2022 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Philadelphia Phillies

Gugny

Figured I'd start a thread specific to the Series, since we've got a nice-sized handful of serious baseball fans.

As a Mets fan, it's been a tough post-season with regard of picking teams to root for in the DS and CS series.

But this was the matchup I was hoping for once the Mets were eliminated and I think we're in for an entertaining series.  I've been all-in on the Phillies since the Padres beat the Mets and I'm not stopping now.

My prediction:  Phillies in six.

• Like (+1) 1

Braves fan here as you know Gugny, and after being beaten by the Phillies (they are getting hot right now) I was rooting for Padres then Phils in the NL and the Guardians in the AL. So I guess process of elimination leaves me to be rooting for the Phillies in the WS.

I guess I am happy if the Braves dont win, that neither the Yankees or Doyers are

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Figured I'd start a thread specific to the Series, since we've got a nice-sized handful of serious baseball fans.

As a Mets fan, it's been a tough post-season with regard of picking teams to root for in the DS and CS series.

But this was the matchup I was hoping for once the Mets were eliminated and I think we're in for an entertaining series.  I've been all-in on the Phillies since the Padres beat the Mets and I'm not stopping now.

My prediction:  Phillies in six.

Maybe slightly odd but I never disliked the Phillies growing up even as a Mets fan.  Growing up and even now it’s a more convenient trip if I wanna see the Mets.  So I’m pulling for them too.

But I think it’s gonna be Houston in 6 

• Like (+1) 1

Mets fan so there's no way I can root for the Phillies. Plus Wheeler and Thor winning one for a long time rival would make it a tougher pill to swallow. I have nothing against either player, but it would be another reminder of unmet (get it?) expectations.

I'm past the Astros cheating, but it's not like I'll be popping champagne if they win.

Is this like stadium renderings, or is this really happening? 

Baseball kinda feels like waiting for a rendering. 

My apologies to all I have just offended. But I feel so FREE! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Damn, just turned on WS after watching hockey - rock 'em sock 'em start. Bottom 4, 5-3 Astros.

I missed the game, but when I checked the score it was 5-5 in the 5th.  At that time, I had no idea that Verlander blew a 5-0 lead.

Verlander is one of those pitchers who's always had my respect, regardless of the team he's on.  For him to be 0-6 with an ERA north of 6 for his World Series career is absolutely mind-boggling.  

Goes to show that these guys are human, too.

Would love to see Wheeler pitch lights out tonight.  He was a great Met and I'm happy that he's done well since leaving.

A 2-0 lead wouldn't mean this series is over against a team like the Astros.  But man ... it would be tough.

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I missed the game, but when I checked the score it was 5-5 in the 5th.  At that time, I had no idea that Verlander blew a 5-0 lead.

Verlander is one of those pitchers who's always had my respect, regardless of the team he's on.  For him to be 0-6 with an ERA north of 6 for his World Series career is absolutely mind-boggling.  

Goes to show that these guys are human, too.

Would love to see Wheeler pitch lights out tonight.  He was a great Met and I'm happy that he's done well since leaving.

A 2-0 lead wouldn't mean this series is over against a team like the Astros.  But man ... it would be tough.

I had no idea Verlander was 0-6 in the WS.  Doesn't change my opinion of him, he's a beast. Read something recently suggesting the Mets should consider him over DeGrom and it was hard to disagree with.

Nothing against Wheeler personally but I feel like the Mets never got his best. How many years was he a Met and never had a defining moment. Plus !@#$ the Phillies!

Anybody check to see if Altuve was wearing a wire before he got the Astros going last night?

10 hours ago, Rico said:

So, the 6th best team in the NL has a chance to be World Series champions? MLB is garbage. :thumbdown:

It's the playoffs.  The game of baseball doesn't need playoffs.  162 games are the playoffs. Let any team in, and there surely will be upsets. The game isn't designed for a playoff freakshow.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1

AP Sports
@AP_Sports
The entire World Series schedule was pushed back a day by Monday's rain out in Philadelphia. Game 5 on Thursday will now compete with an NFL game that has, of all teams, the undefeated Philadelphia Eagles in Houston against the Texans.

11 hours ago, T&C said:

AP Sports
@AP_Sports
The entire World Series schedule was pushed back a day by Monday's rain out in Philadelphia. Game 5 on Thursday will now compete with an NFL game that has, of all teams, the undefeated Philadelphia Eagles in Houston against the Texans.

That “last channel” button on the remote is gonna get a workout in Houston and Philly!

Phillies dodged a bullet with the rain delay.  I think Syndergaard would have gotten absolutely smoked by the Astros.  Now, they don't need him to start until Game 5.

Suarez and Nola will start games 3 and 4, respectively.

I think the Phillies need to win both of those games in order to have any chance of winning the Series.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.