Why do some Bills fans refuse to have confidence in this team?

BillsFan619

I was over it for the most part, and, like an idiot I thought the chiefs game was over with 13 left. I think it's the years and years of being bad, mixed with music city miracle, mixed with wide right, mixed with leodis fumble, topped off with 13 seconds leads to apprehension. I'm slowly getting over it though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BruceVilanch said:

I was over it for the most part, and, like an idiot I thought the chiefs game was over with 13 left. I think it's the years and years of being bad, mixed with music city miracle, mixed with wide right, mixed with leodis fumble, topped off with 13 seconds leads to apprehension. I'm slowly getting over it though.

Yep. I was ecstatic at :13 for a moment. Then I sat down and said aloud, " show me how to lose this."

Unfulfilled expectations is the source of a lot of fear, anger and pain in life.  If you think about the times you've felt the most angry, the source of it is likely an expectation you had of something happening or not happening, and the opposite of that occurred.  

I often find people who couch their enthusiasm for the Bills do so out of not wanting to experience the physical pain of disappointment, because they feel it deeply.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've been a Bills fan since the 1979 season. That's 43 years! In that time period, the Bills have had some of the highest highs but have suffered some of the most excruciating, heart breaking losses. Wide right (or the other 3 SBS), Harmon's drop in Cleveland in 88, the Home run throwback in 99 and the "brand new" 13 seconds debacle. All of these make you 2nd guess any premature overconfidence in this team.  A SB win will erase a lot of these ghosts but until then fans of my age will be a bit gun shy about being all in.

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not doubting this team anymore, they have proven they are among the class of the NFL. But totally understand the anxiety a lot of fans still have especially coming out of a bye week fat and possibly not staying hungry after such a great start to the year and winning in KC again.

Only lingering question remains is what they do in the postseason and if they can finally beat the Chiefs when it actually matters should the scenario manifest itself again but until then this team has the inside track to the #1 seed as long as they stay on task which means not overlooking a struggling packers team on SNF.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's Wide Right.  It's the Music City Miracle.  It's 13 Seconds.  Toss in the Harmon Drop, "Just Give It To Them", the Hail Murray and a few others.  Sprinkle in a little Sabres history too (No Goal).  If there was a Super Bowl win mixed in with the rest, it wouldn't be nearly as bad, but there isn't so we feel especially snake bitten.  

Let me add a comment on thirteen seconds.  I thought we had the game won but only for a millisecond.  Butker has a big leg and I was immediately worried about a very long distance FG (60 plus yards).  He hit from 62 against us last week so that was a legitimate concern.  OK, we screw up the kickoff and no time burned and they are starting from their 25.  To get to makeable FG range (less than 65 yards) they need to go from the 25 to somewhere around our 45.  Thirty yards in 13 seconds with all their timeouts.  As said in Godfather Part II about assassinating Hyman Roth, "Difficult, not impossible."  It was absolutely ludicrous to play a prevent defense with your safeties 30 yards off the line of scrimmage unless you are playing for a tie.  Hell, even if we went for two at the end and converted, KC would have had a legitimate shot at the end zone with the last play of the game.  

I do believe, however, that this year will be different.  I can't believe they will ever take their foot off the pedal.  

I have a ton of confidence in this team--  Can they win the Super Bowl? Sure they can? Will they? Breaks and injuries play a big part in the outcome and anything is possible but Bills have best talent in football. 

I have confidence in every player and coach on this team. I dont treat anyone as a target or a whipping boy or trash anyone. 

Do I have confidence some whipping boys this year like Zach Moss , Tremaine Edmunds, Isaiah McKenzie should be still on this team. I know they have made mistakes but I have confidence the coaches will make the right decisions.

Did I have confidence in previous years that when fans made Dawson Knox, Mitch Morse, Levi Wallace whipping boys and trade targets--- Yes I did because some players have proved they belong and others take time to make their mark as everyone progresses as a different rate. 

• Like (+1) 1

He is still Aaron Rodgers.  I’m very confident we will win by 3 scores.  But every game must be taken seriously every week or you end up losing to a team like the Jags.  On paper, Packers should be much better than they have been playing, they could turn it on in any given week.  

But yea…there are plenty of negative fans around here who piss and moan even when we win in a dominant fashion.  

In my life from ages 10 to 27, the Bills didnt make the playoffs.

I watched every year that was going to be our year... crumble including years that had big starts. 

I have no memories of the Superbowls so these years have been great but when 17 out of 22 years has been disappointment its hard to expect the good ending.

• Like (+1) 1

Easy - 

Wide right

4 straight SB losses

Music city miracle

Trentative Edward's

17 year drought of being the gimp from pulp fiction for NE's Zed Brady

Vontae Davis

Marcell Darius

Hail Murray

13 seconds

Lots of times we should have had something that was a pretty much sure thing, we got the shaft.

I mean at some point the karma points we have built up should come but I'm not about to stake my house on it.

Edited by Sharky7337

Another fair question is: how do some fans have total faith in the team?

I don't mean fluff fans who refer to the team as "we" and bask in social media attention. I mean fans who can overlook failure and aren't apprehensive about renewed disappointment. I'd like to get to that place!

The obvious answer is because it's sports and it doesn't matter. But I ask in the spirit of interwebs conversation.

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Easy - 

Wide right

4 straight SB losses

Music city miracle

Trentative Edward's

17 year drought of being the gimp from pulp fiction for NE's Zed Brady

Vontae Davis

Marcell Darius

Hail Murray

13 seconds

Lots of times we should have had something that was a pretty much sure thing, we got the shaft.

I mean at some point the karma points we have built up should come but I'm not about to stake my house on it.

"Just Give it to 'em" Same: "Knocked out Pat's Receiver Makes Catch Out of Bounds." ~How many times should that game have been won, Wade even refused to send his players out for the extra point. 

"Bledsoe's Coin Toss Call"

"Thurman's Lost Helmet"

Things always regress to mean. Now we're gonna have a $1.4 billion stadium where people are gonna be looking to recoup their PSL and turn a profit on StubHub. 😔

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

People have confidence in this team. However, if you aren't nervous about playing the Chiefs and Mahomes in the playoffs, you haven't been watching us play the last few years.  This team needs the home field and the bye.  Nobody wants to have to play that extra game while the Chiefs are at home resting and getting healthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.