Please help me, Bills family 😀

Italian Bills

From biography about Archie Manning (his two sons were pretty decent throwers): 

Coach Johnny Vaught’s instructions to Archie Manning on passing.

Grip the ball with the fingers overlapping the laces slightly behind the middle of the ball.  Grip firm but not hard, remember, fingers not the palm should grip the ball.  If you can push the index finger of your hand between your palm and the ball, you have the proper grip.

You can control the ball with your fingers but not with the palm.  When delivering the ball, the quarterback’s action of transferring weight from back foot to front foot, leading with the front foot, and developing the follow through with the arm should be a rhythmical, fluid motion.  Prior to the weight transfer, get the ball above the head by extending the arm.  The left hand can only guide the ball up part of the way.  If you attempt to let the left hand guide the ball all of the way up, it will destroy the rhythm.

After getting the ball up, attempt to coordinate the weight transfer and the “darting technique” of throwing the ball.  By attempting to throw the ball like you throw a dart, you emphasize finger control.  The fingers are the last parts of the body to touch the ball.  The fingers release the ball from the little finger to the index finger.  Rotate the wrist away from the body.  The index finger is the last finger to touch the ball and it is with this finger that you put RPMs on the ball.

The sequence: Stand tall and balanced; ball high; step with the left foot and point with the left arm; dart the ball – put RPMs with fingers; follow through with right foot.

Three common faults the passer must recognize. 1. Ball going high to target – Indicates early release by fingers.  2. Ball going low to target – Indicates late release by fingers.  3. Ball wobbly - Indicates inward rotation of wrist instead of outward rotation which allows finger control.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/30/2022 at 4:58 AM, Italian Bills said:

Hello everybody.

As you know i’m from Italy and since more than 30 years i’m a Bills diehard fan also.

I have an original football and i would love to learn how to throw it perfectly, with a perfect spiral.

When sitting on my  armchair i’m able to throw it up very well but if i try to throw the football when i’m in my yard, i can’t have a good spiral. 

Some advise ? 

I watched some video but without good results. 

It seem a stupid request i know, but thanks in advance for your help. 😇🏈🏈🏈

https://youtu.be/PeiwvKtyxdI

This is the video that showed me I was throwing the ball wrong. This Joe Montana guy might just know something. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

https://youtu.be/PeiwvKtyxdI

This is the video that showed me I was throwing the ball wrong. This Joe Montana guy might just know something. 

Just watched the video, and enjoyed it! 

I loved this comment beneath the video:

"After watching Joe's video, I'm the new starting qb for my 8th grade team. And I'm only 35."

😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/30/2022 at 7:42 AM, BringBackFergy said:

Go to the one minute mark. Pretty good explanation of how Josh throws the ball. Really, only one or two fingers are on the laces. If you put all 5 fingers on the laces you’ll helicopter it (like my daughter when she was 9 years old.)

I heard you shouldn't throw you kids till they're about 12 years old. That way they won't helicopter so much. 

On 10/30/2022 at 4:58 AM, Italian Bills said:

Hello everybody.

As you know i’m from Italy and since more than 30 years i’m a Bills diehard fan also.

I have an original football and i would love to learn how to throw it perfectly, with a perfect spiral.

When sitting on my  armchair i’m able to throw it up very well but if i try to throw the football when i’m in my yard, i can’t have a good spiral. 

Some advise ? 

I watched some video but without good results. 

It seem a stupid request i know, but thanks in advance for your help. 😇🏈🏈🏈

1. Start off by just using the flick of wrist. Starting out its not about how far the ball goes but to see the result of just a flick wrist throw.

2. now that you did that 30 or so times and have learned the spiral through the wrist its about arm throw timing with wrist flick.

3. start out with 1/4th or 1/2 arm throw timing that flick of wrist.

between step one and 3 is about 60 throws. you can do this fast with a few extra footballs and someone helping.

now go long arm throw. by now the flick timing should be good. 75 throws a day just doing this every day for a few days a week will have that spiral working like a pro.

Follow finger placement on threads just like the 100 or so video's i am sure you watched.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.