Poyer elbow injury (update: “day-to-day”)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We’ve gotten all the mileage we can out of Poyer and Hyde, but Jaquan Johnson and Damar Hamlin will give up long passing plays, Miami showed this and Green Bay as well.

Jaquan Johnson is not good enough.

The only time Aaron went deep I think was once Poyer was out.

The drop-off in coverage was noticeable. 

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah, that locker room video is not inspiring.

Still a lot of time left, but surgery probably knocks him out for the regular season. 

I agree with you , that video of him hearing or feeling a “”pop” is concerning. Plus I saw it reported on YouTube that someone had seen swelling around the elbow and this other reporter said he also had swelling around his hand.  The elbow has a capsule around the moving ; articulating parts ,  Posterior swelling is not uncommon ( bursitis can cause that) , but swelling in the area where the elbow bends is worrisome as it can signify blood collecting there from acute / recent trauma. So the reports that people saw swelling is concerning. 

Hearing or feeling a pop is usually associated with ligament ( like ACL) or tendon tears( like your biceps tendon ). The main tendon that might “pop” in that area under force ( like trying to tackle someone , your biceps is contracting while they are applying force in the opposite direction moving away from you ) is the distal biceps tendon and it’s not uncommon for it to rupture.  X-rays would be most  likely negative ( tho you can see some indirect shadows from bleeding called a fat pad sign ) , so an MRI is needed for diagnosis. 

If that “pop “ turns  out to be the distal ( furthest from the trunk) biceps tendon rupturing , it usually requires surgery ( most of the time ; some people chose against it but they can have problems with weakness , range of movement etc and need therapy to regain function) with rehab to get full strength back. I’m not an orthopedist , but I would think most athletes would go the surgery route.  So Poyer mentioning the pop and others reporting swelling is definitely concerning.  You never know until you see the imaging  so I hope it’s something else that won’t require surgery  as I am a fan who appreciates his story and he is such a great player IMO.  It would be sad if both he and Hyde , the 2 pieces Mcd started building around , both miss what looks  like our best shot at the Lombardi, and could  even hurt our chances getting there.to begin with.  Hope for the best , sure miss seeing them out there.  

Poyer may end up on IR , clearing the way for Tre to be  on the roster , but I bet Beane is looking for a safety tomorrow. 😣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ok that rarely happened.  White played his side of the field. It was only a few rare games that he lined exclusively against an opponents top target.  

But he does lock down one side of the field. That means you can shade coverage to the other side. For 3 years that is what we did. Tre shut his side down, we shaded coverage to Levi and told him to keep everything in front, give up as many 6 yard completions as necessary to avoid getting beat deep.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Can slide Benford back there. And would be fine as well. 

Long term that is an answer, but in the middle of a run at a Superbowl putting a rookie corner at safety? I don't think he'd be a disaster or anything but that is quite the adjustment for him, I suspect there would be growing pains. 

If Poyer is gone for the year I would be working the phones. Carolina are in sell mode. I'd see if they'd take something for Xavier Woods. Offer them the 5th we got foe Cody Ford. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Long term that is an answer, but in the middle of a run at a Superbowl putting a rookie corner at safety? I don't think he'd be a disaster or anything but that is quite the adjustment for him, I suspect there would be growing pains. 

If Poyer is gone for the year I would be working the phones. Carolina are in sell mode. I'd see if they'd take something for Xavier Woods. Offer them the 5th we got foe Cody Ford. 

I get it. But this rookie has been starting at CB day one. Put him at safety in the cover two shell the Bills play and you will be fine 

puts your best players on the field. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I get it. But this rookie has been starting at CB day one. Put him at safety in the cover two shell the Bills play and you will be fine 

puts your best players on the field. 

But the safeties do much more than play safety in this scheme. It is too much inexperience back there IMO. No coincidence that the two big plays the Bills have given up on defense in 7 games have both come when both starting safeties were not there. If Poyer is done they need to try and bring in a true vet with some experience in similar defenses. That is why I throw Xavier Woods out there. There is carry over from Dan Quinn's scheme he played in last year in Dallas to what McDermott and Frazier do.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The same Marlowe that got burned for a huge TD at end of game that should have lost them the game.

The same guy that knows the system and can walk in the door and provide depth if needed.    yeah that guy   oh no he gave up a touchdown... so did the bills D, it happens 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.