Going to my first Bills home game

Hambone

I am born and raised in Kentucky, but have been a diehard Bills fan since the Super Bowl years. Over the last several years, I have turned my son into a diehard fan as well. For my sons graduation and my birthday, my wife got us tickets to the Vikings game. It will be my first Bills home game and my sons first Bills game ever. I have a few questions about the gameday experience i was hoping someone would answer for me.

1. If I wanted to Uber to the game, where is a good location to have them drop us off at to avoid as much traffic as possible. Somewhere within a reasonable walking distance. I would say a mile or so from the stadium. We are staying in East Aurora.

2. Where is Hammer's Lot? The parking lot maps I see just show lot numbers. We want to check out the tailgating experience and heard that it is one place I should check out. Also, are there any other lots I should visit? 

3. Is there any thing special I need to know about entering the stadium? Do you still have to have proof of Covid vaccine, or was that just a thing last year? 

4. As far as dressing for the game, what is the weather typically like mid-November. Is it usually colder or warmer then the temperature suggests in the stadium?

That is all I can think of for now. If there is anything else you think I may need to know, please let me know.

Thanks and Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 9

Hammer Lot is right across Abbott Road from the stadium, next to the RV/camper lot.  Google “Buffalo Bills parking lot maps” and there’s some good ones out there in the public domain.

Mid-November weather is a crapshoot… it could be 55 and sunny, or 20 and snowing. Or anything in between.

No vaccine cards or proof of vaccine required anymore.

Edited by RiotAct

Never went to a game without a packed vehicle.

A place to keep everything needed for November weather. Weather varying clothes/rain gear, supplies for and during multiple hours of pre/post game tailgating, somewhere to warm up while tailgating and an after game changing room. 

Mother Nature can be kind or cruel in November.

Edited by I am the egg man

I would not Uber to the game, personally.

Unless you want to be dropped off a mile from the stadium and walk the rest.

All traffic within a mile of the stadium gets very congested.

Photo I took of the traffic going to the game a few weeks ago:

961-DE8-A3-127-D-4-DC8-8-B52-686-B7445-C

Edited by Einstein

Weather wise November can be crazy. Anything from 60 and sunny to mid 20s and snowy.

Typically November can be pretty windy and along with March is probably the month we get the most frequent high wind warnings. 

I'd make sure to have hunter heat packs for your feet and hands if you need to wear gloves. Have attended numerous cold weather games and one of the worst feeling is between plays with your feet being so cold that all you can think about is how they feel like they are freezing and having that cold concrete come up through the bottom of your shoes.

After the first time I used some hunter heat packs in my boots and gloves I would never attend another cold weather game without them...made it so much better where I could actually not even worry about it between plays.

Also, my advice would be to get there early...tailgating here is second to nowhere so come have the full Bills experience.

Edited by Big Turk

Get there 4 hours before the game. Park on one of the lawns across the street from Hammer Lot. There’s plenty to do and see around the stadium. I would suggest lining up at the gates 15 minutes before they open, you’ll be able to get in and see the players warm up. If you wait til 12 to get in you could miss part of the game. If you’re on the tunnel side you’ll get to see a lot of the Bills players. Diggs throws the ball around with fans.

My wife only ever liked the Yankees. She made fun of me for being a bills fan and liking football. She never understood why Western New York was obsessed with football and didn’t understand my fandemonium  I took her to the Tennessee game. We sat in the 2nd row, got on TV, saw Bruce and Thurman up close, caught a football from a titans player and the bills won. Now she’s a bigger fan than I am. 

Edited by Bills!Win!
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

I am born and raised in Kentucky, but have been a diehard Bills fan since the Super Bowl years. Over the last several years, I have turned my son into a diehard fan as well. For my sons graduation and my birthday, my wife got us tickets to the Vikings game. It will be my first Bills home game and my sons first Bills game ever. I have a few questions about the gameday experience i was hoping someone would answer for me.

1. If I wanted to Uber to the game, where is a good location to have them drop us off at to avoid as much traffic as possible. Somewhere within a reasonable walking distance. I would say a mile or so from the stadium. We are staying in East Aurora.

2. Where is Hammer's Lot? The parking lot maps I see just show lot numbers. We want to check out the tailgating experience and heard that it is one place I should check out. Also, are there any other lots I should visit? 

3. Is there any thing special I need to know about entering the stadium? Do you still have to have proof of Covid vaccine, or was that just a thing last year? 

4. As far as dressing for the game, what is the weather typically like mid-November. Is it usually colder or warmer then the temperature suggests in the stadium?

That is all I can think of for now. If there is anything else you think I may need to know, please let me know.

Thanks and Go Bills!!!

Hambone, have a great time.  I’m sure you’ll check the weather that day.  I’ve heard Uber is a nightmare so consider a rental.  If alcohol is a must then Uber just or be safe, but hang at the big tree for a couple hours so you can easily Uber.  You’ll be fine.

Get you’re MT and for me Blasdell Pizza.  There is great fine dining, but there is everywhere else too.  Beef on Weck is a must.

9 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Get there 4 hours before the game. Park on one of the lawns across the street from Hammer Lot. There’s plenty to do and see around the stadium. I would suggest lining up at the gates 15 minutes before they open, you’ll be able to get in and see the players warm up. If you wait til 12 to get in you could miss part of the game. If you’re on the tunnel side you’ll get to see a lot of the Bills players. Diggs throws the ball around with fans.

My wife only ever liked the Yankees. She made fun of me for being a bills fan and liking football. She never understood why Western New York was obsessed with football and didn’t understand my fandemonium  I took her to the Tennessee game. We sat in the 2nd row, got on TV, saw Bruce and Thurman up close, caught a football from a titans player and the bills won. Now she’s a bigger fan than I am. 

that is awesome!  Were you in the tunnel

end zone by chance?

Came across this beauty a fews weeks back. Everything you need to know about attending a Bills game.       https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/9/4/22647817/rumblings-guide-to-mastering-your-first-buffalo-bills-home-game

My recommendation if you are going to UBER.  Leave early, very early and go home at least one to two hours after the game ends.  I love walking through the lots, talking with people, checking out the vendors on Abbott, the Bills store and of course the Hammer Lot.  Post game, head to the Hammer lot, people are there long after the game or go to Danny's South for a pop or two

Weather, it Buffalo and its Nov.  Be prepared, the biggest killer in Nov is rain and wind.  Based on where you are seating, the upper deck and end zone seats are metal and can be bone chilling.....have fun and go Bills 

Edited by shane nelson

25 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Scoreboard side. Next time I got im going to sit tunnel side up close. I’m thinking either Miami game or one of the playoff games 

Nice!  That’s where my wife and I were (Section 102 Row 1).  Awesome seats for feeling like you’re “in the action”.  Not so good for determining how much a play went for, though, especially on the other side of midfield 😜

35 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hambone, have a great time.  I’m sure you’ll check the weather that day.  I’ve heard Uber is a nightmare so consider a rental.  If alcohol is a must then Uber just or be safe, but hang at the big tree for a couple hours so you can easily Uber.  You’ll be fine.

Get you’re MT and for me Blasdell Pizza.  There is great fine dining, but there is everywhere else too.  Beef on Weck is a must.

There is also a shuttle bus that leaves from UB South Station from what I have heard...maybe someone else could chime in about that?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.