Poyer elbow injury (update: “day-to-day”)

YoloinOhio

Hoping for the best but he needs surgery then that could be the end of Poyer as a Buffalo Bill. I don't think they were going to re-sign him for the kind of $ his wife wants, uh I mean he wants. I think Jordan Phillips would get a contract before Jordan Poyer and Edmunds is probably their biggest contract this off-season. There's only so many of those big contracts to go around when your QB makes $45 mil per year and safety is way down the list

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Hoping for the best but he needs surgery then that could be the end of Poyer as a Buffalo Bill. I don't think they were going to re-sign him for the kind of $ his wife wants, uh I mean he wants. I think Jordan Phillips would get a contract before Jordan Poyer and Edmunds is probably their biggest contract this off-season. There's only so many of those big contracts to go around when your QB makes $45 mil per year and safety is way down the list

And I believe this was why Beane gave him a slight pay bump this year instead of a new contract. Those injuries are piling up. While he is an extremely important player on our defense...he's already missed multiple games. He's exited a couple others early due to injury. For a guy on the wrong side of 30...it's not the way to get the big new contract. If anything Beane may offer him a "prove it" deal IMO. 

Poyer is still good when available and playing through all the injury is a credit to what a warrior he is. But it's likely time to get younger at the position. Hope we can at least get him the ring he deserves as a parting gift. He's more than earned that.

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But the safeties do much more than play safety in this scheme. It is too much inexperience back there IMO. No coincidence that the two big plays the Bills have given up on defense in 7 games have both come when both starting safeties were not there. If Poyer is done they need to try and bring in a true vet with some experience in similar defenses. That is why I throw Xavier Woods out there. There is carry over from Dan Quinn's scheme he played in last year in Dallas to what McDermott and Frazier do.

The last touchdown in particularly never should have happened.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The last touchdown in particularly never should have happened.  

Poor technique by Hamlin. He spun around and lost track of the ball and the receiver. If he opened up his hips and kept the play in front of him he would see the receiver change direction 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

But he does lock down one side of the field. That means you can shade coverage to the other side. For 3 years that is what we did. Tre shut his side down, we shaded coverage to Levi and told him to keep everything in front, give up as many 6 yard completions as necessary to avoid getting beat deep.

That is a more accurate description of what they did. They also played Poyer and Hyde in the box more with White. Now they are two deep the vast majority of the time.

20 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Poor technique by Hamlin. He spun around and lost track of the ball and the receiver. If he opened up his hips and kept the play in front of him he would see the receiver change direction 

That is much harder to do than you think. You are correct but its very hard to do and even the best turn and run with the WR especially that far down field.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Might have to add a safety to the trade list.

Maybe they move Benford to safety when Tre returns. Get that ball roll.

I've heard this from a few folks the past weeks.

So ... you want a 6th round rookie, who has never played safety in his career, to change positions mid-season and start? 

Do you think there could potentially be any issues there, considering our Safeties play some of the most complicated schemes in the NFL?

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I've heard this from a few folks the past weeks.

So ... you want a 6th round rookie, who has never played safety in his career, to change positions mid-season and start? 

Do you think there could potentially be any issues there, considering our Safeties play some of the most complicated schemes in the NFL?

I didn’t say anything about starting.

Jeremy White had a horrible take on this during the morning show.

He said he doesn’t want Beane to trade for a safety because it’s an “admission that the Bills have a problem”.

What kind of sense does that make? 

Jaquan Johnson is a problem Jeremy. He can’t run. And he’s going to be the reason you give up long touchdowns. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Johnathan Abram is definitely getting traded.  Hard hitter.  Would we be upgrade to Hamlin and Johnson.

hard hitter but terrible in coverage. Not sure he’s an upgrade. I lived near Oakland (until this year) so Raiders are kind of a secondary team for me and I can tell you Raiders fans love him as a hard hitter but hate his coverage skills. And I’m pretty sure coverage is where we want an upgrade in this case. He also has a problem with availability. Another thing we are already dealing with our safeties. Pass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Johnathan Abram is definitely getting traded.  Hard hitter.  Would we be upgrade to Hamlin and Johnson.

He might be the worst cover S I’ve ever seen.  Dude makes so many mental mistakes and has cost the teams several times with his stupidity.  I’d be shocked if we traded for him.  Doesn’t seem like a scheme or character fit imo

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.