With the Eagles and Chiefs making roster moves, are the Bills already good enough to stand pat?

tomur67

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Bills aren’t good enough to stand pat, in particular, lots of concern about OL. But it takes the right trade partner, player, and contract…and good timing. They may ultimately HAVE to stand pat due to the market which is what I expect.

Yes they are. They are good enough to win the SB this year with the personnel they have. It is pretty much why they are the favorites...

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Right now the media is talking about all sorts of stuff - DE Josh Allen, Kareem Hunt, Chase Claypool. 

I think Odell Beckham might be the best move because of the cap, he's a rental, and there is no assets to give. 

As soon as the report came out that the Steelers view McCaffrey's deal as the starter template for any Claypool trade, my opinion is I'm out on that. 

Hunt, if he was a late-round pick and you could fit him, then I think he could be good on this team. 

And DE Josh Allen? What are the Jags going to want for him, and he joins the rotation probably behind Miller and Rousseau. Feels redundant. 

I'm wondering if the Bills don't try something at Safety to replace Hyde, or if 65.5 Damar Hamlin on PFF is "good enough". 

I also agree with other posters, a quality offensive lineman could really be used as well. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Notice that next year JA17's base salary goes from 4.1MM to 27.5MM, which more than gobbles up the $17mm expected cap increase, so anyone we pick up is likely a rest of the season rental.

Base salary will be restructured. We’ll see a Allen extension this offseason creating tens of millions in cap space.

• Like (+1) 2

Ok, so two caveats upfront:

1. I believe this present team currently can win the SB.

2. I don't want Beane make a move so for the sake of it because other contenders are.

Having said that I would like to see us be a bit aggressive and make a move. Especially at RB, which frankly is a weakness, even though Devin is a warrior. Would absolutely love Jacob's at the right price.  Also would not mind getting a safety for depth. Or even a WR but I'd wait and take my chances with renting OBJ. Thoughts?

• Disagree 1

Just now, JMM said:

Ok, so two caveats upfront:

1. I believe this present team currently can win the SB.

2. I don't want Beane make a move so for the sake of it because other contenders are.

Having said that I would like to see us be a bit aggressive and make a move. Especially at RB, which frankly is a weakness, even though Devin is a warrior. Would absolutely love Jacob's at the right price.  Also would not mind getting a safety for depth. Or even a WR but I'd wait and take my chances with renting OBJ. Thoughts?

Caveat 3: there’s already a thread on this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Base salary will be restructured. We’ll see a Allen extension this offseason creating tens of millions in cap space.

There is zero need for an extension.  Allen will restructure what is needed from his $27M base salary.

The Allen contract is already set up perfect for these scenarios.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He will but why not add years on and lower the cap hit even more? Allen isn’t going anywhere for 10 years.

His current 6-year extension doesn't even start until next year.  Between his base salary ($27.5M) and his Option Bonus ($8,4M)

they could cut his cap hit from $39M to $10M if they wanted to.

Beane needs a lot of restructure money next year, but it won't all come from Allen.  There are plenty of options.

20 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Notice that next year JA17's base salary goes from 4.1MM to 27.5MM, which more than gobbles up the $17mm expected cap increase, so anyone we pick up is likely a rest of the season rental.

Which shows how valuable draft picks are.  Beane loves his draft picks, and knows how much more valuable they are when you are up against the cap                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His current 6-year extension doesn't even start until next year.  Between his base salary ($27.5M) and his Option Bonus ($8,4M)

they could cut his cap hit from $39M to $10M if they wanted to.

Beane needs a lot of restructure money next year, but it won't all come from Allen.  There are plenty of options.

I know the details but it’s going to happen at some point. It really doesn’t matter if it’s next year or 3 years from now, he’ll get an extension to create even more room. They don’t need to do it next year.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Which shows how valuable draft picks are.  Beane loves his draft picks, and knows how much more valuable they are when you are up against the cap                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Draft picks are also unpredictable. Trading them away for rentals probably isn’t smart, depends what you’re getting. But doing something where you can trade away draft picks for a player you know will start on your roster is smart.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.