Are Bills fans expectations too high????

Billsfan1972

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I swear when/if the day comes and the Bills finally win the big one half the threads start the next day will be "Yea, we won the Super Bowl....but..." and the other half will be telling us how terrible a select few of the players played in the game. It's football, take the win any way they come. On to the Jets.

If only Jerry Sullivan clones were JEST fans.

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I swear when/if the day comes and the Bills finally win the big one half the threads start the next day will be "Yea, we won the Super Bowl....but..." and the other half will be telling us how terrible a select few of the players played in the game. It's football, take the win any way they come. On to the Jets.

The only overreaction to last night I see is people reacting like this to others saying “I’d like to clean some of the sloppiness up” 

• Agree 2

The only thing I was pissed about was I took the Bills in my office pool giving 10.5. So, 27-17 made me a loser but the Bills got another win and that is all that matters. Definitely have to clean some things up and I am sure McDermott, and the coaches will do that this week in practice.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

So the coaches are the “doomerism” types then? 

because their press conferences were less than glowing about this game. 

You don’t say. Coaches using some bad execution as something to chew on. Yeah that never happens. 

still doesn’t matter. 6-1 

I think some fans expect the opposition to just lay down and take a beating. When they don't, it's because the Bills are bad, or the coaches are bad, or Edmunds is bad, or play calling is bad, etc.

You know? It's still the NFL. Other teams are going to score points on us. Other teams are going to adjust and get some stops against our offense. Other teams are going beat us sometimes. It's OK. That's just how the NFL is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

We can't dominate every single team, every single week.  

Yup. This isn't college where Georgia plays some cupcake and beats them 63-0. Even with the poor 2nd half the Bills were up by 3 scores for a good portion of the night.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Yup. This isn't college where Georgia plays some cupcake and beats them 63-0. Even with the poor 2nd half the Bills were up by 3 scores for a good portion of the night.

I used to think with all the complaining during the drought years, once we start winning, fans will complain less but that isn't the case.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I used to think with all the complaining during the drought years, once we start winning, fans will complain less but that isn't the case.

I know GB is struggling but they still have Rodgers and a decent D. The spread was 10.5 and the Bills won by 10. The game went exactly the way Vegas thought it would. We got win #6 in the books. Wasn't the prettiest win but who cares. We (fans) can enjoy this for a week until they kick it off at MetLife.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes it is a Super Bowl Victory or bust year, but coming out of yesterday's game (particularly the second half) and you wonder whether we as fans have set the bar too high.

Count me in the camp which is any way is okay.  Sure I would like to see Buffalo v New England's perfect game every game, but I know what separates teams in the NFL is a small margin, week to week.   In December, no one will be talking about Buffalo v Green Bay other than GB lost and Buffalo beat the future first ballot Hall of Famer.  They won't be talking about how, just that GB found a way in the loss to resurrect their season.  My reaction last night was pheww..  But I do think GB found away to man up, much like Buffalo did in Tampa Bay last season.  I fully expect GB to go on a little run now.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Wake up call to what? It is the NFL. They are going to have plays, drives, quarters, halves, even games, when they don't play to the level of which they are capable - offensively and defensively. Every team does. Why does it have to be interpreted as anything other than what it was?

didn't you get the memo?  We want perfection or bust every week. The bust in this case is the overreaction (By only a few) posters that want/expect no mistakes or human error to happen EVER.  In That sense YES I think some fans expectations are too high.

But as far as the season including a playoffs run and Super Bowl win is concerned. Those expectations imo are logical in view of the team we do have,  Heaven forbid if the Bills had actually lost last nights game as opposed to having won it. However ugly ONE game ends up being I KNOW the Bills will work on cleaning those areas up. You know Josh will. The Run defense too  I'm sure the brethren here will have astute ideas on HOW to accomplish that. The glass half full scenario is OH THE PASS RUSH Though. That was impressive to me defensively

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Amazing how this board is with the doom and gloom threads/posts after a WIN. I say send them all back to the drought days and let them remain there with all the doom and gloomers. leaving those of us in the here and now that can appreciate a WIN, rather then whine about how the WIN turned out and accepting that teams have a sloppy game (and yet still WIN) throughout a season.

Constructive criticism is fine, they deserve it after the sloppy 2nd half, but accept it as a bad game and move on, rather then questioning expectations.

6-1 (presently the best record in the afc)

On to new jersey...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2

the bills had a lousy second half.  i certainly don't expect them to be perfect every quarter or every game.  for now for me, it's a non-issue.  if it seem to carry over into the next game, then there may be something worth discussing.  the season is long and there's highs and lows.  this team just needs to be clicking as they go into the playoffs, and it's a bit early for the worry.  well...it's a bit early for the worry for most.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes it is a Super Bowl Victory or bust year, but coming out of yesterday's game (particularly the second half) and you wonder whether we as fans have set the bar too high.

The first half was vintage Buffalo (after the first three & out) and well on the way to 40+ points.

Then came the second half & wonder if it was hubris, taking one's foot off the gas or just bad play and they looked shall we say "normal". 

The Bills were gashed on the run and the offense looked lost.  Allen was underwhelming, missed some throws, others were bad and made mental errors (and a few drops).

And the result was a 10 point victory. 

Yes I'm very conflicted.  Sure I expect them to be angry vs. NYJ, but was yesterday's second half an anomaly, a wake-up call or a portend of things to come.   

It felt like the Rams game to me. 

Bills left points on the field. 

And again, poor execution around the Red Zone on the Allen interception. 

I think we've seen in games where Gabe Davis and the go route aren't used, this team misses it's high gear. He's not an underneath WR. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Agree 1

Very chippy game.  Going in I was worried about the potential trap aspect.  Rogers had the team fired up. 

Diggs did himself and the team no favors walking out with GB and getting into it with Alexandaire.  Not the way to go into this. 

As Marv preached.  Don't be dumb, don't be dirty.  They were a little of both but still won.  Am I worried?  Nope.  Teaching moment.  As I said - VERY chippy game.  Hard and stoopid hits on BOTH sides.  Amazed more people were not injured.

Honestly the ONLY thing that worried me is Poyer not finishing the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.