seem to believe. If that happens you’re stuck with practice squad-level players on the back end in the playoffs. 

If you had the knowledge of the starters’ injuries before the deadline and did nothing to bolster depth then it is by definition an epic fail 

3 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

With KC and Baltimore making moves, Beane needs to do something. There's glaring holes at safety depth and OL depth and even WR in some respect. I'm not hard up on RB like the media is, but if he doesn't at least get a safety with poyer being held together by Elmer's glue and gum and I love him but the dude getting hurt every week

Previous two years I did not agree on Beane doing nothing at the deadline and we lost both years to KC.  This season I again plead to either add a speed/power RB or perhaps depth at the safety position.  This is not even about if I like Singletary,  you need quality depth and Moss should not even be on this team. Cook is not ready and needs to get stronger before you can really count on him as a runner between the tackles.  I third or 4th rounder gets it done. Same people saying were fine were saying the same thing two previous years and then cried after losing to KC.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Previous two years I did not agree on Beane doing nothing at the deadline and we lost both years to KC.  This season I again plead to either add a speed/power RB or perhaps depth at the safety position.  This is not even about if I like Singletary,  you need quality depth and Moss should not even be on this team. Cook is not ready and needs to get stronger before you can really count on him as a runner between the tackles.  I third or 4th rounder gets it done. Same people saying were fine were saying the same thing two previous years and then cried after losing to KC.  

I’d be totally fine with hunt - especially liking that he gets to ease into the rotation. Good out of the shotgun, and good in the passing game. Can be 3rd on the depth chart for a couple weeks and see where it takes us long term. Singletary rolls an ankle in a month and we aren’t debating moss vs rushing him back at 75%.

even as a 3 month rental- if we let him walk we get a comp pick a year later. Literally worst case is he’s underutilized and costs us trading a 2023 4th for a 2024 4th to have the insurance. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

RB IMO is one Beane's trade targets.  At the very least, we could use a short yardage back.

As much as many discount RBs,  Look what Saquan does for the GMen.  The Jets whole offense was Bryce.  San Fran is instant NFC contender with Christian.  Tennessee goes as DHenry goes

I love Motor, and I think Cook will be a great player for us.  But last night our running game was great, until we needed to be able to run.

A RB won't cost a 1st most likely.  Teams at this point of season know whether to sell now, and build for next year- or make a playoff run.  IMO many teams are sellers.

Now is the time to fine tune our roster for our Super Bowl quest

RB, S, OL - 3 positions Beane is considering adding IMO

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Yes, but the problem with the injury bug is it’s not a real thing.

In reality if you have one starting safety out for the year and the other dealing with multiple injuries, then your backup safeties are at increased risk to be injured due to increased playing time.

They’re just as likely to get injured as the first two safeties contrary to what many fans around here seem to believe. If that happens you’re stuck with practice squad-level players on the back end in the playoffs. 

If you had the knowledge of the starters’ injuries before the deadline and did nothing to bolster depth then it is by definition an epic fail 

Assuming there are replacements out there that are better than those you have in house, AND that they are worth the asking price.

Beane has built a pretty decent team, knee-jerk reactions are not part of that equation.

I can't associate the job he has done building this roster and this organization that franchises across the NFL now hold up as the gold standard, with the words "epic fail" because why?

Because he does not pull the trigger on a trade he does not like?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

RB IMO is one Beane's trade targets.  At the very least, we could use a short yardage back.

As much as many discount RBs,  Look what Saquan does for the GMen.  The Jets whole offense was Bryce.  San Fran is instant NFC contender with Christian.  Tennessee goes as DHenry goes

I love Motor, and I think Cook will be a great player for us.  But last night our running game was great, until we needed to be able to run.

A RB won't cost a 1st most likely.  Teams at this point of season know whether to sell now, and build for next year- or make a playoff run.  IMO many teams are sellers.

When exactly did we need to be able to run last night?

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

You're assuming that a RB and/or safety better than we currently have are available at a reasonable price.   There may not be.  :doh:

A very good RB for Moss and draft pick(either round 3, 4, or 5- depending on whom)

That clears a roster spot for us, and fills trade partners backfield

No brainer to me to make that deal

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

When exactly did we need to be able to run last night?

we had 3 points in the second half.  Josh was very off in second half, and we let Green Bay back in the game.  Green Bay dominated time of possession.

A good running game would of iced the game for us in the third quarter

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

A very good RB for Moss and draft pick(either round 3, 4, or 5- depending on whom)

That clears a roster spot for us, and fills trade partners backfield

No brainer to me to make that deal

we had 3 points in the second half.  Josh was very off in second half, and we let Green Bay back in the game.  Green Bay dominated time of possession.

A good running game would of iced the game for us in the third quarter

Green Bay was back in the game?

5 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

With KC and Baltimore making moves, Beane needs to do something. There's glaring holes at safety depth and OL depth and even WR in some respect. I'm not hard up on RB like the media is, but if he doesn't at least get a safety with poyer being held together by Elmer's glue and gum and I love him but the dude getting hurt every week

If they don't win the super bowl it will obviously be something that is discussed. 

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Just because the Bills arent using Cook much does not mean he is not ready.  Cook has produced on just about every opportunity he has had outside of the fumble on his first carry.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Just because the Bills arent using Cook much does not mean he is not ready.  Cook has produced on just about every opportunity he has had outside of the fumble on his first carry.

I don't know if I'd go that far. He looked slow and unsure early in the season. I agree he could end up still being a bigger contributor this season though.

But that's going to be part of Beane and McD's judgement. If from what they've seen, they feel like Cook can become that back we need this season then it's fine if we don't pick one up. If they don't, I do think it's kind of necessary to add someone. Moss is terrible and we haven't really seen Cook be able to run the ball effectively. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Short yardage back?  What is this 1987?  Oh, it is?  Then let me know when we get Cornelius Bennett. 35 years ago today. 

Running backs at the trade deadline are almost like talking about Fred Flinstone's work brontosaurus.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.