Cook and Shakir…our 2nd and 5th picks

Aussie Joe

First… let me say that the team is 6-1 and things are going well…

Now that I have had some time to tim settle after the game tonight   … the Bills  weren’t at their best today … but it was a relatively relaxed win all things considered… against a team that is on the decline but will still be in the hunt until Week 17…

However… I would have liked to have seen a little more from our offensive draft  picks this offseason… unfortunately it seems the closeness of the game may have prevented this…they both seem to have some talent and I think we need to see a bit more of them…

Are they being kept in reserve for the playoffs as they mature over the season? 

• Like (+1) 1

I have wondered if there’s quite a bit more to the playbook. The lack of plays for Knox, cook, shakir and even McKenzie (calm down I know he’s in the message board dog house) make me think they’re still kinda basic on a lot of playcalls. If they can’t stop Diggs and Davis why put out the tape on others? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Process said:

You can't expect 5th round picks to be big contributors in their rookie year.

WR was one of our biggest needs last off-season and they failed to address it, so here we are.

I don’t put preconceived limitations on players based on what round they get drafted …

Shakir looks good… give him some more opportunities….

Edited by Aussie Joe

41 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t put preconceived limitations on players based on what round they get drafted …

Shakir looks good… give him some more opportunities….

But you also only see 1/7th of his play and don't know any of the details like play calls, scheme, assignments or anything in that 1/7th you see.

Just face it. The coaching staff knows way more than you do about these players, what they can and can't handle, how they fit in the scheme, what their assignments are, how they perform in practice, etc.

Davis rocked out his rookie year and got immediate opportunities because of how he impressed the coaches. They are willing to give players more opportunities when they show they have earned them.

Cook is clearly being given more opportunities. If you remember, Shakir had a bad game against KC in the limited opportunities he was given. He still needs to earn it. Those opportunities will come.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

But you also only see 1/7th of his play and don't know any of the details like play calls, scheme, assignments or anything in that 1/7th you see.

Just face it. The coaching staff knows way more than you do about these players, what they can and can't handle, how they fit in the scheme, what their assignments are, how they perform in practice, etc.

Davis rocked out his rookie year and got immediate opportunities because of how he impressed the coaches. They are willing to give players more opportunities when they show they have earned them.

Cook is clearly being given more opportunities. If you remember, Shakir had a bad game against KC in the limited opportunities he was given. He still needs to earn it. Those opportunities will come.

Reasonable points..

Lil Dirty had a bad game against KC too… He seems to be on a longer leash…

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Reasonable points..

Lil Dirty had a bad game against KC too… He seems to be on a longer leash…

Yes, it does seem that rookies have a very short leash on this team. On the offensive side of the ball, at least.

Just now, MJS said:

Yes, it does seem that rookies have a very short leash on this team. On the offensive side of the ball, at least.

Every case should be treated on its own merits rather than there being a bias against a player ( agree it’ seems offense related only)  because he is a rookie …

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

First… let me say that the team is 6-1 and things are going well…

Now that I have had some time to tim settle after the game tonight   … the Bills  weren’t at their best today … but it was a relatively relaxed win all things considered… against a team that is on the decline but will still be in the hunt until Week 17…

However… I would have liked to have seen a little more from our offensive draft  picks this offseason… unfortunately it seems the closeness of the game may have prevented this…they both seem to have some talent and I think we need to see a bit more of them…

Are they being kept in reserve for the playoffs as they mature over the season? 

Especially Shakir needs to be seen. McKenzie has shown on a few occasions to be a liability, and they still haven't replaced Allen's go-to 3rd down "fall down in the zone & be a target" possession guy. Maybe Shakir isn't that guy, but neither is McKenzie, and aside from discerning/abating the situation with Poyer, it might be the one thing they really need to dig into in a trade. Not easy to find a guy like that, but I suspect that's a big reason Allen was struggling in the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

It seems the team that stop us force us into max protect as possible removing the targets 3-5. Expect it every game. 

You get tape on a team, you can see during various plays where the progression lies & coach/scheme to defend well for the first 2-3 seconds of a play. I also believe that McDermott is a preacher of not complicating the gameplan for a perceived weaker opponent...so a lot of what the Bills may have done last night was predictable, especially as it got to 3 scores. I also thought the entire team started to play a little greedy, including Allen. It's not easy to remain in a focused mindset in terms of route running & following your progression reads when you feel the game is yours and you have kinda played streetball in earlier blowouts.

Edited by pocoboy

Cook set a personal best for yards in a game last night. Showed some explosion and promise. He's clearly leapfrogged Moss (who did not touch the ball...not even sure he saw an offensive snap). That's progression.

I haven't looked at snap counts last night but I saw Shakir on the field a bit last night too. Just an estimate I'd say he had 35-40% of the snaps last night...which is right about where Crowder was before getting injured.  Only 1 completion went to the slot position last night. 

When you have a roster as deep with as much talent at the skill positions it allows you to trickle in rookies slowly. It's a great play to both get them used to the speed of the NFL and gain trust of the guys on the team. Teams like Seattle, Houston, the Jets that you see these rookie runners starting for and doing well...they have far less talent on their teams. Hall is already out and Walker and Pierce may likely hit that rookie wall about week 15 or 16. I'm ok not letting Cook wear himself out being that I'm hoping he plays in 20 games this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.