Aaron Rodgers … Leadership for Dummies

CorkScrewHill

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

"We have had some success in prime time games lately....we're the underdog which is a new spot for us" (to my eyes, both said with a "I know better" smirk)

AJ Hawk: "what was Washington doing...I give them credit defensively, what were they doing to give you a tough time for your offense?"

Rodgers: "Nothing"

goes on to say that Washington has good players but "We made so many mental errors, so many mental mistakes...we're not used to playing like that".  Says that every week they have double-digit errors.

I didn't once hear him use the word "I" in a context of taking responsibility for the loss.  It came across to me as detached and disinterested.

And again, maybe just to my ears, but I thought he threw his OL and his WR under the bus.

For me it's both the terrible blaming of his teammates (really bad form for public comments whether it's true or not) AND the complete unwillingness to acknowledge anything the opponent did. The most arrogant QBs I've rooted against, including Marino, Brady, and now (recent entry) Rodgers, go down yelling at their teammates. It's so delightfully reassuring. Not sure if the latter two can course correct as they have in the past, given their expanded hubris. Never count them out, but don't be afraid to enjoy the current drop-off. They're a-holes.  

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yes, I think it is.  You aren't finger pointing at a particular player, true. 

But do you really think Rodgers is including himself with those players who are making mistakes and shouldn't be playing?  I don't.  He's pointing at his OL and his skill players.  He made that pretty clear later on in the interview.

YMMV

I had to dig deep for it, but this was part of the show (emphasis added)

“This was my highest graded game by [quarterback coach Tom Clements], which people may be surprised to hear,” Rodgers said. "We obviously didn't execute, a couple drops, a couple missed throws. But we're behind the sticks ... Way too many penalties, way too many drops, not enough rushing attempts because we were behind the sticks the whole time."

It would be on thing if a rookie QB was saying this, but A A Ron is a 38 year old 4xMVP and 1x SB winner. The guy has been one of the very best QBs over the last 15 years. I think it's fair to say the guy knows what he's talking about and has earned the right to criticize teammates. 

Ha whoops, I guess this was the proper thread for the Rodgers bashing. I put my Rodgers hate in the guess the score thread.

Rodgers is going out like a somehow more annoying Marino. He will not win another ring. He has nobody to throw to. He looks bad himself. All of the fawning and #1 in the game BS from the "analytics gurus" will mean nothing when this guy retires with a single ring, a bunch of bad stories about his personality, and a whole lot of what ifs.

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Rodgers is one of the worst leaders in the NFL and it has been a huge problem through his career.

He’s Jay Cutler with more talent. That’s what he has always been.

Agree with this. He has always been a me guy and not a we guy. Has it taken titles off the board? Hard to say. But Aaron Rodgers has been a walking ego for as long as he has been an NFL starting QB. He was just the most talented guy in the league for about a 10 year stretch too.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

You understand my point, the rings alone don’t count for anything other than a kids game, played by adults for money, 

No the point is that his players were motivated by Brady, Rodgers's are not. 

Jordan famously got on his players--in games and in practice (Phil Jackson certainly didn't). This helped make them a team that won 6 rings as well.  I bet not one of them called him or even felt like he was acting like "a tool". 

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2022 at 10:23 PM, BigAl2526 said:

Aaron Rodgers is one of the most talented QBs in the NFL.  He may be top 5 all time, at least top 10. He's also got a history of demonstrating arrogance.  I think Green Bay fans and teammates recognize and to a degree accept his arrogance even if they might not like it.  He's given Green Bay one Super Bowl win and a competitive team for years.  As a Bills fan, Iam glad we have Josh Allen as the Bills QB.  I think his talent is at least comparable, he is a great team mate and he treats fans better than Aaron Rodgers ever dreamed of doing.  Add to that the fact that he has far more of his career ahead of him than Rodgers does at this point.  I think Green Bay's run with Rodgers is almost over if not already history.  Buffalo's run with Josh Allen is still in its early stages.  Just in time for me as a septuagenarian, to enjoy some great years as a Bills fan before I go on to better things.

I too think he is a top ALL TIME QB. But his leadership does suck. Yet I can also understand why he is POed. GB had seemed to be hellbent on not keeping or trading away guys he liked to play with, and don't help him much in draft picks either. As much as an arrogant douche he can be, he is a multiple time league MVP, including the last 2 years. They wasted their chance to win a SB with how they do things. They were successful because they had Favre and Rodgers, not because they handled things so well.

Basically, there's lots of blame to go around. I actually think Rodgers wanted out but then said F it and took the money. He's out of it mentally, not as dedicated. While I understand his frustrations, and I do, since he's gonna retire soon, he might as well be Mr Positive to end on a good note....

On 10/25/2022 at 11:24 PM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

“This was my highest graded game by [quarterback coach Tom Clements], which people may be surprised to hear,” Rodgers said. "We obviously didn't execute, a couple drops, a couple missed throws. But we're behind the sticks ... Way too many penalties, way too many drops, not enough rushing attempts because we were behind the sticks the whole time."

It would be on thing if a rookie QB was saying this, but A A Ron is a 38 year old 4xMVP and 1x SB winner. The guy has been one of the very best QBs over the last 15 years. I think it's fair to say the guy knows what he's talking about and has earned the right to criticize teammates. 

Nah. People would rather bash him. There’s usually another agenda for the hate. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I too think he is a top ALL TIME QB. But his leadership does suck. Yet I can also understand why he is POed. GB had seemed to be hellbent on not keeping or trading away guys he liked to play with, and don't help him much in draft picks either. As much as an arrogant douche he can be, he is a multiple time league MVP, including the last 2 years. They wasted their chance to win a SB with how they do things. They were successful because they had Favre and Rodgers, not because they handled things so well.

Basically, there's lots of blame to go around. I actually think Rodgers wanted out but then said F it and took the money. He's out of it mentally, not as dedicated. While I understand his frustrations, and I do, since he's gonna retire soon, he might as well be Mr Positive to end on a good note....

Once Rodgers is gone, Green Bay will be a perennial 3-4 win bottom feeder team. Free agents only went there (and it was rare because the team doesn't spend $$ in free agency) because of Favre and Rodgers.

I've never seen an organization seemingly hellbent on wasting a top QB talent. Drafting Jordan Love with a 1st round pick in the middle of a SB window is just plain terrible management. 

That team has been relying on the QB for 25 years. 

I really didn't get Rodgers re-signing there last offseason. It seemed like the 2 sides were done, but Green Bay wants to push him to retire so he doesn't go somewhere else and win. It's just an odd approach. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I really didn't get Rodgers re-signing there last offseason. It seemed like the 2 sides were done, but Green Bay wants to push him to retire so he doesn't go somewhere else and win. It's just an odd approach. 

Rodgers had 2 more years on his contract before he got this $150M 3-year steal.  Green Bay management was foolish to

let him force that on them and I said it at the time.  Paying him $60M more in cash next season is the height of stupidity.

Rodgers never should have demanded that much, and GB never should have signed it.

Jordan Love is on his last year of his rookie contract next season, and I want to see what GB does about that!

He hasn't played enough to warrant a 5th year option, but they will have to or lose him to free agency.

If they option him, it will be under the "Fifth-year option for players who do not meet any criterion", which will be just over $20M.

Love has started (and lost) one game in his career.  Will they try to option him and trade him?  Good luck if no teams wants to trade,

they will have even less money for other players!

I see Green Bay in the basement in the coming years and I will just laugh at their stupidity.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Rodgers had 2 more years on his contract before he got this $150M 3-year steal.  Green Bay management was foolish to

let him force that on them and I said it at the time.  Paying him $60M more in cash next season is the height of stupidity.

Rodgers never should have demanded that much, and GB never should have signed it.

Jordan Love is on his last year of his rookie contract next season, and I want to see what GB does about that!

He hasn't played enough to warrant a 5th year option, but they will have to or lose him to free agency.

If they option him, it will be under the "Fifth-year option for players who do not meet any criterion", which will be just over $20M.

Love has started (and lost) one game in his career.  Will they try to option him and trade him?  Good luck if no teams wants to trade,

they will have even less money for other players!

I see Green Bay in the basement in the coming years and I will just laugh at their stupidity.

THREE CONSECUTIVE DECADES of having a first-ballot HOF QB and just two Lombardis.  That almost sounds impossible.

• Agree 2

On 10/25/2022 at 3:59 PM, BullBuchanan said:

are josh and pat not also doing #1?

Yea they are getting top qb play but they don't point fingers saying the missed plays are on the 'other's players even if it was obviously the case in instances they basically will take responsibility for miscues before they put it on teammates. They may privately talk to an individual to try to sort out any issues but won't publicly do it.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

THREE CONSECUTIVE DECADES of having a first-ballot HOF QB and just two Lombardis.  That almost sounds impossible.

GB fans have had a long ride, but you are right, they should have had more championships.

GB started Rodgers in his 4th year of his rookie deal.  If they would have not signed Rodgers to his extension Jordan Love should be

starting in his 3rd year.  They should have traded Rodgers for whatever they could have got for him during the off season.

If they hit on Love, they could have continued into the 4th decade and maybe won another.  I just don't see Love wanting to stay in GB now.

It looks like they screwed the pooch.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/26/2022 at 1:24 AM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It isn't that he criticizes his teammates that make him a terrible leader.  It's that he does so publicly to try to get the miscues corrected.  A good leader would take aside any of the players he's talking about and figure out a way to get on the same page with them.  Of course that takes a bit of work and seems Rodgers doesn't feel he's compensated well enough to put in any additional effort.   

8 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea they are getting top qb play but they don't point fingers saying the missed plays are on the 'other's players even if it was obviously the case in instances they basically will take responsibility for miscues before they put it on teammates. They may privately talk to an individual to try to sort out any issues but won't publicly do it.

And don't think the players don't appreciate this.  Listen to Dion Dawkins impassioned defense of Allen after the Jets loss when Allen's presser started "It's hard to win in the NFL when your QB plays like *****".  Basically said Josh was saying that to protect them, he'll take it all on himself when it isn't all on him, we win as a team and we lose as a team, everyone has to look at themselves and what they can do better.  He was polite, but impassioned and I was left with the clear impression that anyone who tried to diss off Josh within earshot of DDawk might just get put in a box.

The guys know when they've screwed up and cost the team a play or a series or a score or something that could have turned the game, and they appreciate it that anything Josh has to say to them about it, will be said in private or said by the coaches.

A QB calling out his OL or his receivers or his OC in an interview or presser IMO is a weak-sauce substitute for good coaching and trust and communication inside the locker room.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Green Bay has had a Manning/Brady level QB for 30 years and has 2 rings to show for it. 

That is piss poor management. 

I mean, from the perspective of NE and their 11 freakin' Superbowl appearances and 6 freakin' Superbowl wins, Sure.

But from the perspective of a Bills fan...be honest, wouldn't you pretty much sell off Leftie for those two wins?

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

GB fans have had a long ride, but you are right, they should have had more championships.

GB started Rodgers in his 4th year of his rookie deal.  If they would have not signed Rodgers to his extension Jordan Love should be

starting in his 3rd year.  They should have traded Rodgers for whatever they could have got for him during the off season.

If they hit on Love, they could have continued into the 4th decade and maybe won another.  I just don't see Love wanting to stay in GB now.

It looks like they screwed the pooch.

Yeah, Love is gonna Garappolo his way outta there.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.