How valuable is Hyde really?

Einstein

Since Hyde has been out, our defense has given up 16 points per game. More impressively, they gave up only 20 to the high powered Chiefs.

🥵 I think you can make the argument that the Bills would have beaten the Dolphins with Hyde playing - that 3rd and 22(?) pass to Hill likely doesn’t happen. But then again, it may not have happened with Poyer playing. They were both out that game.

👉  I am certainly not saying we are better without Hyde… but I am asking, how much worse are we really? And does extending (or going into a contract year at $11M cap hit) worth not having a slight drop in quality?

Could we trade him for a draft asset?

💰 We have a potential “out” with his contact this off-season. It would save us about $4 million in cap space ($11M cap savings minus $7M in dead cap).

Hamlin & Johnson combined account for 1/5th of Hyde’s cap hit next year.

Poyer is 115 days younger than Hyde. If we had to pick one safety to keep, I think I may lean toward Poyer over Hyde.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Dislike 8

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Since Hyde has been out, our defense has given up 16 points per game. More impressively, they gave up only 20 to the high powered Chiefs.

🥵 I think you can make the argument that the Bills would have beaten the Dolphins with Hyde playing - that 3rd and 22(?) pass to Hill likely doesn’t happen. But then again, it may not have happened with Poyer playing. They were both out that game.

👉  I am certainly not saying we are better without Hyde… but I am asking, how much worse are we really? And does extending (or going into a contract year at $11M cap hit) worth not having a slight drop in quality?

💰 We have a potential “out” with his contact this off-season. It would save us about $4 million in cap space ($11M cap savings minus $7M in dead cap).

Poyer is 115 days younger than Hyde. If we had to pick one safety to keep, I think I may lean toward Poyer over Hyde.

Go Bills.

Wait, you want to trade a guy missing the rest of the season due to neck surgery? That should go well. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wait, you want to trade a guy missing the rest of the season due to neck surgery? That should go well. 

I asked if anyone thought it was possible, yes.

I have no doubt he will play next year for someone.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I asked if anyone thought it was possible, yes.

I have no doubt he will play next year for someone.

You would get pennies on the dollar for what he’s worth. 

If I’m selling, I won’t want a bag of used balls for an All Pro level player. 

If I’m a buyer, I’m paying VERY little for a a guy coming off of neck surgery. Should be fine, but kind of a big deal. 

I sit put, at least until we know more. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

You would get pennies on the dollar for what he’s worth. 

If I’m selling, I won’t want a bag of used balls for an All Pro level player. 

If I’m a buyer, I’m paying VERY little for a a guy coming off of neck surgery. Should be fine, but kind of a big deal. 

I sit put, at least until we know more. 

I respect where you’re coming from.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Go Bills.

This is a good point. It is becoming clearer to me that the scheme we run here may have contributed to the success of our safeties (and corners.). 

hyde and Poyer are great, and they are always around the ball And are very opportunistic.  But you have to remember that both these guys were late draft picks and mostly backups until they got here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tre White hasn’t played either…does that mean he’s not valuable?

We have to wait and see if the defense improves with his arrival.

If it doesn’t, well…

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is a good point. It is becoming clearer to me that the scheme we run here may have contributed to the success of our safeties (and corners.). 

hyde and Poyer are great, and they are always around the ball And are very opportunistic.  But you have to remember that both these guys were late draft picks and mostly backups until they got here. 

Thank you.

Edited by Einstein
  • Disagree 1