Why do some Bills fans refuse to have confidence in this team?

BillsFan619

I’ve been holding off on this post for a couple days but this facetious Twitter post got me off the fence. I know it’s hard to tell tone in a post so please know this isn’t an angry or demeaning rant, it’s more of a curious rant.

Why do some fans choose not to have confidence in this team?

We’re the best team in the league and there’s still posts about “remember the Jags game”, “any given Sunday”, “this will be the game this team gets out of their  slump”, “we don’t have tape on this rookie QB so he could torch us”, etc., etc., etc.

Or, there may be posts that pick out one strength from the opposing team or one weakness from us and they’re worried about that instead of choosing to be confident in the nine strengths we do have going into that game.

I’ll only mention this one thing about the game day posts because many times that’s when the worst comes out. There’s posts on there where we’ll have a rough start or a stalled drive or two and people are calling for the coaches’ heads.

I think most fans get that we’re not gonna win every game and that the jags game or any given Sunday game could happen once or possibly twice a year. Why not go into some games (I say some games because I get being nervous going into a game like the Chiefs, Ravens or another good team but against teams like the Steelers, Jets or another middling team?) confident and then if there is an “any given Sunday” or “Jags game” outcome then just chalk it up as such. We’re at a level where we can enjoy this team without having to worry about every negative, weakness or game.

We get critique but calling for the coach’s head when he’s the winningest coach in our history?

-We’re the best team in football (we know there may be a game or two where it’s any given Sunday)

-Someone in another post mentioned this already but we’ve beaten the #2 seed, #3 seed and #4 in our conference

-JA is one of the best, if not the best, QBs in the league right now

-We have the #1 defense and a top-three offense

-Our point differential is the highest in the league and the next team isn’t even close

-The average points we’ve beaten the Rams, the Titans, the Ravens and the Chiefs by is 15 points

-We’ve blown people out and have won close games

-We’re the #1 seed in the AFC, and again, the best team in football

What more do you need to be confident going into games? If you’re one of these fans, I’d love to hear from you. Do you just find something to be nervous about, do you just not have enough confidence in this team, are you just trolling or…?

I’d love to hear from a lot of Bills Mafia as well. Curious rant over.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Confidence to arrogance is a fine line. There really isn't very much at all that separates the 4th best team in the league from the 4th worst and among the best, there's even less.

Yea, we've run roughshod over a bunch of teams in September and October, great. We've been doing that for 3 years. I'm at the point where even though I enjoy the journey I know none of these games matter. My only hope is that they get out of it healthy. We already know they're going to the playoffs. The whole season is based on what this team does in January and February. The rest is meaningless in the grand scheme.

Unfortunately, this team has made several unforced errors when all the chips were down, and 45% of the time, the #1 seed doesn't win the Super Bowl. The saying "any given sunday" is very, very real. Ask the 2011 Giants. I think a healthy amount of skepticism is warranted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Any given Sunday. 

I honestly try to view all teams strengths without my homer glasses on. 
Matter of fact I try to play the opposing coach in my own head. What strategy can I use to beat Buffalo? 
We play Green Bay this week. I can’t really see any way their defense dominates, but maybe buffalo has a bad offensive game. 
Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon is a solid combo that has not even been close to expectations so far. Maybe they finally click, Their pass game has been a mess but Rodgers has had at minimum at least one 50 yard touchdown pass dropped every game I’ve watched. Maybe they connect. 
I also never get too high or too low with games. I feel that’s where a lot of the silly hot takes come from. The last 3 years I have felt confident Buffalo can beat anyone in the league. Expecting to win and freaking out because you lost a winnable game are much different reactions imo. 
Quick edit: Buffalo is one of the best teams in the league. I don’t like rankings. Too many variables and in the end it don’t matter what your rank is if you don’t win the Super Bowl. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

I think I can answer this one...

I grew up a Bills, Sabres and Cubs fan thanks to my parents bringing me up in a sports abuse household. My job is basically analytics, probabillities and market projections and I even do my own sports projections (for entertainment purposes only since I live in Texas). But, by 2016 I'd never seen ANY of my favorite teams win anything. The closest thing I had was the 4 Super Bowl losses and No Goal as the pinnacle of my fandom. 

However, in 2016 my numbers, Vegas betting lines and the overall mood of the baseball world was the Cubs were a juggernaut and odds on favorites to win the World Series, even though the probability was about 17%. So, watching that team, I missed maybe 2 games that year, was almost painful because of the weight of expectations that I'd never ever had before in my life and I had no idea how to handle it. I scrutinized every little thing that would go wrong, even though there was nothing that pointed to that team being anything but dominant. My whole world is numbers and the logic of math, and I was the most illogical person ever during that season, and the playoff were even worse. When the Cubs finally won that World Series it completely changed how I watched sports. I still get nervous and anxious, especially about the Bills, but it's not crippling like it was in 16, which is ridiculous to even thing about since I watched them 180 times. 

What I think is happening with Bills doom boners is that we've never had a team like this. The Kelly teams were never this good, I don't care what anyone says, it's just the truth. The fans are having a hard time not expecting the worst, especially because reaching the playoffs is almost a foregone conclusion, which is all many of us wanted to see and looked forward to every year until we got there. The weight of the expectations and the idea that winning the Super Bowl isn't easy and everything we've had let us down as fans the past 30 years makes a lot of people really anxious. I mean I still get anxious about Josh Allen even though I know if he's not the best QB in football he's the second best. 

If this team wins the Super Bowl I really hope the fans stay awesome, because that title turned 90% of Cubs fans (real fans not the people who started watching in October) into completely insufferable #######s. 

PS - Got the Bills at 30.5% to win the Super Bowl at this point in the year and Chiefs are 2nd at 16.4%. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's an old, old belief in Buffalo that their pro-teams will always fall short.  The Bills losing a game at home that would have sent them to the very first Super Bowl, Then the 4 SB's and now coming up short in the play-offs even with Josh.  The Sabre's lost in their only 2 Stanley Cup finals.

It's a habit of big games loses that makes Buffalo fans very skeptical.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't understand the OP point.  Are you saying the fan base should expect the team to go 17-0 and that any other thoughts on the season have no merit?  Only one team in NFL history went undefeated and only one other went undefeated in the regular season.  Having confidence and being realistic are two different things.  It is entirely reasonable to think we have a chance to win every game while also believing they will likely lose another game this season.  Believing those two things is not incongruent nor does it mean your are not a true fan.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I’ve been holding off on this post for a couple days but this facetious Twitter post got me off the fence. I know it’s hard to tell tone in a post so please

know this isn’t an angry or demeaning rant, it’s more of a curious rant.

Why do some fans choose not to have confidence in this team?

We’re literally the best team in the league and there’s still posts about “remember the Jags game”, “any given Sunday”, “this will be the game this team gets out of their  slump”, “we don’t have tape on this rookie QB so he could torch us”, etc., etc., etc.

Or, there may be posts that pick out one strength from the opposing team or one weakness from us and they’re worried about that instead of choosing to be confident in the nine strengths we do have going into that game.

I’ll only mention this one thing about the game day posts because many times that’s when the worst comes out. There’s posts on there where we’ll have a rough start or a stalled drive or two and people are calling for the coaches heads.

I think most fans get that we’re not gonna win every game and that the jags game or any given Sunday game could happen once or possibly twice a year. Why not go into some games (I say some games because all of us, me included, get nervous before games or even very nervous during games🤣😜) confident and then if there is an “any given Sunday” or “Jags game” outcome then just chalk it up as such. We’re at a level where we can enjoy this team without having to worry about every negative, weakness or game.

We get critique but calling for the coach’s head when he’s the winningest coach in our history?

-We’re the best team in football (and we know that there may be a game or two where it’s any given Sunday)

-Someone in another post mentioned this already but we’ve beaten #2 seed, #3 seed and #4 in our conference

-JA is one of the best, if not the best, QBs in the league right now

-We have the #1 defense and a top-three offense

-Our point differential is the highest in the league and the next team isn’t even close

-The average points we’ve beaten the Rams, the Titans, the Ravens and the Chiefs by is 15 points

-We’ve blown people out and have won close games

-We’re the #1 seed in the AFC, and again, the best team in football

What more do you need to be confident going into games? If you’re one of these fans, I’d love to hear from you. Do you just find something to be nervous about, do you just not have enough confidence in this team, are you just trolling or…?

I’d love to hear from a lot of Bills Mafia as well. Curious rant over.

Go Bills!

I made a post saying Rodgers and the Pack might put up a better fight than we think, but I still think we ultimately win. I have total confidence in the Bills. I’m just not fully convinced that Rodgers is finished like everyone else thinks. I mean we are coming off a Bye, healthier w/ Tre White back, and the Rodgers’ most trusted receiver is injured Randall Cobb. Of course we will win, but it truly is any given Sunday. Go watch the Jags game from last year. Anything can happen. The freakin Colts beat the Chiefs. I think it is dumb to overlook anybody 

• Like (+1) 1

Watch Four Falls again to understand. That 4th loss took the soul of the city with it. Only a win will bring it back.

Some fans want the team to fail because they're just haters and enjoy the suffering. Probably in their personal lives as well. 

I'm generally a very optimistic poster. I think we will win Sunday. But I also know we're going to see Rodgers' A game Sunday night. Whatever that is in 2022. 

The key is balance. As always. This board will be a very different place after we win the SB this year. And that change will be permanent. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.