College Football Playoff & Conference Championships - Projections

ArdmoreRyno

I heard the rankings that I quoted on Sirius ESPNU.

Did you read my post? I clearly said that I don't think that Alabama will or should get in barring miracles. I fully understand that they have to allow lesser teams in there to maintain fan interest, thus TCU and USC.

Do tell me, what chance do you give TCU or USC to beat Georgia? :) 

46 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Almost none. But the regular season has to matter. It comes back to the chat we have had before Bill... the current structure is simply not fit for purpose. And the answer to that problem needs to be more fundamental reform and not a 12 team playoff which is the worst of all worlds. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I heard the rankings that I quoted on Sirius ESPNU.

Did you read my post? I clearly said that I don't think that Alabama will or should get in barring miracles. I fully understand that they have to allow lesser teams in there to maintain fan interest, thus TCU and USC.

Yea, I did read your post and I never said you claimed Bama was going to the Playoffs. I'm questioning your SOS numbers, which as I figured...  you pulled out of your rear or didn't really listen to what they said. 

ESPN has TCU #1 in SOS. You can look it up. Not just something you heard on "Sirius ESPNU", lol. Your evidence is your ears. I can post the link to mine. "Ohio State's schedule ws ranked 69th in terms of difficulty, whereas Alabama's was ranked 9th" Hell, tOSU's SOS is FOURTH per ESPN. Why can't you just admit you were wrong? 

I'd give TCU about a 25% chance to beat UGA. Who knows. I didn't think an average Kentucky team would stay so close to Georgia like they did. UK missed a short FG with like 5 minutes left if I remember correctly... should have been 16-9 late in the 4Q. I didn't think LSU would lost to freakin' A&M. 

Here's the thing: YOU DON'T KNOW EITHER. That's why we need a playoff and even more so, an expanded playoff... to answer these questions. Not just "SEC and no one else matters" crap that you say. 

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Yea, I did read your post and I never said you claimed Bama was going to the Playoffs. I'm questioning your SOS numbers, which as I figured...  you pulled out of your rear or didn't really listen to what they said. 

ESPN has TCU #1 in SOS. You can look it up. Not just something you heard on "Sirius ESPNU", lol. Your evidence is your ears. I can post the link to mine. "Ohio State's schedule ws ranked 69th in terms of difficulty, whereas Alabama's was ranked 9th" Hell, tOSU's SOS is FOURTH per ESPN. Why can't you just admit you were wrong? 

I'd give TCU about a 25% chance to beat UGA. Who knows. I didn't think an average Kentucky team would stay so close to Georgia like they did. UK missed a short FG with like 5 minutes left if I remember correctly... should have been 16-9 late in the 4Q. I didn't think LSU would lost to freakin' A&M. 

Here's the thing: YOU DON'T KNOW EITHER. That's why we need a playoff and even more so, an expanded playoff... to answer these questions. Not just "SEC and no one else matters" crap that you say. 

I might be wrong. If so, sorry. I posted what I heard. Still, the thought of TCU  having a tough schedule is a joke. There are probably 6 or 7 better teams in the SEC. 

If Georgia plays TCU they will dog walk them. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I might be wrong. If so, sorry. I posted what I heard. Still, the thought of TCU  having a tough schedule is a joke. There are probably 6 or 7 better teams in the SEC. 

If Georgia plays TCU they will dog walk them. 

"There are probably 6 or 7 better teams in the SEC." You lost ALL creditability with his moronic statement. What a dumb thing to say.

TEAM A played, and beat, 9 bowl eligible teams this season. Five of whom were ranked at the time. 

TEAM B has played 7 bowl eligible teams this season. Five of those ranked and finished 3-2 vs those teams.

TEAM C has played 7 bowl eligible teams, beat 2 ranked teams

TEAM D has played 7 bowl eligible teams, beat 2 ranked teams

TEAM E has played 6 bowl eligible teams, 3 ranked teams and went 2-1 vs those teams

Big XII recently (vs power 5 conferences)

SEC: 5-2 overall the past 3 years, 4-0 in bowl games

Big 10: 4-4 overall the past 3 years (2-0 this year), 0-1 in bowl games

Pac12: 7-0 the last 3 years (13-2 the last 5 season), 3-0 in bowl games (4-0 L4 years)

ACC: 4-4 the last 3 years, 1-1 in bowl games

20-10 vs Power 5 teams out of conference

8-2 vs Power 5 teams in bowl games

You need to stop with the Big XII hate my man. 

TEAM A: TCU

TEAM B: Alabama

TEAM C : UGA

TEAM D : Michigan 

TEAM E: USC

You just won't stop with these meaningless bowl games, will you? I don't even want Bryce Young to play in a bowl game this season. I would rather see young players get reps at QB and other positions. I guess this is because I am an Alabama Fan and can understand true success. Alabama wins titles, not some bowl games with nothing really to gain. 

You otoh, as a fan of a so-so at best team need lower forms of success to cling to but that's ok; I suppose I would be the same way if the team I care about ranged from being a bottom feeder to just plain OK.

It's all good. Keep grasping at straws. I have been doing this as a Bills fan for decades. I actually have watched the scoreboard a couple of times hoping (for your sake) that OK St. would win a game. You of course are free to disbelieve this. I want you to see how good it feels when the team you support wins a championship. Maybe we will both experience this with the Bills this year. 👍🏈

Edited by Bill from NYC

14 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You just won't stop with these meaningless bowl games, will you? I don't even want Bryce Young to play in a bowl game this season. I would rather see young players get reps at QB and other positions. I guess this is because I am an Alabama Fan and can understand true success. Alabama wins titles, not some bowl games with nothing really to gain. 

You otoh, as a fan of a so-so at best team need lower forms of success to cling to but that's ok; I suppose I would be the same way if the team I care about ranged from being a bottom feeder to just plain OK.

It's all good. Keep grasping at straws. I have been doing this as a Bills fan for decades. I actually have watched the scoreboard a couple of times hoping (for your sake) that OK St. would win a game. You of course are free to disbelieve this. I want you to see how good it feels when the team you support wins a championship. Maybe we will both experience this with the Bills this year. 👍🏈

Simple don't lose two games and don't beat a 4 loss Texas team by 1 point, an unranked Ole Miss and Texas A&M barely, and your best wins are literally Mississippi and Mississippi State.

All that junk your talking about TCU, they beat about 6 more teams similar to Miss and Miss State. They already beat the # 10 team, beat that same Texas team by 7 instead of 1 in the same stadium. We can talk about how on paper Alabama would crush this team or that team but they never showed it on the field. Thats where it matter not whatever concoction is in the your brain about what makes sense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Don't think you really get it dude. There are only 3-4 teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and UGA. 3 or 4 teams like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC in basketball. You act like a snobby OU fan... that you're better than EVERYONE else because you root for a team that has a history of success. It's EASY to root for those teams. Takes no effort to suffer through a heartbreaking season (last year or 2011 for Oklahoma State for example in football). 

You remind me of Okies around here (term I'm proud of BTW) in the 80's... root for OU and the Dallas Cowboys. Just root for the team who wins. Bandwagon fans. 

You Bama fans are just better than everyone else I guess. A program who had to drag themselves out of hell after getting the 2nd worst NCAA punishment in history... going from 0-10-1 to a program who has the 10th most overall wins the past 15 years isn't "so-so at best". You have a f'ed up idea of what a "bottom feeder" is dude. 

Explain how a program who is 145-61 (v 193-27 for Alabama), 10th in the country for win/loss and winning percent is a bottom feeder??? New Mexico State at 46-137 and a 25% win rate? That's a bottom feeder. Not a team who plays for the conference title virtually every season (along with OU). Your mindset is so annoying. Alabama is the New England of college football. Think they're better than everyone else so everyone else is wrong and can go to hell. 

30 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Simple don't lose two games and don't beat a 4 loss Texas team by 1 point, an unranked Ole Miss and Texas A&M barely, and your best wins are literally Mississippi and Mississippi State.

All that junk your talking about TCU, they beat about 6 more teams similar to Miss and Miss State. They already beat the # 10 team, beat that same Texas team by 7 instead of 1 in the same stadium. We can talk about how on paper Alabama would crush this team or that team but they never showed it on the field. Thats where it matter not whatever concoction is in the your brain about what makes sense. 

Same goes for UGA v TCU or Michigan v TCU... but until they play, we don't know. That's why we need the expansion IMO. People like Bill doesn't think anyone else matters but SEC teams (maybe a Big 10 team or two every so often). He completely rules out the Big XII or PAC12 has any shot v those conferences... even though I have shown, the Big XII has DOMINATED the other power 5 conferences the past few years. 

Bill and his BS gets so old. The world doesn't revolve around the SEC.

10 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Alabama had a rough (10 win) season. This by the way was the 15th time in a row that they won 10 games. Not so bad for a team that was average at best when the universally hated Coach Saban took over. You see, as a lifelong Crimson Tide Fan I am not forced to sing the blues over feeling like I was screwed over in 2011, or some other abstract year.

If you read my posts on this thread, you will NOT find one in which I said that this Alabama team deserves a playoff spot. On the contrary, I said before and will say again that they do not. Now, if they woud have pulled out a win in one of their 2 losses (by a combined 4 points mind you), I would be singing a different tune, at least until the conference championship game.  Next year will also be a question mark with the loss of Bryce Young. I am hoping that an improved OL and DL will help make up for the loss, at least to some degree. Either way, they will be able to compete with the best of teams. They have to, just by virtue of playing in the SEC.

Btw, please do tell us about your favorite team.

Edited by Bill from NYC

48 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Alabama had a rough (10 win) season. This by the way was the 15th time in a row that they won 10 games. Not so bad for a team that was average at best when the universally hated Coach Saban took over. You see, as a lifelong Crimson Tide Fan I am not forced to sing the blues over feeling like I was screwed over in 2011, or some other abstract year.

If you read my posts on this thread, you will NOT find one in which I said that this Alabama team deserves a playoff spot. On the contrary, I said before and will say again that they do not. Now, if they woud have pulled out a win in one of their 2 losses (by a combined 4 points mind you), I would be singing a different tune, at least until the conference championship game.  Next year will also be a question mark with the loss of Bryce Young. I am hoping that an improved OL and DL will help make up for the loss, at least to some point. Either way, they will be able to compete with the best of teams. They have to, just by virtue of playing in the SEC.

That's because Alabama football is a blue blood program who gets 5-star kids 3 deep at every spot. A HOF coach. 

Again, you just don't get it. You are spoiled dude. Best example is look at the Pats and their fans. YOU are the Patriots of college football. 

15 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

That's because Alabama football is a blue blood program who gets 5-star kids 3 deep at every spot. A HOF coach. 

Again, you just don't get it. You are spoiled dude. Best example is look at the Pats and their fans. YOU are the Patriots of college football. 

Maybe so. But what you don't seem to get is that The Crimson Tide are not handed anything. Saban tells the world his coaching methods in virtually every interview. He isn't keeping secrets wrt what he feels that it takes to win. Hell, even McDermott runs around talking about the "process," a term invented by Saban. The trick is to work as hard as Saban does.

Saban loses his OC, DC, and untold other assistants constantly. You know this very well, whereas even Daboll was another Saban rehab. He has former assistants all over the NCAA making millions upon millions of dollars.

And let me say once again, NIL has REALLY changed things. College football players running the streets with hundreds of thousands of dollars in their pockets has altered the dynamics of the game. These kids are harder to motivate. If you don't believe me ask Jimbo Fisher, who had the highest ranked recruiting class of all time and is what, 4-7? Coach Saban must adapt to this and I'm sure that he can and will.

One last thing....Oklahoma is not the garden spot of the USA, and neither is Alabama!!! It isn't like being in Alabama offers the kids an exciting atmosphere like USC perhaps. My point is that other teams have a big recruiting edge over Alabama (and Okla. St.) in terms of location.

Anyway, I'm just a fan enjoying the ride. :) 

Edited by Bill from NYC

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe so. But what you don't seem to get is that The Crimson Tide are not handed anything. Saban tells the world his coaching methods in virtually every interview. He isn't keeping secrets wrt what he feels that it takes to win. Hell, even McDermott runs around talking about the "process," a term invented by Saban. The trick is to work as hard as Saban does.

Saban loses his OC, DC, and untold other assistants constantly. You know this very well, whereas even Daboll was another Saban rehab. He has former assistants all over the NCAA making millions upon millions of dollars.

And let me say once again, NIL has REALLY changed things. College football players running the streets with hundreds of thousands of dollars in their pockets has altered the dynamics of the game. These kids are harder to motivate. If you don't believe me ask Jimbo Fisher, who had the highest ranked recruiting class of all time and is what, 4-7? Coach Saban must adapt to this and I'm sure that he can andf will.

One last thing....Oklahoma is not the garden spot of the USA, and neither is Alabama!!! It isn't like being in Alabama offers the kids an exciting atmosphere like USC perhaps. My point is that other teams have a big recruiting edge over Alabama (and Okla. St.) in terms of location.

Anyway, I'm just a fan enjoying the ride. :) 

I'm not arguing how Alabama is, how good they historically are or how good they've been the past 15 years. I'm arguing that the SEC isn't the only conference. I'm arguing your opinion on the Big XII is way off. I'm arguing your claim about TCU's SOS is wrong. 

We talk about the Playoffs and conferences, then you bring it back around to Alabama. Alabama is a non-factor this year in this discussion. 

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

If you read my posts on this thread, you will NOT find one in which I said that this Alabama team deserves a playoff spot. On the contrary, I said before and will say again that they do not. Now, if they woud have pulled out a win in one of their 2 losses (by a combined 4 points mind you), I would be singing a different tune, at least until the conference championship game.  Next year will also be a question mark with the loss of Bryce Young. I am hoping that an improved OL and DL will help make up for the loss, at least to some point. Either way, they will be able to compete with the best of teams. They have to, just by virtue of playing in the SEC.

Florida State the original team who finished top 10 multiple years in a row and if they had the luxury of 4 team playoffs would have many more national titles in their case. The team that is 2-0 against the SEC this year including a win over the SEC West Champs LSU who beat Alabama.  So please express your SEC dominance on me about how the little ACC can’t compete when their 3rd place team beat the SEC west champion and their rival Florida and will get another chance probably in the Gator Bowl against USC, Kentucky, or Miss.  

Unlike you I root for one team. So spare me the SEC dominance of the other ACC teams cause unlike SEC fans I don’t root for other ACC teams. I want Clemson to crash and others to crash and burn 

And no I’m not bragging and yes they have stunk but unlike you I can honestly say I’m very happy for Mike Norvell and FSU this year. They exceeded expectations and are on their way back. 

There I think I saved you a bunch of time by catching all of your rebuttals before you can spew them back at me. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Congrats to you for Florida State perhaps coming out of their long term doldrums. I remember the feeling when The Crimson Tide pretty much sucked. 

That said, the ACC IS a second rate conference, SO bad that it enables Clemson to coast into the playoffs seemingly at will, although even Clemson is not all that this season now are they?  

And for the record I do not root for other SEC teams, other than perhaps Arkansas because I lived there for a couple of months and was treated well. I don't care if Georgia wins or loses against TCU or USC. It is just my sincere opinion that Georgia will dog walk either one of those teams. This is my opinion to which I would seem to be allowed have, just as you are entitled to yours. 

Oh and if you want to compare the programs of Alabama and FSU, do start here if you will. 

24 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Congrats to you for Florida State perhaps coming out of their long term doldrums. I remember the feeling when The Crimson Tide pretty much sucked. 

That said, the ACC IS a second rate conference, SO bad that it enables Clemson to coast into the playoffs seemingly at will, although even Clemson is not all that this season now are they?  

And for the record I do not root for other SEC teams, other than perhaps Arkansas because I lived there for a couple of months and was treated well. I don't care if Georgia wins or loses against TCU or USC. It is just my sincere opinion that Georgia will dog walk either one of those teams. This is my opinion to which I would seem to be allowed have, just as you are entitled to yours. 

Oh and if you want to compare the programs of Alabama and FSU, do start here if you will. 

I don’t care lol 

15 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Florida State the original team who finished top 10 multiple years in a row and if they had the luxury of 4 team playoffs would have many more national titles in their case. The team that is 2-0 against the SEC this year including a win over the SEC West Champs LSU who beat Alabama.  So please express your SEC dominance on me about how the little ACC can’t compete when their 3rd place team beat the SEC west champion and their rival Florida and will get another chance probably in the Gator Bowl against USC, Kentucky, or Miss.  

Unlike you I root for one team. So spare me the SEC dominance of the other ACC teams cause unlike SEC fans I don’t root for other ACC teams. I want Clemson to crash and others to crash and burn 

And no I’m not bragging and yes they have stunk but unlike you I can honestly say I’m very happy for Mike Norvell and FSU this year. They exceeded expectations and are on their way back. 

There I think I saved you a bunch of time by catching all of your rebuttals before you can spew them back at me. 

You're arguing with a brick wall. I continue to do the same. 

Alabama/SEC fan that thinks all the other conferences are worthless and need to drop down to FCS (D2) so the entire world can see how amazing teams like Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Missouri actually are. 

The best team in the Big XII or the ACC would finish 10th in the SEC because? They are the SEC and Bill says so. Forget the actual national experts and computers who think teams like TCU have a top 10 SOS (some have them #1) it's invaild because Bill thinks otherwise. 

Bill knows all

Bill loves easy winners so he roots for Alabama

Bill says the SEC is the only conference that matters 

3 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

You're arguing with a brick wall. I continue to do the same. 

Alabama/SEC fan that thinks all the other conferences are worthless and need to drop down to FCS (D2) so the entire world can see how amazing teams like Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Missouri actually are. 

The best team in the Big XII or the ACC would finish 10th in the SEC because? They are the SEC and Bill says so. Forget the actual national experts and computers who think teams like TCU have a top 10 SOS (some have them #1) it's invaild because Bill thinks otherwise. 

Bill knows all

Bill loves easy winners so he roots for Alabama

Bill says the SEC is the only conference that matters 

Don't be an ass and misquote me. 

Certainly you have better things to do, like to sit around and watch tapes of the Big 12, PAC 12, ACC (other than Clemson) piling up all of their playoff wins. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.