When does Benford transition to Safety?

Flipnmi

With Tre about to be back, our depth at CB should be amongst the best in the league. In May, Beane talked about Benford having college experience at CB & Safety.  “We’ve talked about both,” said Bills general manager Brandon Beane, referring to cornerback and safety. “I think we’ll start him out as a corner here and see how he does. He did play a little bit of both. It’s easier to move him back (to Safety).” 

With 4 starting caliber CB's on the roster, I had been thinking that moving Benford to Safety in 2023 was likely, especially if Poyer can't be resigned. Now with his injury and Micah already out, this may need to be moved up. I had not heard any reports of him working in the back in pre-season, but wouldn't be surprised if this has been happening a little in the closed portion of practice.

If Tre gets back to form quickly, he and Dane are solid starters with Elam a very capable back up for both. The way we utilize our Safeties is pretty complex, but despite being a rookie, it seems Benford is just too talented to keep off the field.

Hopefully, Poyer's elbow injury is not serious but if it is, I suspect he goes to IR for 4 weeks to open a roster spot for Tre and we start seeing Benford getting some reps at Safety. 

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I think Poyer has found way more worth this season and really puts the Bills in a rough spot. Hamlin seems only serviceable when he plays with Poyer next to him and strong play literally everywhere else. I have been really underwhelmed with safety play when Hamlin and Johnson are playing together. The Bills have to re-sign Poyer or really hit on the safety position in the draft.

The Bills could be vulnerable at both safety positions next year with Hyde coming off season ending injury. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mango said:

I think Poyer has found way more worth this season and really puts the Bills in a rough spot. Hamlin seems only serviceable when he plays with Poyer next to him and strong play literally everywhere else. I have been really underwhelmed with safety play when Hamlin and Johnson are playing together. The Bills have to re-sign Poyer or really hit on the safety position in the draft.

The Bills could be vulnerable at both safety positions next year with Hyde coming off season ending injury. 

They could be vulnerable the rest of this year if Poyer is out. Next year they should be fine having at least Hyde back there. Having one of them is a necessary, but having both now seems more like a luxury. I don't think Poyer is on the team next year, which sucks, bit I get why.

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

They could be vulnerable the rest of this year if Poyer is out. Next year they should be fine having at least Hyde back there. Having one of them is a necessary, but having both now seems more like a luxury. I don't think Poyer is on the team next year, which sucks, bit I get why.

Hyde may be fine next year and be back in form. But he also might night. It is a risk to assume he comes back the same player and a rookie/Johnson is up to the task. 

We are certainly spoiled at the moment. 

29 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

With Tre about to be back, our depth at CB should be amongst the best in the league. In May, Beane talked about Benford having college experience at CB & Safety.  “We’ve talked about both,” said Bills general manager Brandon Beane, referring to cornerback and safety. “I think we’ll start him out as a corner here and see how he does. He did play a little bit of both. It’s easier to move him back (to Safety).” 

With 4 starting caliber CB's on the roster, I had been thinking that moving Benford to Safety in 2023 was likely, especially if Poyer can't be resigned. Now with his injury and Micah already out, this may need to be moved up. I had not heard any reports of him working in the back in pre-season, but wouldn't be surprised if this has been happening a little in the closed portion of practice.

If Tre gets back to form quickly, he and Dane are solid starters with Elam a very capable back up for both. The way we utilize our Safeties is pretty complex, but despite being a rookie, it seems Benford is just too talented to keep off the field.

Hopefully, Poyer's elbow injury is not serious but if it is, I suspect he goes to IR for 4 weeks to open a roster spot for Tre and we start seeing Benford getting some reps at Safety. 

Thoughts?

Starts Tomorrow at practice, once people realize the Bills are not trading for a Safety

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Am I alone in thinking Taron Johnson would be an outstanding safety? 

He's a great tackler with great instincts, but we need him at nickel. I think Benford or Neal could make the move to safety if Tre comes back and Poyer is out for an extended period.

• Like (+1) 3

My concern with resigning Poyer despite his high level of performance WHEN available is that his limited availability this year may be a harbinger of the things to come, the things that come with NFL players of advancing age.  At an age when most players bodies begin to betray them, this is Poyer's 4th or 5th separate injury this year.  Is this just what life with a aging Poyer will look like going forward?  Will Beane pay big bucks for more years of that?  Be it Benford, a trade or a draft choice, I suspect Beane will be diligent in pursuit of an answer with that in mind.  

Edited by cwater10
  • Like (+1) 2

I've been actually wondering since a few wks back when Tre initially came off the IR if they would consider moving Tre back to safety, paired with Poyer (who was "healthy" at the time). This would give him ability to move around the field more "freely", vs CB where there's a lot of cutting/unknown movements. I know they were testing it White's rookie season, but obviously kept him at CB.

Wonder what they'll do back there and with Tre but it's interesting to consider.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.