Coordinators not adapting schemes

Back2Buff

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Considering they weren't even really trying to pass, saying the Bills were really good in Nickel is a stretch

The circular logic here is just remarkable.  

Please tell us, why weren't they trying to pass?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

Considering they weren't even really trying to pass, saying the Bills were really good in Nickel is a stretch.  And the times they did, they burned the nickel. So, it's probably not as great as you're saying it is. 

Obviously you are just being ignorant now. The Bills are good in Nickel, that isn't arguable. It's their base defense, the Bills are a good defense. Both facts. Therefore they are good in the Nickel.

They weren't trying to pass because the Nickel makes it hard to do it. They were able to beat it 2 times for a TD because they still have a HOF Qb playing for them.

This hill you want to die on is just nuts.

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Are you just being willfully ignorant now? 

I'm saying that playing with 5 DBs absolutely stopped them to get back into the game.  It severely limited the big plays of the Packers.  It didn't completely stop it, because they still have a HOF MVP caliber QB, but it limited it to the point where the Bills won by 10 points and had a lead the entire game.

Show me where the run game was more dangerous than Rodgers.  

Umm, maybe the fact that the running game had over 200 yds and had a 6.7 ypc avg, while Rodgers has a weak receiving corp to work with?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Umm, maybe the fact that the running game had over 200 yds and had a 6.7 ypc avg, while Rodgers has a weak receiving corp to work with?

How many points did the run game account for?  How many times did the run game fail to convert on 4th down?

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

The circular logic here is just remarkable.  

Please tell us, why weren't they trying to pass?

Because they have no faith in their WRs?  Do you live under a rock?  Have you not seen Rodgers public displeasure with their offense?

Do you not know this is Rodgers worst statistical season by a mile? 

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

How many points did the run game account for?  How many times did the run game fail to convert on 4th down?

So you're a huge fan of the prevent defense as long as they don't give up points.  Gotcha.

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Because they have no faith in their WRs?  Do you live under a rock?  Have you not seen Rodgers public displeasure with their offense?

Do you not know this is Rodgers worst statistical season by a mile? 

Again, this isn't the point that seem to believe it is. 

Their WRs are the only players that actualized points last night.  Bad WRs still need to be covered.  They have an excellent QB with subpar weapons.  Subpar weapons or not, a WR making a big play is much more dangerous than wasting 30 seconds to run the ball 7 yards. Laughable to suggest otherwise. 

When the other team has a QB that can rocket the ball anywhere on the field, you need to respect that. 

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So you're a huge fan of the prevent defense as long as they don't give up points.  Gotcha.

Yes. I'm a fan of defenses not letting the other team score.

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

This was our issue for years now, but the Bills just roll out the same formations no matter the opponent and it continues to make no sense.

I have no idea why the Bills went nickel pretty much the entire game yesterday.  If you can't stop those WR without a third CB on field, you have bigger issues with your secondary that will get you no where fast.

When the other team is missing two LBs and you are up 17 points, you go big and you run the ball down their throats.  You don't try to run it out of shotgun with 3 WRs on field.

It's so frustrating to feel like we are a dumb football team because we don't adapt to the situation at hand.  It's like we are too stubborn or something.

This is why many national reporter say the Bills rely on Allen too much, because they do.  They are 100% right.  Singletary and Cook were running fine with the right personnel in the game, yet Dorsey got so cocky.

Huh?  So being regarded as the top team in the NFL, with the best defense and offense in the NFL means our coordinators are doing something wrong?  

We are not a power running team.  Why do fans want us so badly to take the ball out of the hands of our best player and force us to be a completely different offense than we are?  

I agree, they need to be more consistent with using Devin, but we were not getting the same results running the in the second half either.  The WHOLE offense was just out of sync and the Packers D was stepping up and made good adjustments.  

We win by 10 still.  But here we are with all kinds of panic or upset threads after yet another win.  

It’s like Bills fans expect absolute perfection all 60 minutes of every game and anything other than that is doom and gloom.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think Frazier and McDermott were happy to allow the GB offense to run the game clock out 6 yards at a time.  The bigger nit to pick is with Dorsey.  I know Singletary had a couple of runs in the second that put us behind the sticks, but it still seemed that we were having Josh drop back far more often than was needed.

6 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think Leslie Frazier knows how to put 8 guys in the box.  Packers were slowly drinking poison with their offensive play calling and he was letting them.

Exactly. Why the **** are people not understanding this ?

Any fan w/ half a brain could see the Bills were in absolute control of this game. 

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The Packers were trying to get the Bills defense out of nickel, so they could take shots downfield.  But Leslie Frazier wouldn't take the bait.

Green Bay's first two drives of the second half ended up taking over 11 minutes, and led to a whopping 3 points.  Let other teams worry about yardage stats and defensive rankings.  Our opponent basically ran the clock out on themselves.

I have a much bigger issue with Ken Dorsey last night, as opposed to Leslie Frazier.

While our defense seemed more concerned with walking out with a W, I got the impression our offense was trying harder to get fantasy stats and help Josh Allen's MVP bid.  

This was a perfect game to really get the run-game rolling.  Especially late in the second half.  We should have been handing the ball to Singletary and Cook.  But we started getting too cute trying to run up the score, and ended up getting horribly sloppy.  Allen should have been able to run for the 1st down on one of his INTs.  The second was clearly him trying to force the ball into the endzone so he could get a third TD.

Pretty much exactly how I saw the game too.

The running game GB stuck with was exactly to get the Bills out of nickel.  I had no problem with what Frazier did.

I even mentioned it in the GDT that it was a perfect scenario for a Bills win.

As you mentioned, I did have a problem with Dorsey.  I keep thinking he is going to meld in some other scheme styles and so far, he hasn't.

I'm definitely not one of these fans worried and concerned all the time but his lack of expansion of the offensive schemes is disheartening.

He had a perfect game to get some live gameday action with the running aspect of the OL and Motor and Cook.

He did have 1 pitch to Cook that worked well, again.  Then we didn't see it anymore.  Cook lined up at WR for the big catch worked great.

Heck, even Collingsworth mentioned it.  Didn't see it again.  I watched a number of plays that Knox was open, but he was down the list

of read options from the play called.  Devin should have had a few more runs and when Cook was starting to warm up and then

turned off actually made me angry.

Josh could have run of his INTs and I do think they told him at halftime to reduce his running and it seemed to throw him off.

He was off a lot last night.  Sprinkling in some new twists might have focused his mind better.

I'm not "hating" on Dorsey, just getting a little impatient for something other than what we have seen.  I'm hopeful to see it against the Jets.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Pretty much exactly how I saw the game too.

The running game GB stuck with was exactly to get the Bills out of nickel.  I had no problem with what Frazier did.

I even mentioned it in the GDT that it was a perfect scenario for a Bills win.

After the game, Von Miller pretty much admitted the Bills were letting the Packer run.  And just watching the game clock disappear.

It was like watching the Packers play chicken with a semi-truck, and were just too stubborn to switch and throw the ball.

As you mentioned, I did have a problem with Dorsey.  I keep thinking he is going to meld in some other scheme styles and so far, he hasn't.

I'm definitely not one of these fans worried and concerned all the time but his lack of expansion of the offensive schemes is disheartening.

He had a perfect game to get some live gameday action with the running aspect of the OL and Motor and Cook.

He did have 1 pitch to Cook that worked well, again.  Then we didn't see it anymore.  Cook lined up at WR for the big catch worked great.

Heck, even Collingsworth mentioned it.  Didn't see it again.  I watched a number of plays that Knox was open, but he was down the list

of read options from the play called.  Devin should have had a few more runs and when Cook was starting to warm up and then

turned off actually made me angry.

My hope is that Dorsey is just sticking with what is working (until it doesn't), and is saving everything else for bigger moments later in the season.

I guess we will find out as the season continues.

Josh could have run of his INTs and I do think they told him at halftime to reduce his running and it seemed to throw him off.

He was off a lot last night.  Sprinkling in some new twists might have focused his mind better.

I'm not "hating" on Dorsey, just getting a little impatient for something other than what we have seen.  I'm hopeful to see it against the Jets.

I definitely think the coaches are getting on him about running, especially late in games they have already wrapped up.

There were a lot of people complaining about that during the Titans game especially.

On that first INT though, I think he could have gotten to the marker and slid without even taking a hit.

Watching the game, I really felt like Josh Allen was forcing the ball trying to bulk up his stats.  But after the game, I think it was more due to the trash-talk going on with the Packers players.  The Bills were trying to embarrass them with a blowout, and lost their composure.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

My hope is that Dorsey is just sticking with what is working (until it doesn't), and is saving everything else for bigger moments later in the season.

I guess we will find out as the season continues.

I have thought of that but if true I'm not a fan of it.

I'd much rather Dorsey gets some of this going in the middle games and once they get it down and then shelf some of it for later.

Then again maybe they have confidence they can turn on these other schemes at will.

My theory was Dorsey kept to the heavy WR pass game (with some RB screens and flares) until they got through the early tough games.

GB turned out to be not so tough so I was hoping they would have started yesterday.

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Exactly. Why the **** are people not understanding this ?

Any fan w/ half a brain could see the Bills were in absolute control of this game. 

That was not the issue, it was Edmunds NOT being in position to actually tackle a RB and when he attempted to let the RB go another 5-7 yards after contact. The offense was awful the 2nd half, putrid. That was the worst offensive showing for the year including pre-season. The nickel was a great scheme but only if the LB's make the plays, like they are supposed to. Hamlin was great and Taron tackled better then Edmunds. Winning the game does not excuse poor play or poor effort from certain players.

Edited by Flucod

I think some are failing to recognize a difference between scheme and personnel.  Yes, we are almost always in nickel personnel but the scheme has actually been very fluid this year.  In particular, that KC game was amazing.  They threw all kinds of defensive schemes at Mahomes including that crazy man/zone hybrid that accounted for the interception at that the end.  In some of the analysis I've seen they've talked about how Fraser is tailoring schemes to each opponent.  Now, you may disagree with the scheme they came up with but clearly their thinking was that Rodgers is a 2 time MVP and if they were going to lose it was because he recaptured his old glory.  They completely shut Rodgers down until garbage time.  Again, maybe they were wrong about that and it's the reason we lost, but it seems like a reasonable plan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.