Can anyone explain this Bills jersey number oddity from the late 80's?

BLeonard

As for why there were different styles at the same time, my guess would be that there were leftover 2s and as the equipment guys had to change out worn numbers — they were HTV (heat transfer vinyl) then — they just used what they had in stock, or were told to / had a tacit understanding to do that from above before new #s were ordered.

So, yes, it was literally a “Ralph is cheap” deal.

By the by, I’m trying to do a jersey rehab on a 90s Jim Kelly jersey, as some of the layering of the numbers peeled in the wash. Ordered some new adhesive backed tackle twill iron-and-then-sew-on numbers on eBay. Getting that vinyl off 30 years later is a £€^%ing bear! Even with acetone, it’s extremely slow going.

09C15846-B28A-4348-8AB9-C765E0BE7E3B.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Mango said:

Really interesting catch. But weird it’s driving you this crazy.

Besides the obvious OCD, the simplest answer is, I had a replica while he was playing and it was correct, having the diagonal 2.  The box 2 just looks so off to me, because he wore the diagonal two.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

After reviewing your evidence I am convinced, more than ever, that there was a second shooter.

The grassy knoll strikes again.  Now that’s one magic loogie.

Back and to the left, back and to the left…

There had to be a 2nd spitter, from the gravely road.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

Besides the obvious OCD, the simplest answer is, I had a replica while he was playing and it was correct, having the diagonal 2.  The box 2 just looks so off to me, because he wore the diagonal two.

I get not buying the jersey because of it, but I think it's hilarious that you are having a tough time with any other jersey. it is weird that the away jersey seems to have it with the boxed 2. The whole thing is pretty odd but I am pretty interested. 

Also, I have friends that have Kelly as a family friend. He is a grade A wiener head. Go get yourself a Bruce Smith or Thurman Thomas jersey and forget about it. 

12 minutes ago, UConn James said:

As for why there were different styles at the same time, my guess would be that there were leftover 2s and as the equipment guys had to change out worn numbers — they were HTV (heat transfer vinyl) then — they just used what they had in stock, or were told to / had a tacit understanding to do that from above before new #s were ordered.

So, yes, it was literally a “Ralph is cheap” deal.

By the by, I’m trying to do a jersey rehab on a 90s Jim Kelly jersey, as some of the layering of the numbers peeled in the wash. Ordered some new adhesive backed tackle twill iron-and-then-sew-on numbers on eBay. Getting that vinyl off 30 years later is a £€^%ing bear! Even with acetone, it’s extremely slow going.

09C15846-B28A-4348-8AB9-C765E0BE7E3B.jpeg

I know some places can replace the nameplates nowadays.  Curious as to if places like that would have the resources to help you at all.

The other thought that crept into my head as a possible explanation was that I know Champion took over their jerseys somewhere in that timeframe (the jersey you have is a Champion, as the logo is on the white stripe).  I guess it's possible that Champion used the diagonal numbers, while the previous manufacturer used the box numbers?

Then there's the case of when OJ Simpson was playing:

OJ.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

I know some places can replace the nameplates nowadays.  Curious as to if places like that would have the resources to help you at all.

The other thought that crept into my head as a possible explanation was that I know Champion took over their jerseys somewhere in that timeframe (the jersey you have is a Champion, as the logo is on the white stripe).  I guess it's possible that Champion used the diagonal numbers, while the previous manufacturer used the box numbers?

Then there's the case of when OJ Simpson was playing:

OJ.jpg

I believe the Jersey supplier switched in 1987 to Champion? But the previous supplier used stitched on numbers, not the heat transfer that @UConn James talks about above. I could be wrong but I don't think they would be using stiched on with heat transfer numbers.

This is Kelly in 86, also last year of the blue facemask, and that number plate is stitched on.
hj5mq1qpmvahhlpobnlr.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

I also obsess over this stuff and found that Mitchell and Ness and Ebbets Field Flannels are often times lazy in their depiction of throwback gear.

Also, in the late 80s, early 90s, some players had the "TV" numbers on the shoulders, while others had them on the sleeves.  Jamie Mueller and Flip Johnson come to mind.

Mueller.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I believe the Jersey supplier switched in 1987 to Champion? But the previous supplier used stitched on numbers, not the heat transfer that @UConn James talks about above. I could be wrong but I don't think they would be using stiched on with heat transfer numbers.

This is Kelly in 86, also last year of the blue facemask, and that number plate is stitched on.
hj5mq1qpmvahhlpobnlr.jpg

Looking at this, I just had another potential thought.

That jersey and looking at a lot of other pics of Kelly from 1986, the part where the numbers are is practically mesh, especially compared to the shoulders and sleeves.  Makes me wonder if they still had some of those type of jerseys (which would have the box 2 on them) while new jerseys were at the bottom of the pile, waiting to be used when the older ones were no longer salvageable.

If they just got jerseys in bulk and then stitched the names and numbers on as needed, it could be that they used the rest of the old 2's up and then switched the the new one, as someone said earlier.  Probably didn't help that there was a strike in the middle of the 87 season.  Maybe some of the replacement players kept their jerseys, thus forcing the team to get some new ones on short notice?

• Like (+1) 2

I have an autographed framed Kelly jersey that is the Mitchell & Ness version with the "block" 2 number. The strange thing is that it has small game photos of Kelly in each of the 4 corners of the frame, and he's wearing jerseys with the regular 2 in all of them. I remember looking it up when I noticed & came to the conclusion that Mitchell & Ness just must've been lazy.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I also obsess over this stuff and found that Mitchell and Ness and Ebbets Field Flannels are often times lazy in their depiction of throwback gear.

Also, in the late 80s, early 90s, some players had the "TV" numbers on the shoulders, while others had them on the sleeves.  Jamie Mueller and Flip Johnson come to mind.

Mueller.jpg

Yeah, I know most people will say "who cares?" but sometimes, to some people, the details matter.  I mean, I'm not even a Yankees fan, but it just looks wrong seeing a Babe Ruth jersey with the name "RUTH" on the back.  Now, I never saw him play live (obviously) and his number was retired more than a quarter century before I was born.  But, again, it just looks wrong.

I guess I noticed the thing with the TV numbers on shoulders, but I assumed that they were up there if the player had big-ass shoulder pads, like Mueller, where it looks like the numbers wouldn't be seen if they were on the sleeves.  Certainly not the case with Flip Johnson, though.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

Looking at this, I just had another potential thought.

That jersey and looking at a lot of other pics of Kelly from 1986, the part where the numbers are is practically mesh, especially compared to the shoulders and sleeves.  Makes me wonder if they still had some of those type of jerseys (which would have the box 2 on them) while new jerseys were at the bottom of the pile, waiting to be used when the older ones were no longer salvageable.

If they just got jerseys in bulk and then stitched the names and numbers on as needed, it could be that they used the rest of the old 2's up and then switched the the new one, as someone said earlier.  Probably didn't help that there was a strike in the middle of the 87 season.  Maybe some of the replacement players kept their jerseys, thus forcing the team to get some new ones on short notice?

It wouldn't suprise me, from 87-00 the jerseys didn't really change, looks wise, home or away. The stripes on the sleeves changed in 85-86, then didn't change again until the Bills jersey revamp in 00. It's entirely possible they had mixed jerseys out on the field. This was before the NFL had official sponsors and I mean, Ralph is cheap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.