When does Benford transition to Safety?

Flipnmi

I remember seeing somewhere (Cover 1 or another Bills podcast site) that Benford’s RAS score was on point for filling a Safety position. So whereas Benford as a CB is a high floor average ceiling his #s translate to All-Pro level safety. I say the sooner we can get him reps the better.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Neal makes a lot of sense to me.  Fast and strong.  I wonder if he just hasn't shown well when given safety reps in practice over the years, or if it's just that the Bills are pretty strict about keeping him as the backup slot guy.

Maybe it's the penalties he has taken that has limited his playing time outside of special teams. Neal I fear is not someone we want to become a regular DB...

I dunno. I was wondering if safety might be a good spot for Tre right now like the Steelers did with Rod Woodson post ACL. Not forever, but for right now. Less change of direction at safety and he can certainly play a heckuva free safety. Helps him get back into it, protects his knee a little, puts all of our best players on the field. Gives us all sorts of crazy coverage disguise options too.

On 10/31/2022 at 2:02 PM, cwater10 said:

My concern with resigning Poyer despite his high level of performance WHEN available is that his limited availability this year may be a harbinger of the things to come, the things that come with NFL players of advancing age.  At an age when most players bodies begin to betray them, this is Poyer's 4th or 5th separate injury this year.  Is this just what life with a aging Poyer will look like going forward?  Will Beane pay big bucks for more years of that?  Be it Benford, a trade or a draft choice, I suspect Beane will be diligent in pursuit of an answer with that in mind.  

Agreeed and Micah ain’t no young buck either. I see us going safety heavy next offseason. 

They very well may let Dane Jackson walk in 2024 or who knows? Maybe someone signs him to an offer sheet in 2023 and we don’t match? He is a RFA after all.

If Benford does go to safety, I very well would expect that to be because Micah Hyde is done in Buffalo.

Then naturally there are those people who assume that Buffalo may go safety in RD1, who knows?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.