NFL Week 8: Packers at Bills - post game thread

BuffaloBill

The Packers successfully confused Josh at times, particularly in the second half.

Still, he made boneheaded decisions that he immediately knew were boneheaded. 

Could’ve been the hype of facing Rodgers. Could’ve been the Packers quality pass defense. Whatever it was, it was a bad second half for Josh.

Still, the Bills won by 10. When you can have a whole bad half and your QB can throw two picks and you can STILL beat an Aaron Rodgers team by 10, you’re pretty good.

I hope they lock in to practice all week and come out like a house of fire against the Jets.

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Damn!! Can't we handle the truth!! He even told Melissa Stark he played like crap

He did play bad as did the offense in the second half. It happens. The most encouraging part about last night was the Bills still had a 3 score lead most of the way. GB got a meaningless TD to make the score look respectable, but they were never winning last night.

It’s the sign of an elite team when you don’t have your fastball and still win by two scores. I think the thing is the game just felt kinda flat all night. Wasn’t there but the crowd seemed kinda flat too. Can’t really put my finger on why. And then we played really flat the second half

Edited by BillsSbSoon
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Tale of 2 halves. I wonder if Dorsey has 2 sides to his play sheet. 1 side good plays to call and second side says, Experimental plays. If we are ahead, try these.🤔🤣

Yeh I got the sense they were trying different things in the second... Even on defense... whatever it wasnt working... On the drives wish they'd run wide when GB stacked inside... pitch the ball out to Cook... still as someone earlier said great game for coaches... up big then didnt play well so plenty to work on.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Greg S said:

He did play bad as did the offense in the second half. It happens. The most encouraging part about last night was the Bills still had a 3 score lead most of the way. GB got a meaningless TD to make the score look respectable, but they were never winning last night.

I have said this myself before but, watching the game back, Josh wasn't bad in the second half. He was only bad in the fourth quarter. He was fine in the third; it was a penalty which screwed up the sole drive which resulted in it ending with a FG rather than TD.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Pretty good article in Minneapolis Star Tribune

https://www.startribune.com/diggs-bills-hand-rodgers-packers-4th-straight-loss-27-17/600220584/

In the meantime, the showdown between two of the NFL's top quarterbacks, Rodgers and Buffalo's Josh Allen, never really materialized.

Allen finished 13 of 25 for 218 yards and two touchdowns with two interceptions. He added 49 yards rushing, including a powerful 20-yard gain on third-and-14 to set up his 1-yard TD pass to Dawson Knox that opened the scoring.

Allen was unhappy with the two interceptions he threw in the fourth quarter, which briefly gave the Packers life.

Rodgers, meantime, was unable to will the Packers to victory a week after he called out teammates, cited too many mental errors and shared the blame following a 23-21 loss at Washington.

Rodgers' message following the latest loss was more understated this time.

"I think the most important thing is to take a beat. After a frustration like this, the last thing you want is to respond in emotion," the four-time MVP said. "So take a beat, let it sit. There's not a whole lot to say after the game that is really going to spark the team, I don't think."

The three-time defending NFC North champion Packers dropped to 3-5. The four-game skid is the second-longest under Rodgers and the team's worst since 2016. Green Bay hasn't been 3-5 since 2006, Brett Favre's second-to-last season.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if film analysis showed Big J firing off in pass rush and losing gap integrity vs the run.  That was his Achilles heel during his previous stint in Buffalo.

I'm really hoping Cover1 will do an analysis of What Went Wrong with the Run D because giving up 200 yds AND allowing Rodgers to break contain and extend play for that TD is really bad.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

And a conveniently left off successful onside kick.

If the OPI is not called (and plays like that are not at least 50% of the time) and Crosby makes that FG, there's no need for an onside kick.  The game would've been tied on the FG.

We were not comfortably ahead and the people here claiming we were, were just like everyone else in that Stadium...it wasn't until Crosby missed that FG, did people breathe a sigh of relief.

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

If the OPI is not called (and plays like that are not at least 50% of the time) and Crosby makes that FG, there's no need for an onside kick.  The game would've been tied on the FG.

We were not comfortably ahead and the people here claiming we were, were just like everyone else in that Stadium...it wasn't until Crosby missed that FG, did people breathe a sigh of relief.

Oh we're reworking other things in the game too, pretty sure there were a few plays/penalties that if different would have given us more points as well.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was calling for that replay too. Reminded me of him and Josh going at Ramsey earlier this year. I was going to be fine taking a taunting penalty there as well, but I do think the WRs let Alexander get way too into their heads.

It's my impression Josh got pulled in there with them a bit and tried to force the ball.

My biggest concern is whether Josh actually may have dinged up a shoulder or something in the 1st half and it stiffened during halftime.  He took a couple hard hits.

Josh 1st half: 8 of 11 (72%) for 129 gross yards, 127 net yards; 0 INT, 2 for 2 in red zone

Josh 2nd half: 5 of 14 (36%) for 89 gross and net yards, 0 for 2 in red zone

It's possible GB made a defensive coverage change that gave Josh less time, but he also seemed to be missing throws he would normally hit. 

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Yeah, Dude, you can't do that.  If one play is different, then the entire game is different and maybe we make different plays with different results.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

It’s the sign of an elite team when you don’t have your fastball and still win by two scores. I think the thing is the game just felt kinda flat all night. Wasn’t there but the crowd seemed kinda flat too. Can’t really put my finger on why. And then we played really flat the second half

I was there, and I agree that the crowd did not bring their A-game. Lots of Cheese heads were there, which might have contributed. There was even an audible "Let's go Pack!" chant from across the stadium directly before Allen's last INT. 

10 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

They lost by 10.  The OPI call cost them 4 (not 7), 24-10 instead of 24-14.  They scored to make it 27-17 with 6 or so left... that would have made it 27-21.  

I'm not sure they even attempt the FG down 6 there as they'd still need the onside kick, and another likely long FG.  At the same time, you don't know if that changes mindset in the red zone because 27-14 is a 2 score game vs. 3.  Buffalo might try and run it in and settle for the easy 3 to make it 16 (2 scores, but borderline 3 as you need 2 conversions). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.