Bills release new stadium renderings

YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I read on PFT that Thurman's construction company will be a general contractor for the stadium build.

That's pretty cool 

I think it was a no brainer.  It would not be a good look for PSE not to bring on board, a minority construction management firm as one of 3 companies tasked for the job.  Bills HoF’er, local company…it would be a nightmare if they weren’t given a small chunk of the work, and then went to the media. 

On 11/3/2022 at 1:53 PM, WotAGuy said:

For these large capital projects, I think it’s just the opposite - you don’t necessarily go with the lowest bid. You go with the firm that has a proven track record of bringing projects in on time and within budget. That way you have a firm experienced in estimating the cost up front as well as managing overruns. 

I’m not sure the Pegulas have a magic upper number in mind.  If the overruns could be estimated with any certainty, they would be factored into the overall price. 

The current supply chain cost and availability issues makes these large construction projects even more difficult to estimate.  Your best hedge against out of control overruns is to pick a firm with the experience and connections to minimize the uncertainties. 

Projects like this are generally contracted under either a Guaranteed Minimum Price, commonly known as Lowest Responsive Bid, or a Guaranteed Maximum Price under which structure any cost savings are often shared between the Contractor and the Owner. Overruns, or Change Orders, as they’re commonly known, come from three main categories: additional owner requests, design deficiencies, and unforeseen conditions (soils, etc). When a good team of architects, engineers, and contractors is assembled changes can easily be held under 5% of the total cost. 

On 11/5/2022 at 12:19 PM, LabattBlue said:

I think it was a no brainer.  It would not be a good look for PSE not to bring on board, a minority construction management firm as one of 3 companies tasked for the job.  Bills HoF’er, local company…it would be a nightmare if they weren’t given a small chunk of the work, and then went to the media. 

Don’t make it a race issue 

It should go to the best companies … I don’t care if it’s owned by a black guy an Indian , Asian, or Latino 

Edited by Buffalo716

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Don’t make it a race issue 

It should go to the best companies … I don’t care if it’s owned by a black guy an Indian , Asian, or Latino 

You don’t think as part of the deal with the state and county, that minority or woman owned businesses get their share of project related work?  

Edited by LabattBlue

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You don’t think as part of the deal with the state and county, that minority or woman owned businesses get there share of project related work?  

just cause there’s affirmative action type stuff.. Doesn’t mean it’s always correct… And Plenty of minorities would agree with that

The job should Always go to the best person available.. Regardless of sex or race

Edited by Buffalo716

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

just cause there’s affirmative action type stuff.. Doesn’t mean it’s always correct… And Plenty of minorities would agree with that

The job should Always go to the best person available.. Regardless of sex or race

As someone in the business, the real problem with these type of carve outs hiring is that they generally target companies that are OWNED by minorities or women. This says nothing then about the actual workers which is where 90% of the contract goes. When WBE (women-owned business enterprise) legislation first came out a number of guys just ‘gave’ the company to their wives. It changed nothing for anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills, this is how you canopy. Allianz Stadium! 70,000 seats all covered. What is our excuse for not covering 62,000?

I definitely agree. Once it was decided to not build a dome, it makes zero sense to build the new stadium with only a partial cover. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills, this is how you canopy. Allianz Stadium! 70,000 seats all covered. What is our excuse for not covering 62,000?

An Extra $300 million I would guess. All kidding aside, Munich is not in a snow belt and I assume there are cost and safety concerns about snow weight if they extend the roof too much without it being closed. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Locomark said:

An Extra $300 million I would guess. All kidding aside, Munich is not in a snow belt and I assume there are cost and safety concerns about snow weight if they extend the roof too much without it being closed. 

Don't confuse irrational ranters with facts.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:09 PM, SoCal Deek said:

As someone in the business, the real problem with these type of carve outs hiring is that they generally target companies that are OWNED by minorities or women. This says nothing then about the actual workers which is where 90% of the contract goes. When WBE (women-owned business enterprise) legislation first came out a number of guys just ‘gave’ the company to their wives. It changed nothing for anyone. 

A friend of mine asked my wife to be a partner to such a business so he could qualify for set aside business.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

A friend of mine asked my wife to be a partner to such a business so he could qualify for set aside business.

That Munich stadium was completed this year for 800 million US and it is nicer than what we are building. Is that due to legislation. Nope. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

As others have said, in Munich, they actually get very little snowfall. It is rare for more than a couple inches to fall at a time. 

The type of roof/canopy that can be put on a Stadium in Munich is totally different than what would be required to support snow and ice in Orchard Park.

26 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Exactly 

Yet another well intentioned liberal ‘fix’ that didn’t take into account that the market would simply adapt around it. Happens time and time and time again…but I have to hand it to them for trying. 

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

As others have said, in Munich, they actually get very little snowfall. It is rare for more than a couple inches to fall at a time. 

The type of roof/canopy that can be put on a Stadium in Munich is totally different than what would be required to support snow and ice in Orchard Park.

yeah we just don't have the technology to build a roof able to withstand snow.... sorry... "partial" roof.

In 2022... just can't do it yet. 🤣

But after decades of time where we have asked the question: 'what if we could build another stadium'... we finally have our opportunity to take all that we have learned & build a new stadium & what do we come up with?

We build an even smaller stadium right next to the old one. That pretty much sums up the bar to pass around here lol. An opportunity to do something big or beneficial for this community & region & we line up at the trough like pigs hungry to eat up the bs they feed us because we're what, just happy the team is staying?

Some will defend these designs to the death. Others like myself feel from the very start strategically speaking we already have failed. In size, scale, location, in its ability to generate revenue & pay back its costs outside of a handful of games each year? To being designed with the local weather in mind. One could literally go on & on with this failure of imagination & planning & process.

This whole thing is a big crock of bs imho, something only we would **** up to this degree.

36 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

BUF gets a sh#t ton of snow, wind. Seriously, if you haven’t traveled, you’d not realize. German snows rarely and snow a couple weeks. Buffalo has to build much more strength into coverings. but Munich look is a good goal. 

Are heated roof elements not a thing that would melt snow on contact and be led through a series of drains?

Like the things to prevent ice dams that are shaped like VVVVV?

They’re installing heating elements underneath the field to help the grass and melt snow. Why not the roof?

I refuse to believe that it’s a problem that couldn’t be solved.

Edited by UConn James

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.