Refs asking Mike Evans for Autograph

Donuts and Doritos

17 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

The ref could have children, nephews or nieces who are a fan. I don’t have a problem with this. To make this an issue is silly.

Totally disagree.

It's just an ethical violation from top to bottom, totally unprofessional, and absolutely should not be allowed.

If this thing blows up, there will be a new rule outlawing it.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:
Update: Apparently there's already a rule about this:

Of course there is. It's basic conflict-of-interest. Being a ref is a privilege. If you abuse that privilege, you're done. There are plenty of others in line and capable of reffing a game.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Of course there is. It's basic conflict-of-interest. Being a ref is a privilege. If you abuse that privilege, you're done. There are plenty of others in line and capable of reffing a game.

I think he will definitely face some type of suspension considering the attention this video has gotten.

I always thought the refs were replaceable until I watched the 2012 season during the strike and realized that it could be much worse.

Then again, they weren't able to just take refs from the NCAA in the middle of the season so the prerequisites were just that you had seen a football game before and had 3 or fewer beers...

20 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:
Update: Apparently there's already a rule about this:

Makes sense, as others have mentioned it’s definitely a conflict of interest. I saw some talk upthread about the potential for a ref to make calls somewhat in favor of the players that give them autographs, and it’s definitely possible. It also would be hard for a player to say no to a ref for fear of unfavorable rulings in the future I would think. 

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Also, this isnt even their main, full-time job. Refs make decent money, but it is a secondary, part-time job for all of them. It's ridiculous that the NFL doesnt make it a full-time, primary job and get these guys in camps and workshops more.

It's half-and-half for most. Basically two full time jobs split. During the season, they are full time. This article explains their pay and structure as best as possible: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/how-much-do-nfl-referees-make/

Just now, Allen2Diggs said:

I think he will definitely face some type of suspension considering the attention this video has gotten.

I always thought the refs were replaceable until I watched the 2012 season during the strike and realized that it could be much worse.

Then again, they weren't able to just take refs from the NCAA in the middle of the season so the prerequisites were just that you had seen a football game before and had 3 or fewer beers...

Yeah, that was not a good representation of the referee pool. In this case, you're replacing one or two officials on a team.

In 2012, they had brand new full teams. Brand new head refs who hadn't ever worked a game.

3 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

While there's probably nothing here (as mentioned above, refs have families, kids, grandkids, etc. who are fans and might like a player), it still is a bad look and shouldn't happen.  This official should be fined or suspended or terminated.

Not to mention there's a possibility it isn't for anyone he even knows. Perhaps a disabled fan who really wanted an Evans autograph, for example.  It looks like two officials running to Evans, one handing something to the other, before Evans signs.  Like could be on a mission for someone. One can simply assume the worst, or think of possibilities that put the action in a better light. The point is, we really have no idea at the moment. It looks like two officials running to Evans, one handing something to the other, before Evans signs. 

Maybe just wait for the explanation before damming him for abusing his contact with the player for any personal gain. If that turns out to be the case, then by all means bash the guy. 

Now, if you want to say it was handled poorly, potential bad optics, that's fair, IMO.  I'm guessing there was a better way/time/place to go about that. But understand, bad optics aren't nearly as bad as bad actions.  It would behoove the league to issue a statement ASAP to address this, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

This makes more sense.

All I need to hear is that the ref went to A&M. THAT is already a bigger conflict of interest than asking for an autograph considering how tight that Aggie Alumni network stays. It makes absolute sense why those two would be talking and chumming it up.

Much ado about nothing.

edit: Some of my favorite comments:

"He probably asking Evans to sign the petition to get Jimbo fired"

"Tampa receivers already planning for the offseason"

🤣

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

People should just be ashamed of themselves for jumping to immediate conclusions and firing a referee for nothing.

I just do not get the rush to judgement in society today - everyone in the media wants to be first to report things without even knowing what they are reporting on.

Just make a few assumptions and fit it to your images.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.