Bills release new stadium renderings

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yikes. Don’t let the architects hear that. 

I doubt you’ll find any fan that gives a rats ass if there’s another stadium in a different sport that has similar features on the other side of the world.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I really hope they don’t price the sideline seats(especially the first ten rows) so high that a large number of them go unsold.  Horrible look when on TV, and you see this a lot at baseball stadiums right behind home plate with the comfy widely spaced seats, that are often empty. 

Just now, SDS said:

I doubt you’ll find any fan that gives a rats ass if there’s another stadium in a different sport that has similar features on the other side of the world.

I’m in full agreement with you there. My comments are from the world of architecture….not from the viewpoint of your typical sports fan. 

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

I hadn't seen it before.  I like it better than what was released yesterday...

It's almost two years old. I like it too, and it may have been an early idea, but I think they wanted the stadium fully enclosed on the sides to reduce wind/elements. We can see they got rid of the huge gap on the end. The overhang looks sleek on that one, but I don't like how it's up on stilts with the metal structure exposed underneath. Looks outdated and clashes with the rest of the sleek design

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m in full agreement with you there. My comments are from the world of architecture….not from the viewpoint of your typical sports fan. 

so we need a different design to satisfy the architectural insustry? Lol GTFO

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Fair enough. What in your beholding eyes make the two stadiums so similar in your view?

It’s the general exterior shape clad in a glass/metal panels with undulating openings. And the general interior shape featuring the steep rake of the seats and high pitched overhang halo at the top. Both are very similar to Tottenham. I’m guessing that from this point forward in the development of the design that the architects are going to work like crazy to make sure they look less similar. It’s what we do. 

On 10/27/2022 at 9:14 AM, Wayne Cubed said:

I'd say that  angle is no where near indicitive of how much the roof covers.
1066610720_145:0:726:640_1920x0_80_0_0_3

You can see the lower seating in that image and how much of the seating is actually covered. 

In looking at it again, the new stadium roof design does not look like it covers near as much as this pic of Tottenham or Allianz Munich. 

Either it’s the angle of the design pic they released or my other thought is, they had to angle the roof much more sharply for snow load and thus could only extend it so far over seats.  Tottenham and Allianz roofs are much more flat than concept drawings (and appear to cover much more seating than our concept).

Saw somewhere that the architects/design firm say 65% of seating will be covered. 

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s the general exterior shape clad in a glass/metal panels with undulating openings. And the general interior shape featuring the steep rake of the seats and high pitched overhang halo at the top. Both are very similar to Tottenham. I’m guessing that from this point forward in the development of the design that the architects are going to work like crazy to make sure they look less similar. It’s what we do. 

I get the building material similarities and I pointed out the roof overhang previously, but everything else you mentioned is generic to many stadiums already. 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I get the building material similarities and I pointed out the roof overhang previously, but everything else you mentioned is generic to many stadiums already. 

No argument there. That’s what makes stadium design so challenging. The architects have to work really hard to make the facilities look different, given that there are so many things that are by the nature of the facility going to be similar.

Remember, my critique says nothing about whether the Bills stadium is what most people would say is nice looking or not. My comments come strictly from the point of view of an architect. I’d be shocked if Populous didn’t actually try and talk the Bills out of having it look at all similar to one of their more recent designs. Again, it’s what we do. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

9 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

In looking at it again, the new stadium roof design does not look like it covers near as much as this pic of Tottenham or Allianz Munich. 

Either it’s the angle of the design pic they released or my other thought is, they had to angle the roof much more sharply for snow load and thus could only extend it so far over seats.  Tottenham and Allianz roofs are much more flat than concept drawings (and appear to cover much more seating than our concept).

Saw somewhere that the architects/design firm say 65% of seating will be covered. 

It "covers" everything but the lower bowl. And "cover" is a loose term for many of those seats. If you draw a line straight down from the overhang and consider anything on the outside of that line as "covered" then yeah, I see 65%. Lower bowl is 35%, I guess that seems right.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

It’s the angle somewhat but Hotspur stadium has added glass for more coverage. Hopefully this is something the Bills do as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve tried to look up how much the Hotspur stadium canopy covers. This angle looks similar to the Bills rendering. There is additional glass added to the canopy for more coverage. I think the Bills could do something similar.

659A2926-3B69-429C-8223-EE479698FEC9.jpeg

Renderings are often deceiving because of the perspective. Just go on Google Earth and look straight down from the satellite. You’ll see that virtually all of the seats are covered in European soccer stadiums, especially in England where it rains a lot during their season. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve tried to look up how much the Hotspur stadium canopy covers. This angle looks similar to the Bills rendering. There is additional glass added to the canopy for more coverage. I think the Bills could do something similar.

659A2926-3B69-429C-8223-EE479698FEC9.jpeg

I would think so, too. If structural soundness is in question, how much more would it be to have an extra overhang that can slide out? Would be a cool feature. If it's gonna snow, leave it in. If it's nice weather or just rain, slide it out for extra coverage. Based on the 65% comments though, it seems to be not in the conversation at this point. Probably too much extra money and not worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No argument there. That’s what makes stadium design so challenging. The architects have to work really hard to make the facilities look different, given that there are so many things that are by the nature of the facility going to be similar.

Remember, my critique says nothing about whether the Bills stadium is what most people would say is nice looking or not. My comments come strictly from the point of view of an architect. I’d be shocked if Populous didn’t actually try and talk the Bills out of having it look at all similar to one of their more recent designs. Again, it’s what we do. 

I agree there’s only so much that can be done when designing for specific dimensions and uses like a football stadium. It’s too bad that ours can’t be in an urban setting because I think there are more aesthetic possibilities vs building in a barren field. What would you, as an architect, do to differentiate football stadiums? 

Just now, K-9 said:

I agree there’s only so much that can be done when designing for specific dimensions and uses like a football stadium. It’s too bad that ours can’t be in an urban setting because I think there are more aesthetic possibilities vs building in a barren field. What would you, as an architect, do to differentiate football stadiums? 

Excellent question. The answers are all around you. Would you say that Dallas, Minnesota, Los Angeles, London, all look the same? They do not. The architects went to great lengths to make sure that they don’t…..and it’s NOT about cost. 

The same is true with more recent outdoor stadiums like San Francisco, Seattle, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Miami and others. 

Again this not about ugly or beautiful in the traditional (layman’s) sense of the word. It’s about making a place that uniquely unique…..if that makes sense. And I’m sure Poplulous will bring a lot of that into the final development. They are VERY talented.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Some art deco detail, if done right, could be very cool and representative of Buffalo architecture. The rendering already features a brick facade and some details reminiscent of buildings like Buffalo City Hall would fit in nicely.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.