Sammy Watkins says Buffalo Bills are still his team

BuffaloBills1998

A lot of hate here for a guy who clearly didn't have it all put together during his time in Buffalo and the Bills failed to get him the support network he needed. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered but I'm not gonna hate on a guy for liking Buffalo.  

Wish it worked out better but it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

A lot of hate here for a guy who clearly didn't have it all put together during his time in Buffalo and the Bills failed to get him the support network he needed. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered but I'm not gonna hate on a guy for liking Buffalo.  

How do you know "the Bills failed to get him the support network he needed"? 

You can offer someone who has a struggle with mental issues or substance abuse all the support network there is.  You can't force them to take advantage of it if they're unready or unwilling.

I'll grant I don't think the Bills handled his fracture correctly (I don't think we had a SOFTA staff and facility) but, Watkins also later admitted he ***** up his own rehab by taking his boot off and failing to follow medical advice.

My thing: is I don't believe Sammy Watkins liked Buffalo at all when he was here.  I think he viewed himself as a superior WR talent stuck on an inferior team with 2nd rate QB (Orton and Taylor) throwing to him.  I think when we traded him to the LA Rams he viewed it as release and redemption - the chance to become the player he deserved to be!  Except he was consistently outplayed by the WR ahead of him on the depth chart.

I think his Buffa-Love was created in hindsight by the chance to play with 3 different SB winning QB and failing to achieve the same production he had with the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

How do you know "the Bills failed to get him the support network he needed"? 

During his tenure the Bills did not have the culture or support staff for young players that they do now.  The coaching staff was not as detail oriented about player development, recovery, and physical load management. 

They may have reached out, but they weren't as buttoned up as they are now with player development.

I don't want to make it sound like his career trajectory was the sole fault of the Bills either, ultimately it was up to him. 

14 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

During his tenure the Bills did not have the culture or support staff for young players that they do now.  The coaching staff was not as detail oriented about player development, recovery, and physical load management.

They may have reached out, but they weren't as buttoned up as they are now with player development.

I don't want to make it sound like his career trajectory was the sole fault of the Bills either, ultimately it was up to him. 

From what we know, I can't disagree with you that the Bills seem to have a better organization now, but there's a lot of space between "didn't have then what we have now" and "failed to get him the support network he needed".

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think Sammy should be banished to the group of exiled Bills alumni (like McGahee or OJ).

He was obviously immature, but had bad injury luck as well.

I have trouble getting worked up about it, because we stunk during those years and he could have been the second coming of Jerry Rice and it wouldn’t have made us not stink anymore.

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

He has played with Mahomes, Lamar, and Rodgers and has never had a breakout season. What makes you think Allen is the X factor to bring that out 

He never got his act together.  If he had, he would still be here.

I used to be angry at the whole Sammy thing, but the more I watch and hear him I kind of feel sad tbh. Yes, he's rich and famous and everything that goes with that, and we shouldn't feel sorry the rich and famous and blah blah blah. But this guy just seems off. Idk if it's just the pressure and reality of missed expectations, or what other stuff is going on in his life, but he just seems like a shell of a person. IDK, the guy comes across as sad or worse all the time. You couldn't pay me to trade places with him. 

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is a WR and liked Moulds and peerless price 

Moulds was probably only rivaled physically by TO and randy moss in his era … he was a beast 

I want the Bills to sign him to this day. Just throw him 1 six yard pass!!!!  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

He didn't like it when he was here and he went out of his way to crap on us. Magically he likes it now. F him.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.