Colts benching Matt Ryan per Reich Benched regardless of injury

Big Blitz

When stuff like this happens, I love to go read the team's board. The Colts board is fun right now. They of course have a poster who called for Ehlinger to start since training camp. People are saying that he's the next Jalen Hurts. People think that he'll be like rookie Russell Wilson. One person even brought up Tom Brady due to draft position. 

Funny thing is that at 3-3-1 the Colts are still in the Playoff picture.

7 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

And Jalen Hurts is like Tua minus the concussions. Those guys just do play-action and roll outs. Neither can do a 5 step drop and hit a guy in a tight window. I wouldn't be holding either as some kind of level of competent QB play

Jalen Hurts is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  He is most likely never going to be a Mahomes or Allen, but he doesn't need

to be.  It's no different than a number of years ago when it was Brady and Manning.

Hurts in a capable QB who needs to perform what he does as well as he can, and the team puts players around him to succeed as much

as possible.

Where these wheels will fall off is next March when he should be signing a new contract.  Right now, Spotrac has his "Market Value" at

$800k more per year than Josh Allen.  He will never live up to it.  There is the disconnect I'm talking about.

The one game i saw that guy fill in he did really good & if Matty Ice isn't doing it they need to look to the future ASAP he may be able to salvage some of the season for them he is definitely more mobile than Matt .

I hate it because i thought this might be a come back year for Matt but it's not looking that way . 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ryan may have an injury but I think the Colts are using it as a way to get Ryan out of the lineup and let him save face. He has by and large been atrocious. Ehlinger flashed for them in the preseason. Looked real sharp. 

In any event, I believe this is the slow rattle of death on the Frank Reich era in Indy. 

Why blame Reich if  the gm is deciding who to sign or trade for?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Aside from the QB revolving door circus over the past several seasons, one thing that continues to plaque the Colts is their tendency for slow starts week after week.  They always seem to be playing from behind, which further challenges their QB and o-line, not to mention taking J. Taylor out of the equation.  Slow starts under Frank have been pretty common.

Frank must be harkening back to the huge comeback playoff game against the Oilers.

IIRC, Frank also had a large come from behind victory when he played at Maryland.

"Down 20 points?"  Aah, nothin' to it!

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Complete tire fire of a team. The definition of purgatory. Gotta feel bad for Jonathan Taylor. 

To be honest....at the time I thought Frank and Schwartz would have been the coaching dream team for us.

Edited by nosejob

I thought that Reich’s head coaching career was brilliant factoring in the purgatory aspect all the way up until week 15 last year.  Then with the disaster at the end of last year he panicked when he scapegoated Wentz.  Defenses at least had to respect Wentz’s arm/mobility enough to move out of the 9 man box that old Matty has faced all year.  

Edited by Charles Romes

34 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

I absolutely believe they did tank for Luck (or "Suck for Luck").

Behind Payton, they had only Curtis Painter to man the QB spot.

Irsay can deny it, but I am certain they intentionally tanked.

They signed Kerry Collins while Manning's availability for the season was still up in the air.  Kerry Collins started the 1st 3 games of the season, not Painter.  Collins got a bad concussion & never played again.  They couldn't just dial up another QB a month into the season & were stuck with the guy who was originally their 3rd stringer as the starter. 

If Irsay was that serious about tanking & was in on it, why did the coach & GM both get fired after the season?   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

Why blame Reich if  the gm is deciding who to sign or trade for?

Ballard is most likely done as well. Reports are Irsey is growing tired of both. However considering that Reich spent 3 years as QB Coach and offensive coordinator in San Diego with Phillip Rivers and the went to Philly where he coached both Wentz and Foles...I doubt those 3 were brought in without his input. Ryan is a tad more random...but it likely was their last option at QB once Rodgers, Russ and everyone else were signed or traded. 

In any event, it may very well be time for fresh eyes on the problems in Indy.

1 hour ago, Poleshifter said:

Frank must be harkening back to the huge comeback playoff game against the Oilers.

IIRC, Frank also had a large come from behind victory when he played at Maryland.

"Down 20 points?"  Aah, nothin' to it!

Still the greatest comeback in college history. Not sure if the Oilers game is still the record....but he had them both.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

I absolutely believe they did tank for Luck (or "Suck for Luck").

Behind Payton, they had only Curtis Painter to man the QB spot.

Irsay can deny it, but I am certain they intentionally tanked.

I really doubt it.

They gave him a five-year $90M extension in July, after the surgery. There would have been zero reason to do that if they were tanking.

They thought he was going to get better.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.