Do you talk or argue to co workers about sports?

Another Fan

Where I work there’s only a few sport fans.  There’s one guy that’s a Patriot fan but I’ll just get annoyed if I talk football with him, so I don’t even go there with him

One guy likes the Yankees here.  They’re not my team but since I like him sometimes I’d ask about Judge.  Ditto for a co worker here about the Eagles.  Sometimes I’ll just ask how they did on Sunday.  A team I’m pretty neutral about.

So yeah sports talk comes up occasionally with me but it’s not common. 

At my last place of employment, where I worked for 6+ years, there was only one guy in the office who liked sports.  We didn't have any favorite teams in common, but we always had great sports-related conversations.

My current place of employment is headquartered in Houston.  On one of my trips out there, a bunch of us went to dinner.  They were all avid sports fans.  When the Astros came up, I had to bring up the cheating.  I clearly pissed a couple of guys off, but it never got heated or anything.

That said ... Go Phillies!!

• Like (+1) 1

As I work for a major state university in Texas, talk at work is pretty much exclusively about college athletics. Outside of work, sometimes I wear my "Josh Allen draws the Buffalo Bills logo" T-shirt. Some people recognize the logo and I tell them the story behind it. In general, it is very well-received.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.  I live in WNY so it's pretty common.  I've had some jobs that were way more fun as far as the common sports fan aspect than others.  I started a new job over the Summer and it's not my favorite place as far as the Sports fans but I also keep in touch with some of my old co-workers I used to talk sports with.  At the end of the day we always have these boards to fall back on if we can't get any good Sports discussions going at the office ;)

• Like (+1) 1

Only surface level friendly chats. There might be one or two true NFL fans, most don’t watch, only watch the Bills or just follow for the fun of the excitement of success.

Id liken it to a the obligatory weather comments that are often default when looking for some verbal filler.  

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

I’m semi-retired and don’t really have co-workers. When I did work in an office (or prior to that a kitchen) being in CA most of us were from other parts of the county. So we all supported different teams.  Even if we supported local LA teams we often supported different teams. Dodgers vs Angels, Kings vs Ducks, Lakers vs Clippers.  Having said that we talked sports incessantly but rarely argued. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I argue with a guy who runs several Fantasy Leagues.

He always uses fantasy to justify who is good. I don't think he even watches the games.

I will say that it's difficult to argue against stats.

I used to talk sports with several people at work, but many have stopped watching every game. Only highlights. AT one time, had a fan of every AFCE team to talk to..., but only the Pats fan remains. Surprisingly, he hates Brady now.

Currently work with a Raiders, Packers, Bears, Steelers, and Commanders fans... with the girls liking Cowboys... but most are into it for Fantasy.

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I talk sports with almost everyone all the time. I don’t mind talking to enemy fans either. 

I will say that the people I do try to avoid talking sports with are these fair weather types who are not knowledgeable about sports. 

I agree.

One of my biggest annoyances in having discussions regarding football teams/players, is when a fan relies on how a player is in his fantasy production to describe how good they are. 

I have a friend who is super into fantasy, yet knows little about actual NFL rosters, schemes, intricacies. It is so frustrating talking to him.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.