How in the hell did Nathaniel Hackett become an NFL head coach?

eball

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

This is a common failure for any industry though. It’s so common to see people hired into a leadership role because of their knowledge/skill doing X job very well. However, like you mention, leading a group of people is very different from actually doing the work. This failure in hiring the right person (people leader) definitely isn’t exclusive to the NFL. I’ve seen it all the time in my career (construction). 

The Peter Principle: People in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Spot on, eball.  I've been asking the same about Kliff Kingsbury since the day he was hired.  He was an absolute failure as a college coach and had ZERO NFL experience in any capacity.  It's insane.

Same deal. Kingsbury got to manage Mahomes at Texas Tech so therefore he MUST be a good coach. Plus, McVay worked out fine so hiring a young coach who presided over an electric college offense must have been really appealing. No actual analysis of his success or history, mind you. 

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Same deal. Kingsbury got to manage Mahomes at Texas Tech so therefore he MUST be a good coach. Plus, McVay worked out fine so hiring a young coach who presided over an electric college offense must have been really appealing. No actual analysis of his success or history, mind you. 

McVay was young, but he never coached college. He was tied to Kyle Shanahan's offense (father, HC Mike Shanahan).

And it should not be forgotten that Sean McVay's grandfather was Jack McVay, Head Coach of the Giants in the 70s, and GM for the 49ers through the 5 Super Bowl run in the 80s-90s.

So yes, lots of nepotism. The issue being that nepotism rooted in a time when the league was only hiring white coaches.

This is how systemic racism gains and keeps momentum. To many outside observers taking things at face-value today, you could certainly say "This is merely nepotism!". And that is mostly true. But like it or not, those strings of nepotism go all the way back to times of racist hiring. So still racism at the core of the problem.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is why I think the NFL is approaching the Rooney Rule the wrong way. If you have a strong nepotism policy, you won’t have to worry about the Rooney Rule or the lack of minority candidates. 

I guarantee that if your dad was some sort of coach in the NFL, you would (with zero experience) be able to get some type of coaching job (at least an entry level one) in the NFL tomorrow.

The NFL has a serious nepotism problem. 

Issue isn't a lack of diversity in the lower coaching ranks though...

5 hours ago, eball said:

Seriously.  The ONLY answer is nepotism and the old white boy network.  He has done literally nothing in his NFL coaching career to suggest he was prepared or competent to be an NFL head coach, and that is being displayed for all to see.

S-h-i-t like this is why Brian Flores' lawsuit is a legitimate concern for the NFL.

Disgusting.

I enjoy the majority of your posts here but come on man.  

• Like (+1) 1

Good question. He must be a persuasive interview. 

Meanwhile, his team continues to plummet in the power puffs:

1. Eagles
2. Bills
3. Chiefs
4. Bengals
5. Cowboys
6. Giants
7. Vikings
8. Ravens
9. Dolphins
10. Jets
11. Titans
12. Seahawks
13. 49ers
14. Chargers
15. Rams
16. Packers
17. Bucs
18. Cardinals
19. Colts
20. Bears
21. Patriots
22. Commanders
23. Raiders
24. Falcons
25. Jaguars
26. Browns
27. Saints
28. Panthers
29. Steelers
30. Broncos
31. Lions
32. Texans

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sure, technically it is more a nepotism issue nowadays than someone in a 2022 NFL Front Office saying "No Blacks".

However, for a loooong time the NFL avoided hiring black coaches. And now, we have a nepotism issue where teams favor hiring the sons/grandsons of coaches from when they DID say "No Blacks". So guess who isnt included in those nepotism hires? Outside races.

So it is indirectly and inadvertently a race issue.

Nuance.

If it's a race issue, then it's a gender issue and a sexual orientation issue too.

Serious lack of gay coaches, don't you think? Big time lack of female coaches as well.

I don't see anyone standing on the soap box for those issues. Meanwhile, we do have black coaches, we do reward franchises who hire black coaches, and we do force all organizations to at least interview black coaches. That's progress.

The leap from "Nathaniel Hackett is a bad coach and nepotism is a problem" to "nobody wants black coaches" is just way too far for me and I'd say it's way too far for any reasonable person who isn't trying to make every issue a race issue. Brian Flores was a great coach, but he was hired by a bad owner and he SUED his own team. Even after suing his own team, rightly or wrongly, he was hired again. That is not being black balled and it's a terrible example.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Hackett got a job and Frazier didn’t. You have to wonder what the barrier for entry is. Previous coaching experience, coordinator success? 

It really makes you wonder who was selling Hackett to teams? Maybe he just had the interview of a lifetime.

They wanted an OC. That's where most of the head coaching jobs are coming from nowadays. You could plausibly argue that Hackett was just nominal in that position, but mostly they thought they were getting Rodgers when they hired Hackett. When that didn't work out, they compounded the mistake by trading a boatload of picks and players for a washed up qb and tripled down by paying up on a huge extension.

3 hours ago, wppete said:

It’s mind boggling he is a HC and Frazier isn’t. What more does a franchise want then what they can get hiring Frazier? He has everything, playing experience, HC experience, DC experience and top defense. He is a respected guy, a leader and can be a face of the franchise. 

Teams want young and offensive coordinators - the 2 things Leslie is not.

Older Defensive HCs are for holding down the fort until you can get a QB - see Houston.

Leslie should be everything teams want in a HC - especially with his embrace of analytics and his processing of teams and teaching and letting his position coaches coach, but very unlikely he ever gets a shot.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

See Kyle Shanahan, Rex/Rob Ryan

Kyle Shanahan is pretty good coach. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Only Bills fans knew he would flop. He was a legitimate candidate that Broncos fans were excited about.

Unfortunately, that's just how it goes. Teams latch on to the first guy they find who has a little success (regardless of the reason) and can string together a proper sentence in an interview.

Agree

Leslie Fraizer should get another chance as a head coach. For sure i'd hire him over Hackett.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

He must be an amazing interview. 

I do know he gets props for a lot of his creativity in play designs. I think that's one of the things that have kept him around for so long. But it doesn't look like he knows the first thing about managing a team as a head coach. I was astounded when he was announced as their hire. I've been saying it since that day that the guy would be one and done. And now he might not even make it one full season. 

Every year a team gets snookered into hiring the "brilliant offensive mind OC" from another team and somehow they always overlook the fact that the OC had an all world QB playing for him. Maybe they thought Russ would get back to form but he's just been flat out bad. 

Denver keeps spinning their tires in the mud like so many teams do. They have some talent, they have some pieces on both sides and they keep believe they're just a QB away. They probably need to have a full on fire sale and rebuild. I'll take one Courtland Sutton, please. 

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

If it's a race issue, then it's a gender issue and a sexual orientation issue too.

Serious lack of gay coaches, don't you think? Big time lack of female coaches as well.

I don't see anyone standing on the soap box for those issues. Meanwhile, we do have black coaches, we do reward franchises who hire black coaches, and we do force all organizations to at least interview black coaches. That's progress.

The leap from "Nathaniel Hackett is a bad coach and nepotism is a problem" to "nobody wants black coaches" is just way too far for me and I'd say it's way too far for any reasonable person who isn't trying to make every issue a race issue. Brian Flores was a great coach, but he was hired by a bad owner and he SUED his own team. Even after suing his own team, rightly or wrongly, he was hired again. That is not being black balled and it's a terrible example.

I don't think it is too far for a reasonable person to go. White coaches still have more "ins" to the old boys network that runs NFL teams than black coaches do. 

The question isn't even so much as how does Nathaniel Hackett get a HC job.... how does he get three runs as an OC in the NFL with such a limited track record of discernable success? He gets them because his dad opens doors for him. Whereas there is a lack of black coaches getting those doors opened.

The reason the hiring of black coaches has dropped off is that invariably when they were hired they were defensive guys - many of them out of the Dungy tree - and the league has pivoted so far (too far in my mind) towards hiring HCs from the offensive side of the ball. Now unless you can come up with some logical reason why black coaches don't coach offense you get back to nepotism not giving them the opportunity to do so. Excluding running back coaches (who seem disproportionately to stay as career running back cosches rather than coaching other spots and potentially moving on to coordinator posts) I'd be interested to know the number of black offensive position coaches vs the number of black defensive position coaches. 

As for do we have enough female coaches or gay coaches, the issue is primarily about whether coaching reflects and represents those playing the game. Which is why those things are lesser issues. We might have had gay NFL Head Coaches... but we don't know. We have certainly had more than one gay player. The sexuality issue is less one of representation and more one pf visibility at this point.

6 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Denver keeps spinning their tires in the mud like so many teams do. They have some talent, they have some pieces on both sides and they keep believe they're just a QB away. They probably need to have a full on fire sale and rebuild. I'll take one Courtland Sutton, please. 

They are a QB and a coach away. But they are not much else away.

• Like (+1) 1

Nepotism, who you know, whatever you want to call it. It’s all good because that’s just how the freaking business world works. The NFL is part of that and then some. It really is a pretty insulated and exclusive group. The issue with Hackett is he’s living off his father’s name without actually having much success on his own. He’s just not a very good OC, much less an NFL head coach. No issue with hiring who you want , IF they’re actually good at the job. 

I have to agree. I mean, I know the reasons why:

Everyone wants the next offensive guru

Connections

Recency bias

Everyone wants the next Sean McVay, which is why teams have pillaged his coaching tree. Which is why Zac Taylor, Matt LeFleur and Brandon Staley have jobs, as underwhelming they have been in those roles. 

Hackett is the culmination of a lot of the worst tendencies of the league.

• Like (+1) 1

"Nathaniel Hackett, Denver Broncos

It has been a crap show all season for Nathaniel Hackett and his bizarre decision-making and it just got even worse in Week 5 when the Broncos lost 12-9 to the Colts in overtime. For a team that has quarterback Russell Wilson and talented young players like Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, and Javonte Williams, you have to wonder what is going wrong for the Broncos, especially considering their schedule so far has been relatively easy. Hackett is looking like a one-and-done coach for the Broncos."

https://en.as.com/nfl/which-nfl-head-coaches-are-on-the-hot-seat-entering-week-6-n/

Rumor has it... that should the 2-5 Broncos fall on their face against the 2-5 Jacksonville Jags in London...

Apparently, new Denver ownerships is downright embarrassed about the teams recent decline and are thinking about replacing the current HC with their DC who is doing a darn good job with the defense despite the failing offense. Ejiro Evero

Denver has a bye week after this weeks game and changes could be coming.

Edited by Nihilarian

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.