When does Benford transition to Safety?

Flipnmi

29 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Rookie and inexperienced DB’s being pushed into prominent playing is scary, not good stuff. 🎃

The Vikings and Lions are the only passing teams for the secondary to be pressured in the next 6 games.

With some luck the Safeties can gain some good experience.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

I assume you mean Outside Boundary CBs so would ask who are the 4?  I have Tre, Dane, Kair and Benford.  if Benford moves to S, who is the 4th Boundary CB?

I was counting Benford in the 4 starting caliber CB's. That's a great luxury to have, but when you are depleted at Safety, it may be better to spread out the talent between the 2 positions. Micah started as a CB before moving to Safety. A couple years ago Micah was considered as a backup CB when that position had a bunch of injuries, so there's no reason Benford wouldn't still be available for both roles. 

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Unrealistic to expect a rookie to learn a second position in the middle of his rookie season and make any kind of contribution. 

It's also unrealistic to expect a 6th round draft pick to come to camp and beat out your 1st round pick and then hold his own as a starter. I never suggested that Benford should be a starting Safety, but we are getting pretty thin there and I don't feel better with Cam Lewis as the next man up!

27 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

It's also unrealistic to expect a 6th round draft pick to come to camp and beat out your 1st round pick and then hold his own as a starter. I never suggested that Benford should be a starting Safety, but we are getting pretty thin there and I don't feel better with Cam Lewis as the next man up!

I gave a pretty reasonable response to your question. Your response shows you didn't deserve it. 

39 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I gave a pretty reasonable response to your question. Your response shows you didn't deserve it. 

I'm sorry you misunderstood the intent of my response. I was just saying that as a 6th round pick, Benford has greatly exceeded all expectations. While I agree it would be a lot for a rookie to take on, he's proven to be up for whatever has been asked of him to this point.  When Tre is back, if he's no longer a starter at CB, I don't see any reason to not give him some cross-training to see how he picks it up.  At 6-1, 205 he is bigger than any Safety on the roster, but only time will tell if the coaches agree.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Flipnmi said:

Both scenarios are unlikely.

His scenario is much much more unlikely than yours. Even more so with a rookie.

I think it's Madden that gets people thinking like this, switching guys like they're checkers that are all fungible. They're not. 

Suggesting we move guys like Tre and Taron, among the absolute best in the league at their positions, barring three or four injuries in one game forcing something unhinged, just doesn't make much sense.

How often do these positions switches happen? Guys like Aaron Williams, Troy Vincent and George Wilson are out there, but it's pretty rare. How many of them were successful in their first position? The one exception there was Vincent and he was growing too old to play his first position and was a grizzled veteran with a ton of DB knowhow.

Now how often does it happen in-season? Can't think of a one. There's a reason for that. Outside of crazy one-game responses to multiple injuries, this isn't a situation NFL coaches want to deal with.

You're absolutely right it'll be heavy on their minds going into next season, though.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Never.

Neal and Lewis will play there first.

I am not sure its a bad idea, Neal as athletic and fast as he is has never impressed me in coverage, seems to get beat like a drum to me whenever he's on the field. Seems good against the run though.

When someone plays as well at a premium position as Benford has at corner this season — especially considering he’s a rookie — why would you move him to a less premium position?

Not only that, but asking a first year player from Villanova to learn a completely different NFL position 8 games into his rookie season seems to be asking an awful lot.

I’d much rather see them trade for a Dean Marlowe type and leave Benford right where he is. You can never have enough good corners in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.