Grateful Dead fans - anyone going to Meetup at the movies next week?

The Poojer

I noticed a couple weeks ago that our local cinema was going to show the GD Meetup.  I had no idea what it was, so looked it up.

It was a pretty cool idea, so I mentioned it to my wife.

She reminded me that in the 17 years we've lived in NZ, we haven't met any Deadheads.  Any!

I'm sure they exist, but not close to the numbers back in the US of A.  (They're probably all nice and snug in their Hobbit-holes.)

That said, we decided to just stay at home.

Pooj... what was it like where you went?

How big was the crowd?  Was there anything else on offer apart from the concert movie?

11 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I noticed a couple weeks ago that our local cinema was going to show the GD Meetup.  I had no idea what it was, so looked it up.

It was a pretty cool idea, so I mentioned it to my wife.

She reminded me that in the 17 years we've lived in NZ, we haven't met any Deadheads.  Any!

I'm sure they exist, but not close to the numbers back in the US of A.  (They're probably all nice and snug in their Hobbit-holes.)

That said, we decided to just stay at home.

Pooj... what was it like where you went?

How big was the crowd?  Was there anything else on offer apart from the concert movie?

The crowd was decent but not packed, Phillies were playing so understandable.  It was fun.  There was clapping between songs just like a concert.  The movie itself was not the full show, but that was fine.  The Tivoli show was definitely a fun show, so seeing most of it on the screen was awesome.  The camera shots and audio were stellar.  It was very much like back in the day when there were simulcast events in theaters.  Well worth the night out 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t go to the meetup, but I did see that set on YouTube, and it’s fantastic.

I wanted to make everyone aware that there’s a guy named Cristopher Hazzard on YouTube who compiles and restores Grateful Dead performance videos. He upscales many of them to 4K, allowing you to see the Dead in a clarity and crispness that has never before been possible.

There are dozens of videos, often full concerts, spanning the Dead’s entire career. There’s really extraordinary stuff from as far back as 1968. Full shows from peak years like 1974 and 1976, in HD picture quality. Mind blowing, the things technology can do.

Below is a link to one I’ve been enjoying a ton the past few days. Click  the guy’s name under the video to see all the other stuff he has to offer. If you have a Smart TV, download YouTube onto it and then you can watch these shows on your TV, and they look and sound exquisite on a big HD screen and with a home stereo system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.