College Football Playoff & Conference Championships - Projections

ArdmoreRyno

I'm interested in hearing who you believe will make it to the College Football Playoffs this year and who will win their conference championship (winner in bold). Mid-Season projections... 

SEC - UGA v Alabama

Big XII - Oklahoma State v TCU

B1G: - Ohio State v Illinois 

ACC - Clemson v UNC

PAC 12 - Oregon v USC

CFP

1. UGA 

2. Ohio State

3. Clemson

4. USC

New Year Six teams

Orange Bowl: North Carolina v Tennessee

Sugar Bowl: Alabama v Oklahoma State

Cotton Bowl: TCU v Ole Miss
Rose Bowl: Oregon v Michigan

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just realized the first CFP ranking is this Tuesday. I predict it will be UGA, TN, Ohio St, Mich

Agreed. Possible Clemson jumps in there at #4 with them getting a 1st place vote in the AP. Possibly see TCU at that spot. Maybe.

Would be a damn shame to see Alabama in there. 

23 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Agreed. Possible Clemson jumps in there at #4 with them getting a 1st place vote in the AP. Possibly see TCU at that spot. Maybe.

That would be a shocker if Alabama were in it.

• Agree 1

On 10/26/2022 at 12:54 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Maybe Oklahoma State will slide in there instead!

Hey, they ARE first rate, no?

On 10/30/2022 at 11:37 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe Oklahoma State will slide in there instead!

Hey, they ARE first rate, no?

I never said we would. I thought before the season started, we'd be a top 4 team in the Big XII. I didn't think we'd even have a shot for the Big XII title game again with so many lost on defense and losing our star RB. But we managed until last week. Offensive line has been patched together with ducktape and rope the past 3 weeks. Somehow managed to come back 17 down to beat Texas with players who were 3rd on the depth chart in week one.

Top RB, top WR, 3 starting OL, two starting DE, 2 DB's - all out for the Kansas State game. Still would have lost the game if they played, but again... really banged up.

All that said, I was talking about... and I didn't think Alabama deserves to be in the CFP this year. Still don't..  It would STILL be a damn shame if an 11-1 Alabama makes it in over a TCU who might be 13-0. That's what I'm talking about dude. Doesn't have anything to do with OSU

23 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

If the committee was looking only at Resumes and not name brands the top 4 of the playoffs in my opinion should be 1. Tennessee 2. Georgia 3. TCU 4. Ohio State

Agreed. I think I'd put Ohio State at 3 over TCU. The Horned Frogs are GOOD, but they should have lost to my Pokes and barely got by Kansas and WVU.

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I never said we would. I thought before the season started, we'd be a top 4 team in the Big XII. I didn't think we'd even have a shot for the Big XII title game again with so many lost on defense and losing our star RB. But we managed until last week. Offensive line has been patched together with ducktape and rope the past 3 weeks. Somehow managed to come back 17 down to beat Texas with players who were 3rd on the depth chart in week one.

Top RB, top WR, 3 starting OL, two starting DE, 2 DB's - all out for the Kansas State game. Still would have lost the game if they played, but again... really banged up.

All that said, I was talking about... and I didn't think Alabama deserves to be in the CFP this year. Still don't..  It would STILL be a damn shame if an 11-1 Alabama makes it in over a TCU who might be 13-0. That's what I'm talking about dude. Doesn't have anything to do with OSU

Agreed. I think I'd put Ohio State at 3 over TCU. The Horned Frogs are GOOD, but they should have lost to my Pokes and barely got by Kansas and WVU.

I actually think there is an argument for TCU to be # 2 right now but Georgias win over Oregon puts them over. I disagree with Ohio State over TCU if you look at where teams are at now. ND is unranked, and they beat Penn State who's ranked 16th. Those are Ohio States only two quality wins right now

TCU on the other hand has beaten # 13 in the country KSU and # 19 in the country OSU. Those two wins are better than Ohio States two wins. You can't even really claim the depth of their victories is better because TCU beat Oklahoma and Kansas two very solid teams this year. 

53 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I actually think there is an argument for TCU to be # 2 right now but Georgias win over Oregon puts them over. I disagree with Ohio State over TCU if you look at where teams are at now. ND is unranked, and they beat Penn State who's ranked 16th. Those are Ohio States only two quality wins right now

TCU on the other hand has beaten # 13 in the country KSU and # 19 in the country OSU. Those two wins are better than Ohio States two wins. You can't even really claim the depth of their victories is better because TCU beat Oklahoma and Kansas two very solid teams this year. 

ND did just beat up Syracuse on the road. I think Ohio State is better due to their defense and the fact, basically none of the games were close... at all. The closest game was the game at Penn State, right? We know Happy Valley isn't the easiest place to play and they were due for a 'let down' at some point where their defense wasn't near perfect. Besides the PSU 13 point win, no other team was in the same league as the Buckeyes,

TCU CLOSE CALLS

SMU: Was a one score game with 2:30 left in the game, gave up 34 points and nearly 500 yards

KU: Won by 7 points against a KU team with their backup QB in the game. Game was tied with 1:30 to play. Frogs gave up 540 yards on defense

OSU: Beat my Pokes by 3 in doubt OT. Cowboys QB Spencer Sanders was at about 70% for the game. OSU was up 17 points at one point and TCU gave up 400 yards

KSU: Wildcats were up 18 at one point and it was a one score game nearly the entire 2nd half. KSU put up 400 yards on TCU. K-State is GOOD though.

WVU: Was a 34-31 game with :20 seconds to play. WVU is terrible this year. TCU allowed 430 yards of offense

Not sure how Ohio State would be ranked behind TCU. Ohio State has again, dominated every game they've played other than the Penn State game. Can't say that about TCU. Disagree about OU being "solid". 0-49 v Texas isn't what a solid team does. Dillion Gabriel only played a quarter for OU in the TCU game.  Same goes for my Pokes. 

#6 in total defense (tOSU) vs #89 (TCU)

24 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

ND did just beat up Syracuse on the road. I think Ohio State is better due to their defense and the fact, basically none of the games were close... at all. The closest game was the game at Penn State, right? We know Happy Valley isn't the easiest place to play and they were due for a 'let down' at some point where their defense wasn't near perfect. Besides the PSU 13 point win, no other team was in the same league as the Buckeyes,

TCU CLOSE CALLS

SMU: Was a one score game with 2:30 left in the game, gave up 34 points and nearly 500 yards

KU: Won by 7 points against a KU team with their backup QB in the game. Game was tied with 1:30 to play. Frogs gave up 540 yards on defense

OSU: Beat my Pokes by 3 in doubt OT. Cowboys QB Spencer Sanders was at about 70% for the game. OSU was up 17 points at one point and TCU gave up 400 yards

KSU: Wildcats were up 18 at one point and it was a one score game nearly the entire 2nd half. KSU put up 400 yards on TCU. K-State is GOOD though.

WVU: Was a 34-31 game with :20 seconds to play. WVU is terrible this year. TCU allowed 430 yards of offense

Not sure how Ohio State would be ranked behind TCU. Ohio State has again, dominated every game they've played other than the Penn State game. Can't say that about TCU. Disagree about OU being "solid". 0-49 v Texas isn't what a solid team does. Dillion Gabriel only played a quarter for OU in the TCU game.  Same goes for my Pokes. 

#6 in total defense (tOSU) vs #89 (TCU)

Oklahoma is solid when Dillion Gabriel is the QB. Without him they are terrible.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I just realized the first CFP ranking is this Tuesday. I predict it will be UGA, TN, Ohio St, Mich

Tennessee has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to jump Ohio State.

This is why we need a 12 team playoff NEXT SEASON... sick of the SEC cycle of schedule cupcakes, inflate SEC team rankings, they play each other inflating them more... this past weekend UNRANKED LSU beat #7 Ole Miss... that's how bad it is.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Tennessee has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to jump Ohio State.

This is why we need a 12 team playoff NEXT SEASON... sick of the SEC cycle of schedule cupcakes, inflate SEC team rankings, they play each other inflating them more... this past weekend UNRANKED LSU beat #7 Ole Miss... that's how bad it is.

You don't think UT Martin is a powerhouse team to play in week 8? lol

AGREE completely. This is why we (those pro expansion) are happy about going from 4 to 12 teams. We are here talking about teams like Alabama with a loss v a TCU team with no losses, or Tenn v Ohio State. 

12 team playoff will help settle a lot of this. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Honestly should probably be Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and the winner of the Ohio State/Michigan game

1 plays 3 this weekend so for now that will be worked out. 2 plays 5 later in the year so that could/will be worked out. Alabama will likely play UGA or Tennessee. What will be interesting is how committee views Clemson the rest of the way in weakest conference out of SEC B1G ACC

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

1 plays 3 this weekend so for now that will be worked out. 2 plays 5 later in the year so that could/will be worked out. Alabama will likely play UGA or Tennessee. What will be interesting is how committee views Clemson the rest of the way in weakest conference out of SEC B1G ACC

The PAC 12 is almost as bad, no? 

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I guess depending on how this weekend's game goes and the SEC Championship.  If they are both close and exciting.... give me a few more rounds in the playoff for all the marbles along with Ohio State or Michigan.  

This is a season where an expanded playoff would be a good thing.

If TCU runs the table, they have as much (or more) of a claim than Clemson IMO

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I guess depending on how this weekend's game goes and the SEC Championship.  If they are both close and exciting.... give me a few more rounds in the playoff for all the marbles along with Ohio State or Michigan.  

This is a season where an expanded playoff would be a good thing.

If TCU runs the table, they have as much (or more) of a claim than Clemson IMO

I won’t be surprised to see Clemson struggle tomorrow night at ND. ND isn’t great but its supposed to be atrocious weather and their Qb situation is murky.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.